70810 - MetalBeard's Sea Cow

Brickbuilder.g

14 minutes ago, ChristopherJB said:

That is a good point. Where are all the resellers? They just suddenly dried up? The lowest I can see now is over 360USD plus shipping. Someone is selling it for 350USD minus Queasy Kitty. So the lowest one can get it at right now is probably 399USD shipped, that's if you search hard enough. 

Where are all the resellers?  Asleep at the wheel.  Which is fine with me, and the few of us that hoarded this set.  

• Like 4

People have very outspoken opinions on non mainstream sets like this one.  Lack of supply will increase prices.  I expect this will benefit sea cow.  This is also the reason many of the older sets are so high, less supply equals higher prices. I'm glad I have what I have.

13 minutes ago, waddamon said:

People have very outspoken opinions on non mainstream sets like this one.  Lack of supply will increase prices.  I expect this will benefit sea cow.  This is also the reason many of the older sets are so high, less supply equals higher prices. I'm glad I have what I have.

That's well said. UCS Falcon and Grand Carousel were actually quite poor sellers while in production. The secret is not in retail popularity...

2 hours ago, inversion said:

That's well said. UCS Falcon and Grand Carousel were actually quite poor sellers while in production. The secret is not in retail popularity...

Shhhh, let everyone think they need to watch how many of every set sells each day and then buy 40-50 of those popular choices. 

• Like 1

On January 12, 2016 at 3:21 PM, sauromosis said:

Sea Cow on amazon has 41 sellers (half of Tumbler) and FBA is 380.

One sold for over $400 shipped on eBay today with only 26 sellers for New BIN.

I guess the old "but for every 3 SC I can get 5 PS" herd mentality doesn't always work. 

So what is up with the two threads for the same set?  Can someone please explain what the blog does like are posts in there sent to news sites or twitter. I just find it confusing and more time consuming to have to read both.  

• Like 4

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 7:46 PM, Pseudoty said:

I guess the old "but for every 3 SC I can get 5 PS" herd mentality doesn't always work. 

So what is up with the two threads for the same set?  Can someone please explain what the blog does like are posts in there sent to news sites or twitter. I just find it confusing and more time consuming to have to read both.  

Honestly, the PS over SC mentality would have worked just fine if PS had retired on schedule.  I am legitimately surprised by SC's post-retirement bump though.  We'll see if it's sustainable, or more along the lines of AA's pump 'n dump.  I had a hypothesis all worked out that AFOL's are the money behind the secondary market and they don't like silly sets, which SC is currently messing with.

I think if I did own any, I'd sell at $450 - $500 + shipping, and not wait for the next lego movie in a couple years.  SC's box is a monster that takes up lots of space (one reason I went for PS, ToO, and R5 instead), and I wouldn't want to hold until the new movie only to get hit with a refresh of some sort.

On 1/14/2016 at 1:46 AM, Pseudoty said:

Blog posts get indexed by Google and other search engines whereas forum posts do not.... Now there is however a bug in the forum software that doesn't understand when you've viewed posts on or the other and presents both as new content.

I had confidence in this set but the initial growth surprises me.  Reminds me of the Town Hall. Even more surprising is that US investors had plenty of warnings for EOL and could accumulate them about a month ago from Amazon and Target.

I'm anxious to see where this plateaus.  My guess is it will hit $500 and investors will begin to cash out, limiting its growth for a while.  Long-term I like its potential.  It might not be an Imperial Flagship, but its pretty close.

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

I'm so glad I went in big on these as I think these will be of great appeal to Steampunk fans. Also it's a superb build in its own right and you get a lot of plastic for the RRP. It's the only "Movie" set I bothered with.

I had confidence in this set but the initial growth surprises me.  Reminds me of the Town Hall. Even more surprising is that US investors had plenty of warnings for EOL and could accumulate them about a month ago from Amazon and Target.

I'm anxious to see where this plateaus.  My guess is it will hit $500 and investors will begin to cash out, limiting its growth for a while.  Long-term I like its potential.  It might not be an Imperial Flagship, but its pretty close.

This growth is definitely driven by resellers and not end-buyers. Way too townhall like for my taste. I put my money into Brick Bounties instead. I think you'll get a 100% return out of them far quicker as there are more fans of conventional ships than of steampunky ships with plastic sails.