70810 - MetalBeard's Sea Cow

Brickbuilder.g

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Too expensive for most of the families that saw the movie and had a child that wanted one, which would be the major demand base.  The adults today are looking at other sets to add to their collection before this one at @250.  Foreign lego collectors are probably looking at Modular/Star Wars/Super Heroes before jumping on a Lego Movie theme.  Town hall nearing $600, still wish I had 5-10 lol..

Edited by JRandall

I think this sets performance will surprise quite a few here. It has all the makings of a sleeper set. It'll help me recover from my 50 Benny's...

I agree with you.  I think this has sleeper over it.  Not vastly horded, and if there is one pirate ship to get - I'd buy one of these over 2 brick bounties…….anyday.  It's just a classic looking ship.  The RRP price does hold it back a bit, but freaking people pay 600 for many pirate ship out there, so this one could have that potential eventually.  It's definitely going to be one of those sets, people thought about buying, but pushed it off, but once its gone, they'll want it, and there won't be many boxes out there because people didn't horde it.  I just have a hunch on this one...

• Like 2

I can see how people may not have much faith in this set but something to consider is that it didn't make it to 2 years. That's great news in Lego investing. I don't think one would need to be a fan of The Lego Movie to want this. It's a ship, large ships historically do well. I believe that most people would assume they "thought they had more time" to get one of these. I believe it's down to Amazon & Target now in the U.S. For people asking "what Lego set to buy" I would recommend this set. I don't believe it's heavily hoarded but one would need to be patient...my 2¢

Edited by dcdfan
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, dcdfan said:

I can see how people may not have much faith in this set but something to consider is that it didn't make it to 2 years. That's great news in Lego investing. I don't think one would need to be a fan of The Lego Movie to want this. It's a ship, large ships historically do well. I believe that most people would assume they "thought they had more time" to get one of these. I believe it's down to Amazon & Target now in the U.S. For people asking "what Lego set to buy" I would recommend this set. I don't believe it's heavily hoarded but one would need to be patient...my 2¢

Its a ship people! Even bigger than 10210. The trepidation is that the Sea Cow is not an 'orthodox' looking subject. But that just makes it even more unique.

Edited by lobo1969
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, CNH1974 said:

I once spent 2 hours pressing F5 on amazon so I could get the CD I wanted at the price I wanted. It changed literally on every press. 

Back on topic I bought my first and probably only Metal Beards Ship. Hopefully it will be a sleeper. 

Hopefully not the eternal sleep.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Haay said:

Interestingly, in Europe it's still fully available with an order limit of 5. 

If TLG is really set on retiring this set this year, they may even opt to put this set up for discount here in Europe at the Black Friday sale! 

I'll keep an eye on it... ;-)

Don't get to exited i believe that last year there was no discount for the dutch at any product because Lego has no physical store in The Netherlands so they didn't give it online either.

Meanwhile our neighbers Belgium en German had nice discounts on some sets.

45 minutes ago, rich79 said:

Don't get to exited i believe that last year there was no discount for the dutch at any product because Lego has no physical store in The Netherlands so they didn't give it online either.

Meanwhile our neighbers Belgium en German had nice discounts on some sets.

Yeah, someone else also said more or less the same, about the Dutch always getting screwed by TLG.

Are they holding a grudge against The Netherlands / Dutch people about something? :tommy: