70810 - MetalBeard's Sea Cow

Brickbuilder.g

Well, my little guy helped me with it and he is not as fast as Daddy, so in total I would guess it took us about 10-11 hours.

Right on! I bet he`s happy, fun quality time with dad :thumbsup: That`s a decent build time too, and it`s a wonderful ship. Looking forward to getting one. 

My only real issue with the set from a marketing perspective is its name: Sea Cow.  If it had a more steampunky name, I think this one would really top the charts.  Sea Cow is a pretty "meh" name though - this kick-butt ship deserves better.

Well, they could have gone with "The Sea Hag" but that was already taken.

1512706-pts85.jpg

Not intending to sidetrack the thread too much, but in light of the reference in this thread to 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea/Jules Verne, thought this model by Orion Pax was fitting:

Curiously enough, he posted this only a few hours ago. It looks incredible!

Here it is - what a great build!

Could not have said it better myself. I just need to get the 1980's Lego's out to show my kids "what Lego's used to look like". Lego's have come so far in the last 20 years from what they were.

As for the Sea Cow I thought it looked great! This is a set I would like to build and display, heck you only live once. The kids and I would enjoy building this one for sure.

You know...I have small boys (6 and 3) and they build stuff like I used to: just random things.  I often have to ask "So what is this?" Currently my son is making a hockey team - just random minifigures (like Gandalf and The Aerobics Instructor) wearing random helmets (Clone Troopers and Knights) using spears for sticks. Reminds me of why Lego is so cool.  I guess it makes sense though right?  As we get older we tend to lose some of our imagination, so having instructions show us what to build is just natural.  Sea Cow allows us to feel imaginitve again.

I dont really care about the Simpsons (since season1 ;)) or robot ninjas or Chima (although the 2014 sets do look cool) or even the movie I do love the SeaCow - I bought 2 so far (one for me and my kids and one to maybe sell) and blew all my points to get them. That it is part of the move does not matter at all to me. I think it is a fun larger build (unlike the Destroyer which about drove me insane with all the grey parts), is very Steampunk, unique and not fragile but appears to be very sturdy for all of us to actually play a lot with it. Some of the other boats just are not sturdy enough for serious play. :)

My only complaint with the set so far is that I wish it broke out the build into multiple manuals so each family member can work on a section at the same time.

This boat combined with the "Steampunk" MBA set is slowly getting my hopes up for one day having a true Steampunk theme. 

The second my kids and I all saw it online we all said wow at the same time. A first for any lego set. :) I think it will sell well in the future.

• Like 1

Last night i realized why i like this ship so much - it looks/feels almost like an stock steampunk airship. 

I plan now to eventually mod this a tiny bit to make it look more like an airship (which is how i think it pretty much looks anyway) and leverage my stock of exo force minis and I also have a bunch of the exo force hair pieces that I use with my daughters extra friends figures (and a few SW figures ;).

I think all will depend on how long this set will be present. 4 years, 6 years or only 2 years? With a sequel coming up this flagship might be present for too long to be a decent investment? It is not a star wars UCS or a modular. I hope I'm wrong because I want this badly, but from an investment POV???

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met behulp van Brickpicker

I guess you have to ask yourself what you consider to be a "decent investment".

Very true. Let me clarify a good "decent investment" from my point of view.

For me as a beginning small investor, I mostly have 2 copies of each set, therefore I' m aiming at doubling the price I've paid for one set. Not that easy, unless I've made the wrong choices or paid to much for a set so far ;-D

So the question for me is "will this sea cow double or not".

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met behulp van Brickpicker