70810 - MetalBeard's Sea Cow

Brickbuilder.g

Did you hear the one about the AFOL who went hiking? Half way up the hill, he remembered he had not locked his car so he went running downhill as fast as he could. Too late, though. When he reached the car someone had already opened it and dumped 5 seacows on the back seat.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, valenciaeric said:

Did you hear the one about the AFOL who went hiking? Half way up the hill, he remembered he had not locked his car so he went running downhill as fast as he could. Too late, though. When he reached the car someone had already opened it and dumped 5 seacows on the back seat.

In two years time... Either you will become a hero or a zero with this post. 

• Like 1

A 'serious' steampunk pirate ship would have been a hit with AFOL's.  A jokey, too tall, too short (lengthwise) steampunk pirate ship just looks wacky on display next to the serious pirate ships like Black Pearl, etc.  Also the release of Doubledecker Couch at $14.99 crushed the value of the minifigs included with Sea Cow, which reduces the value of the set for kids.  I feel vindicated in my decision to skip Sea Cow.  I only wish I had skipped R5 and ToO as well...

3 hours ago, siddji said:

Plenty to be had at $275 on Ebay still. This set will take some time to rise, but would still be an iconic collectors set.

I wouldn't call one at $275 as "plenty."  There's a total of 4 of them under $300.

2 hours ago, GhostDad said:

A 'serious' steampunk pirate ship would have been a hit with AFOL's.  A jokey, too tall, too short (lengthwise) steampunk pirate ship just looks wacky on display next to the serious pirate ships like Black Pearl, etc.  Also the release of Doubledecker Couch at $14.99 crushed the value of the minifigs included with Sea Cow, which reduces the value of the set for kids.  I feel vindicated in my decision to skip Sea Cow.  I only wish I had skipped R5 and ToO as well...

Over on Reddit, one of the designers of the Nexo Knights line talked about this.  He said that he's tried to influence higher ups to go full steampunk, but they don't bite.  So, he sneaks in what he can, where he can, like on some of the Nexo Knights and Ninjago sets.

3 hours ago, valenciaeric said:

Wish that would happen to me.

Hey, I'll let you guys all hate on this.  Me and my stock will be very happy in due time.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Ciglione said:

In two years time... Either you will become a hero or a zero with this post. 

This set is going to do just fine. It was the perfect set to buy in the current reselling environment for anyone looking to hold something a few years. Provided it isn't remade for TLM2, I expect this set to perform like the currently valuable sets did - a slow and steady increase.  

• Like 5

3 hours ago, GhostDad said:

It looks fine to me from here. My QAR is on loan to @Alpinemaps he just doesn't know he has to return it yet ;)

image.jpg

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Pseudoty said:
10 hours ago, GhostDad said:

It looks fine to me from here. My QAR is on loan to @Alpinemaps he just doesn't know he has to return it yet

Or that's a future picture of my shelf, once I put all of them together.

• Like 2

Ask 100 random adults in the street who are not on drugs which one in the photo is the most kick ass ship and see what they say.

Spoiler

It´s not the Playmobil on the left or the MOC concept by an 8 year old in the middle.

SC  is not bad but it has serious issues with its demographic that will make it hard to find a good home. I think it´s the 2014 Unimog, basically.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, valenciaeric said:

Ask 100 random adults in the street who are not on drugs which one in the photo is the most kick ass ship and see what they say.

Hide contents

It´s not the Playmobil on the left or the MOC concept by an 8 year old in the middle.

SC  is not bad but it has serious issues with its demographic that will make it hard to find a good home. I think it´s the 2014 Unimog, basically.

I guessed right!  Looks like I'm not on drugs, which is reassuring.  Honestly though, the left and right ships look identical save for the color schemes.

It might be possible to make Sea Cow look good just by not adding some of the pieces.  With the back lower and less crap in the middle, it would be ok.  Two put together for a longer hull could be pretty sweet, but that's a steep investment and there aren't any instructions showing you how to do it.  The lone ranger train could also be made awesome with a little customization and the addition of power functions, but that didn't save it...

• Like 1

Agreed on the BB that's what I said in that thread besides the liscensce and the minifigs not much difference between it and the build of the BP. The captains quarters are larger and more ornate in the BP and ofcourse the all black look is tuff. I was thinking of adding one of these 10210s to the shelf to make Eric's poll easier to answer for the one's on drugs, but I think I like Ghostdad's MOC idea better. When I built the sc I felt it needed an extra hull piece or two. 

image.jpg

1 hour ago, Pseudoty said:

Agreed on the BB that's what I said in that thread besides the liscensce and the minifigs not much difference between it and the build of the BP. The captains quarters are larger and more ornate in the BP and ofcourse the all black look is tuff. I was thinking of adding one of these 10210s to the shelf to make Eric's poll easier to answer for the one's on drugs, but I think I like Ghostdad's MOC idea better. When I built the sc I felt it needed an extra hull piece or two. 

minifigs on the BP do not count in the comparison people I thought some people on here said that people just buy the figs from China and no one ever knows the difference

Spoiler

Hahahaha. I've got admit this gave me a good laugh.

I don't agree with it, but that was pretty good.

19 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

Imperial Flagship. One of my white whales.

After building the QAR I love LEGO boats now. I'd love to have one of those.

4 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

Hahahaha. I've got admit this gave me a good laugh.

I don't agree with it, but that was pretty good.

It´s all in good humour. Everyone knows AFOL´s who buy on the secondary market don´t care about design. They want what they can´t get.

When the Playmobil clone doubtless becomes the hidden gem of 2015 and everyone is celebrating 5x RRP,  I´ll be in the garage with a pipe from the car exhaust in my big mouth.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, valenciaeric said:

It´s all in good humour. Everyone knows AFOL´s who buy on the secondary market don´t care about design. They want what they can´t get.

When the Playmobil clone doubtless becomes the hidden gem of 2015 and everyone is celebrating 5x RRP,  I´ll be in the garage with a pipe from the car exhaust in my big mouth.

Yeah, I don't like passing on a pirate ship.  I just really hate the loud colors and ridiculous striped sales on the BB.  No self-respecting pirate would set sail on such a garish ship.  If I had to pick a boat to invest in now, it would be the new Destiny's Bounty.  It looks great and I doubled my money on the last one.  Probably has another year 'till retirement though.

It really is too bad that Lego didn't spring for a 'flagship' pirate ship as part of the 2015 theme, something with 1000+ pieces and a price to match would have been fine.  Sometimes I wonder what they're thinking.  Clearly the theme as it was foundered a bit, or it would have lasted more than half a year.

One thing I'll say for the SC is it comes with all its cannons.  Lego annoys a lot of customers by shipping pirate ships with 4-6 gun mounts but only half as many guns, like they couldn't be bothered to include the extras at the whopping expense of $.10 each, or whatever they pay their Chinese sweatshops.  I don't get it.  It's like the set designers think they're playing a little joke.

28 minutes ago, kenchu2000 said:

To ask 100 random adults on the street which pirate ship they like is not a fair question.

A more fair question should be to ask 100 random Lego collectors on the street which pirate ship they are willing to buy with today's market value.

Ask 100 pirates or 100 parrots - the Cow ain´t winnin no popularity contest.

• Like 1