70810 - MetalBeard's Sea Cow

Brickbuilder.g

9 minutes ago, TargetZero said:

Lol, I don't see why people see this has ugly. I mean, I had many pirate ships, and this one is very impressive side by side. details on it etc. its an awsome set 

oh and yes my boy was litteraly WOW, and didn't have this expression with the queen marie and others

No one thinks its ugly anymore!!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, stephen_rockefeller said:

No one thinks its ugly anymore!!

are they AFOL? It's unique in his style yes, but that all about it. People underestimated the collectors, I have the hearth of a collector, and many people collect exclusif, it's all about it. I mean, cool, star wars etc figurines etc, but that's a mix of star wars and lego fan, but mostly star wars, because they have no other lego, only starwars, Yes ok cool, AFOL, but lego's have many more  to offer, and underestimate the MANY collectors for pîrate ships... pirate ships always do well.

6 minutes ago, Bold-Arrow said:

Another example why buying what u like is a bad advice that gets repeatidley mentioned on the forums .

note : what u like doesn't equate what u think has potential . 

Well, IMO, you have to put yourself in all the possibiltes of the buyer, who will buy this, and history is important too, because it becomes part of an entire collection etc. but hey there is a little gambling too

17 minutes ago, TargetZero said:

Lol, I don't see why people see this has ugly. I mean, I had many pirate ships, and this one is very impressive side by side. details on it etc. its an awsome set 

oh and yes my boy was litteraly WOW, and didn't have this expression with the queen marie and others

I think there is definitely a love-hate division on this one. It just doesn't speak to a lot of people. To me, it's awesome sauce. It's exactly what I would have built when I fell in love with Lego pirate ships the first time around in 1989. 

10 minutes ago, Bold-Arrow said:

Another example why buying what u like is a bad advice that gets repeatidley mentioned on the forums .

note : what u like doesn't equate what u think has potential . 

Nothing wrong with getting a few, just in case.  If you have the points, rewards, or initiative, spread the love.

9 minutes ago, allen9917 said:

Seacow tells us avoiding the hoard might be single biggest factor for appreciation. Set quality, theme popularity, set uniqueness etc. they all help, but when there are no competitors undercutting your price is shooting straight up.  

Probably some truth to this. I've had some really nice sales on bricklink because I was one of only a handful of U.S. Based sellers on a particular set. It's always nice when an off the radar set turns into a winner.

7 hours ago, emazers said:

Like I keep saying why do so many keep waiting and waiting to get a great set until the last minute, now there are many guys on this site that are regretting not getting another great money maker.   Ed

I saw you post about this a long time ago and took your advice. I kept on punching in orders a few times a month, and near the end, I went on a mass panic to buy more. Thanks. Now I need to go dig around for where else you popped up. I also took your advice on the Town Hall and some other sets awhile back. I'm starting to buy the Ewok Village with mass panic. I'm a bit surprised the Sea Cow gone up more than expected.

21 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

Nothing wrong with getting a few, just in case.  If you have the points, rewards, or initiative, spread the love.

Exactly. Sea Cow, Ewok Village, Fairground Mixer, Ferris Wheel, Sydney Opera House, Ninjago Temple, (EEE) before it retired. Every time a set gets a mixed reaction from the horde, I get a little more interested in picking one up. 

As a relatively small player, I can't compete with the guy who has a massive stockroom full of tumblers, modulars, and red 5s. Plus, if a set doesn't take off too quickly like the AA or not at all like the Kingdoms Joust, I'm not totally overexposed. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TargetZero said:

are they AFOL? It's unique in his style yes, but that all about it. People underestimated the collectors, I have the hearth of a collector, and many people collect exclusif, it's all about it. I mean, cool, star wars etc figurines etc, but that's a mix of star wars and lego fan, but mostly star wars, because they have no other lego, only starwars, Yes ok cool, AFOL, but lego's have many more  to offer, and underestimate the MANY collectors for pîrate ships... pirate ships always do well.

Don't worry soon enough  "investors" will suck the life out of even pirate ships!

2 hours ago, Ed Mack said:

As stated many times on these forums, the Sea Cow was either a hit or sh*t. It seems to be a hit and its rapid growth shows the market is still strong. While other investments are tanking, this is a great example of why LEGO investing is still worthwhile if you pick the right sets.

- Posted 7 hours ago: "I would caution getting too optimistic on this set right now. There are a lot if investors and resellers buying these sets up now because they missed it earlier."
- Posted 2 hours ago: "It seems to be a hit and its rapid growth shows the market is still strong."
-> Now I'm getting confused about your actual opinion...

47 minutes ago, ChristopherJB said:

I saw you post about this a long time ago and took your advice. I kept on punching in orders a few times a month, and near the end, I went on a mass panic to buy more. Thanks. Now I need to go dig around for where else you popped up. I also took your advice on the Town Hall and some other sets awhile back. I'm starting to buy the Ewok Village with mass panic. I'm a bit surprised the Sea Cow gone up more than expected.

Get a room!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, MathBuilder said:

Question to self: Why wasn't I following this thread before? 

Because like many others, you probably did not expect it to be a winner anyway. I used to ask myself: why didn't I put every penny of saving in Tesla stock when it was only $20 a share?