70810 - MetalBeard's Sea Cow

Brickbuilder.g

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 9:47 AM, Ed Mack said:

Buying a set above MSRP is a proven success. My gains are on paper, but they are still legit. Ask me how my Cafe Corner did at $600 or Grand Carousel at $500 or Eiffel Tower at $400 and so on and so forth. I have bought dozens, if not hundreds of sets above retail and most appreciated very well... Well enough to cover fees and costs and make a nice profit. The Sea Cow could be a winner at $400-$500, just like the SSD was a winner at $500-$600, but there is something about this set in general that makes me wonder if it will hit $800-$1000. Maybe. Maybe nobody bought any. I did. Maybe not enough.

I wouldn't  mention the SC with the likes of CC GC SSD and the Eiffel Tower in the same sentence.
IMO buying the SC at $450- $500 to sell down the road wouldn't be wise.

For that, Get the DS instead.

Edited by Miami Bomb Squad

58 minutes ago, GhostDad said:

The sets you mentioned would seem to have a lot more going for them than Sea Cow.  Star Wars OT sets have decades of movies, books, and games behind the brand.  The Carousel just looks awesome, like an actual carousel.  Sea Cow looks like someone decided to build a lego boat using literally all their spare lego pieces.  That was the Lego Movie idea, I know, but I'm not sure it works outside the movie.

Yes.  Exactly.  There are those of us that aren't Master Builders.  As some one that isn't a MB, I could never design a ship as awesome as the Sea Cow.  But, building it and displaying it makes me feel like I can.

58 minutes ago, GhostDad said:

Now this part is obviously very subjective, but the only reason I'd display a big lego set is if I could imagine myself in it somehow, like a kid flying around a model X-wing, playing that he's Luke taking on the Empire.  I can't see myself in the Sea Cow.  It's a cartoon ship from a cartoon world.

Those are your opinions and feelings.  Not necessarily everyone else.  There are other people that feel just the opposite; they don't like Star Wars, but they did like the LEGO Movie.

32 minutes ago, JRandall said:

The Sea Cow was a lazy average design.  The only reason for the pop in price is that so few were purchased and it started at a $250 price point which was dumb in and of itself when the movie is directed primarily towards kids.  They could have done with a $100 ship set and spent time elsewhere. There's nothing special about this thing, in fact they should have put the effort into making a few more better larger Pirate Ships and another Imperial Flagship with a different design when they re-released those few Pirate sets last year.  Some of the decisions made by the LEGO group are irrational.

I'm 43, and felt like that movie was aimed more at me than at my kids.  Sure my kids enjoy it on a superficial level.  But there's actually a lot of depth in that movie.  There's quite a few characters the movie that I could either identify with.  Much like Rocky & Bullwinkle and Bugs Bunny, there are many different levels this movie can be enjoyed on.

32 minutes ago, JRandall said:

Some of the decisions made by the LEGO group are irrational.

From your point of view.  Not from their point of view.  LEGO is sitting on top of the toy world.  I'm sure they have some confidence that the decisions they've made over the last 10 years, to get them from as low as they were to being on top, makes them feel they know what they are doing.

Look, I'm not trying to change people's minds here.  I couldn't care less whether you like or not.  I'm very happy that people didn't horde this, as I think it will do well post EOL.  I do get tired of the constant poo poo'ing on this set, instead of just letting it go.  If you don't like it, just move on.  Let those of us that like it, enjoy it, and want to discuss it merits do that.  Just like with any other set.

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, JRandall said:

The Sea Cow was a lazy average design.  The only reason for the pop in price is that so few were purchased and it started at a $250 price point which was dumb in and of itself when the movie is directed primarily towards kids.  They could have done with a $100 ship set and spent time elsewhere. There's nothing special about this thing, in fact they should have put the effort into making a few more better larger Pirate Ships and another Imperial Flagship with a different design when they re-released those few Pirate sets last year.  Some of the decisions made by the LEGO group are irrational.

Couldn't disagree more 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Lordoflego said:

Couldn't disagree more 

Yea that really comes off like a troll post. I think the bashing now is just sour grapes. Turns out it was easy money and plenty missed out. 

I have loved this set ever since I built it. It looks great along side QAR and Imperial Flagship. It was a much more interesting and fun build than the other ships too. 

50 years ago, Lego Bricks were introduced to be used to explore the creativity & imagination for kids.    Although they have evolved over the last 50 years, there core business practice is still holds true today.  While the entry price point was a bit extreme for Sea Cow, its has early indications for quite a historic return in the future. 

"I'm 43, and felt like that movie was aimed more at me than at my kids.  Sure my kids enjoy it on a superficial level.  But there's actually a lot of depth in that movie.  There's quite a few characters the movie that I could either identify with.  Much like Rocky & Bullwinkle and Bugs Bunny, there are many different levels this movie can be enjoyed on. "

Well the movie was not aimed at you, it was aimed at kids not adults. If you can't differentiate between a movie for kids and a movie for adults I don't know what to tell you.

Those are your opinions and feelings.  Not necessarily everyone else.  There are other people that feel just the opposite; they don't like Star Wars, but they did like the LEGO Movie.

And you can probably count the number on your hand.  If you stopped 100 people on the street and asked them if they saw the Star Wars movie and then if they saw the LEGO Movie the box office numbers would speak for themselves.  The number of people who like Star Wars compared to those that may have seen the TLM is not even comparable.  It would probably be a difference of tens or hundreds of thousands of movie goers.

From your point of view.  Not from their point of view.  LEGO is sitting on top of the toy world.  I'm sure they have some confidence that the decisions they've made over the last 10 years, to get them from as low as they were to being on top, makes them feel they know what they are doing.

Look, I'm not trying to change people's minds here.  I couldn't care less whether you like or not.  I'm very happy that people didn't horde this, as I think it will do well post EOL.  I do get tired of the constant poo poo'ing on this set, instead of just letting it go.  If you don't like it, just move on.  Let those of us that like it, enjoy it, and want to discuss it merits do that.  Just like with any other set.

How do you know their point of view? You're not an executive so you're also just guessing yourself and everything you say is opinion.  I would say your opinion is wrong because LEGO is doing nothing about out of control counterfeiting of their licenses online, and they're spending more time producing sets from every idea that seems good for the short term(Elves, Angry Birds, Ghost Busters) rather than developing their proprietary themes designed decades ago which were what built this company into what it has became the last few years.  They pumped out very boring Minecraft sets as fast as possible when they got that license last year, they're pumping out more Super Hero sets and Star Wars sets than you can shake your first at.  These changes would lead me to believe that many of the current executives and or partial owners of LEGO company are not the same people who helped bring it back from death and that many of those people left a few years ago.  It's the reason we're not seeing the iconic themes that should have been expected by now with the increase in technology and production capability.  We're seeing mostly throwaway designs and sets that won't be remembered in another 2 years. Also,  In the years 2000-2010 we saw very low quality toys from most manufacturers and that's what allowed LEGO to make their climb out of obscurity because there was little competition after the 90's.

As far as not liking the Sea Cow, it doesn't mean I still won't sell it.  I own it, and I'm getting rid of this thing as fast as possible while the getting is good. It will show-up in the next movie and you better believe they'll be bringing it back.  I wonder if you and others are pumpers and want to keep your own investments going up.

Edited by JRandall
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, JRandall said:

Well the movie was not aimed at you, it was aimed at kids not adults. If you can't differentiate between a movie for kids and a movie for adults I don't know what to tell you.

And you can probably count the number on your hand.  If you stopped 100 people on the street and asked them if they saw the Star Wars movie and then if they saw the LEGO Movie the box office numbers would speak for themselves.  The number of people who like Star Wars compared to those that may have seen the TLM is not even comparable.  It would probably be a difference of tens or hundreds of thousands of movie goers.

How do you know their point of view? You're not an executive so you're also just guessing yourself and everything you say is opinion.  I would say your opinion is wrong because LEGO is doing nothing about out of control counterfeiting of their licenses online, and they're spending more time producing sets from every idea that seems good for the short term(Elves, Angry Birds, Ghost Busters) rather than developing their proprietary themes designed decades ago which were what built this company into what it has became the last few years.  They pumped out very boring Minecraft sets as fast as possible when they got that license last year, they're pumping out more Super Hero sets and Star Wars sets than you can shake your first at.  These changes would lead me to believe that many of the current executives and or partial owners of LEGO company are not the same people who helped bring it back from death and that many of those people left a few years ago.  It's the reason we're not seeing the iconic themes that should have been expected by now with the increase in technology and production capability.  We're seeing mostly throwaway designs and sets that won't be remembered in another 2 years. Also,  In the years 2000-2010 we saw very low quality toys from most manufacturers and that's what allowed LEGO to make their climb out of obscurity because there was little competition after the 90's.

As far as not liking the Sea Cow, it doesn't mean I still won't sell it.  I own it, and I'm getting rid of this thing as fast as possible while the getting is good. It will show-up in the next movie and you better believe they'll be bringing it back.  I wonder if you and others are pumpers and want to keep your own investments going up.

We do want to keep our investments up, what that means? That we should listen to you? I'm not selling right now, will give it more time.....that's just me though.....

no quality toys in first ten years of this millennium, you really think so?........

3 hours ago, JRandall said:

How do you know their point of view? You're not an executive so you're also just guessing yourself and everything you say is opinion.  I would say your opinion is wrong because LEGO is doing nothing about out of control counterfeiting of their licenses online, and they're spending more time producing sets from every idea that seems good for the short term(Elves, Angry Birds, Ghost Busters) rather than developing their proprietary themes designed decades ago which were what built this company into what it has became the last few years.  They pumped out very boring Minecraft sets as fast as possible when they got that license last year, they're pumping out more Super Hero sets and Star Wars sets than you can shake your first at.  These changes would lead me to believe that many of the current executives and or partial owners of LEGO company are not the same people who helped bring it back from death and that many of those people left a few years ago.  It's the reason we're not seeing the iconic themes that should have been expected by now with the increase in technology and production capability.  We're seeing mostly throwaway designs and sets that won't be remembered in another 2 years.

Not seeing iconic themes ? You mean like the pirate Theme ? If it was such gooooood seller, why would they retire this theme so soon ?

Why would they feel the need to add lasers and robots to the Castle sets ? Haven't you noticed the Castle and Kingdoms sets on shelves in B&M stores ?

The reason why they produce this stuff or this one is because it sells well. And they also give a try here and there until it's a success.

Ultra agents ? Well, let's stop it, kids are no more on this theme. This Ideas Ecto-1 is selling very well ? Ok, let's add a $350 headquarters.

Money, money, money (insert ABBA meme here).

• Like 1

My two cents....  There is a market for Steampunk and Lego is well aware of it.  The Sea Cow appeals to that crowd for that reason.  Lego understands this but doesn't think its big enough to really sustain a major theme.  You see elements of it in Monster Fighters (especially Ghost Train), you see it in numerous Movie sets, but never on its own.  Sea Cow was shunned by resellers because they didn't get it (steampunk)  I think that the Steampunk crowd will easy put down $600 + for Sea Cow in the very near future. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stephen_rockefeller said:

How many times are we going to hear your opinion on the sea cow? If you don't like it move along.....it's  pretty simple.

How many times are we going to hear your opinion on counterfeiting (it's stupid to worry about it and cool to mock those who do) in the counterfeiting thread?  Ya gotta love a moderator troll.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

I'm 43, and felt like that movie was aimed more at me than at my kids.  Sure my kids enjoy it on a superficial level.  But there's actually a lot of depth in that movie.  There's quite a few characters the movie that I could either identify with.  Much like Rocky & Bullwinkle and Bugs Bunny, there are many different levels this movie can be enjoyed on.

I know!! I loved it. Yes, my kids had a blast, but on cloud cookoo land when Batman's head spins 360 and goes "fine, fine, fine..." from Wildstyles pleading .... I almost fell of the couch ... that is totally aimed at adults.... there are so many adult nuggets in there ... Vetruvious and his "why are my pants wet" .... or the cat poster ... or Unikitty's buried feelings. .... take your pick!!! I am going go watch the LEGO movie now ... :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

Sorry, but that isn't your call.  This thread is not only for discussing the "merits" of the set.  Are all lego sets perfect, or is there a special thread somewhere for critical comments?  You post nothing but praise for Sea Cow, and no one's asking you to stop.  So ban my account if you want.  In the meantime, when I have an opinion, you're going to hear it.

• Like 1

I think posts in this thread are getting out of hand already, many fellow brickpicker here do have their own opinions about this set. Whether they like it or hate it, it is their own business, there is no need to call out others post and start pointing out that their opnions are flawed or not. In the end, the sale figures speak fir themselves in the future and even if it doesn't sell well, some would be happy to have it on display in the house or learn a lesson or two. We don't need the moderators to come barging in here, isn't it?

• Like 1

I built one and love it. Not sure why people are slamming this set. I did not even watch the movie. I own a bunch of lego boats, city cargo boat, arctic icebreaker, coast guard, imperial flagship, and triple E. The build is challenging and it displays nicely. I have a number stocked up. Never expected it to go ip so much.

I think the ones bashing this set missed the boat. If you missed it, there is no need to slam it. Just go load up some ewok villages before that one goes oos. You can't win them all. 

11 minutes ago, Ted said:

I think posts in this thread are getting out of hand already, many fellow brickpicker here do have their own opinions about this set. Whether they like it or hate it, it is their own business, there is no need to call out others post and start pointing out that their opnions are flawed or not. In the end, the sale figures speak fir themselves in the future and even if it doesn't sell well, some would be happy to have it on display in the house or learn a lesson or two. We don't need the moderators to come barging in here, isn't it?

Duly noted. Moving along......

• Like 1

12 hours ago, marcandre said:

Yea that really comes off like a troll post. I think the bashing now is just sour grapes. Turns out it was easy money and plenty missed out. 

I have loved this set ever since I built it. It looks great along side QAR and Imperial Flagship. It was a much more interesting and fun build than the other ships too. 

It is 'easy' money exactly because plenty missed out.