70810 - MetalBeard's Sea Cow

Brickbuilder.g

When people see a Tumbler they are "wow, Tumbler" not "wow, Heath Ledger". The fig is a valuable addition, but not the strongest point of the set.

This is what I actually meant when I disagreed with quacs post. I think a very small percentage of people will buy this set for the minifig exclusively but Heath definitely brings this set to the next level with the history.

I sad wow to the minifigs and not wow to the tumber. After building it the wows were the same. Everyone is different.

Are you saying you built it and was "meh" about it or just speaking in general terms?

Edit: after rereading your post, I'm thinking you meant "said" not "sad"?

Edited by speedsausage

I said wow to the minifigs and not wow to the tumber. After building it the wows were the same. Everyone is different.

It was just a generalisation based on personal opinion of course. There are obviously people who are going for the figs which is understandable. However I believe that the majority is going for the vehicle. Most people don't even realise that the figs are supposed to be special, they are just a Batman and a Joker to complement the set.

We are avid fans who know the sets to little details, even before release. Then Average Joe walks into the LEGO Store: "LOL Tumbler cool". That's it.

Edited by inversion
  • Like 2

I would have to disagree with the tumbler here, I don't think you will find a Heath Ledger minifig anywhere else.

As for the sea cow, it's all about the ship, ship, SHIP!

I guess my point isn't that the minifigure aren't great (they are), it's that most people aren't buying these sets for the minifigures (per GhostDad's initial question - will demand to Sea Cow be limited because DDC has similar minfigures?).  Secondary market buyers will buy the Tumbler because it is an awesome, challenging build with a kick-arse final model.  The minifigures are a nice bonus, not the main event.

I wholeheartedly agree both of these minifigures are great, just like Sea Cow's minifigures, especially Vitruvius, QueasyKitty and the mini-MetalBeard.

• Like 1

I tried to understand this set but cannot... Even if I was a fan of steampunk, this set would not satisfy me. It doesnt look serious (cow in the front, omg), sails are strange, its far from steampunk classic like this:

robur.JPG

Also the licence and figs are worthless, since it is from a children movie without a value for AFOLs in future.

To sum up, I would use EUR 250 better than for this set. Far better is to buy 2 more modulars for example...

• Like 2

I tried to understand this set but cannot... Even if I was a fan of steampunk, this set would not satisfy me. It doesnt look serious (cow in the front, omg), sails are strange, its far from steampunk classic like this:

http://aerostories.free.fr/dossiers/ADAV/robur.JPG

Also the licence and figs are worthless, since it is from a children movie without a value for AFOLs in future.

To sum up, I would use EUR 250 better than for this set. Far better is to buy 2 more modulars for example...

To say the license "IS" worthless is a pretty bold statement. Wasn't the whole dc/marvel comics geared towards kids, and Lego itself. Look them now.

Only time will tell.

agreed.  maybe the poster didn't mean the "worthless" statement to come off as it did. 

this is another one of those sets i suspect will have a cult following especially since it's designed like a UCS set, from a very popular movie, had a nice amount of screen time, metal beard seems well-received and maybe the ship will return in the next movie in one form or another.

To say the license "IS" worthless is a pretty bold statement. Wasn't the whole dc/marvel comics geared towards kids, and Lego itself. Look them now.
Only time will tell.

I tried to understand this set but cannot... Even if I was a fan of steampunk, this set would not satisfy me. It doesnt look serious (cow in the front, omg), sails are strange

I thought exactly the same way since its launch, until... last month.

Suddenly (and don't ask me why, I can't figure), I felt in love and thought that the designer is a genius.

It's like when you look at a painting, you don't like it, you think it's weird/ugly/stupid and someday BAM! when you look at it for the billion time (because your girlfriend says to do so) it's a real thunderstruck :acdc: and then you realize it's awesome.

Edited by biniou
  • Like 1

Only time will tell.

marvel comics, SW, etc has a long history, Lego Movie not, it is a made-up, new licence, which has just a temporary efekt - something like Monsters inc, after several years nobody will be interested in Movie characters. 

• Like 1

marvel comics, SW, etc has a long history, Lego Movie not, it is a made-up, new licence, which has just a temporary efekt - something like Monsters inc, after several years nobody will be interested in Movie characters.

No one will be interested because when they launch the updated steam punk pirate ship in a few years no one will care about this.

(It isn't just about TLM)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Brickpicker mobile app

• Like 1

I've seen the film twice and I don't even remember anything about this ship, but didn't it sink? I could be mistaking that with the sub. Anyways, I think only hardcore collector's will be into this set. I don't see the Sea Cow doing very well after EOL.

I've seen the film twice and I don't even remember anything about this ship, but didn't it sink?

No it didn't.

They traveled in time and used the ship to reach the base on the moon to kill Jar Jar Bink's mother so he would not exist. Lots of emotion.

• Like 4

I understand some of the characters in the film are new as they were designed specifically for it but essentially the whole thing is based around a product even older than Star Wars by a couple decades while at the same time younger than Marvel by a similar length of time. The first Monsters Inc. movie was shown in theaters fourteen years ago yet people still remember little Mike and loveable Sulley apparently enough to warrant a sequel just four years ago. Toy Story seems to be another memorable series that will not go away with short made for TV specials aired in the past couple years to a rumored fourth film coming out in the next couple years.

The notion of saying nobody will be interested in the characters or film after several years sounds logical in some cases yet if there is anything showing strong after all these years of cinema and television, people rarely forget the unforgettable titles that become true classics. LEGO bricks may be a kid's toy but the company and its product have proven to be more than that. I wonder what all new characters will premiere alongside old ones in The LEGO Movie 2.

• Like 2

Since you mention it... Toy Story is exactly what I'm afraid of here.  I loved The LEGO Movie.  I immediately bought it on DVD.  The first five minutes especially (starting from when Emmett wakes up) are awesome.  But I'm not sure it's going to be an enduring franchise.  And the Sea Cow is, while very cool, also a little goofy, not a strictly serious ship like the Imperial Flagship.  On the other hand, Destiny's Bounty, which had the same issues, did quite well.  So I'm honestly torn on this one.

• Like 1

Since you mention it... Toy Story is exactly what I'm afraid of here.  I loved The LEGO Movie.  I immediately bought it on DVD.  The first five minutes especially (starting from when Emmett wakes up) are awesome.  But I'm not sure it's going to be an enduring franchise.  And the Sea Cow is, while very cool, also a little goofy, not a strictly serious ship like the Imperial Flagship.  On the other hand, Destiny's Bounty, which had the same issues, did quite well.  So I'm honestly torn on this one.

I completely agree with everything you wrote here.  The more I look at the ship, I like it.  But, from an investor's and collector's standpoint, it's questionable whether the ship and Lego Movie sets, in general, will be desirable in the long term despite a second movie.