70810 - MetalBeard's Sea Cow

Brickbuilder.g

This set totally lacks any amount of interest.

Been more than 24 hrs since been gone from LEGO Shop at Home and amazon and walmart still have em in stock

This is not BP effect

Maybe it is the BP effect: posts on BP deride a set, and skittish investors avoid it. If we had all been singing this set's praises, it would be gone-gone. It's an awesome set, unique, and I have no doubt it will do well long-term. It's just not for everyone and not a slam dunk. 

Come on europe! 

According to the Brickset Europe stock chart for the Sea Cow (http://brickset.com/sets/70810-1/MetalBeard-s-Sea-Cow), the set got a huge restock of 1,000 sets back in late July bringing the stock up to 1,200.  It's now at 950, so it may be awhile in Europe if the Sea Cow is actually gone in the US.

Never seen a large exclusive thread so quiet after it goes sold out on LEGO Shop at Home. Low interest in this beast. Hope it's a sleeper. This is one set I don't expect to see any 'check back in six months' or 'we are making more' nonsense. 

Still in stock at amz and wm. 

Some of this also has to be due to the abundant use of Sold Out tags on shop at home recently and then having those sets come back in full force later.  No one knows which sets are truly gone and which ones are just not currently available for sale.  I don't have any Sea Cows, and have been debating getting 1 or 2, but $250 just seems a lot to invest in the set when there are so many other investment possibilities and there is a chance it may come back for another 6 months in a few days.

• 2 weeks later...

I think its a mistake not to have at least a couple of these in your inventory, I also built one last Xmas and have four now but have stopped at that.   Its slowly starting to retire, I believe Lord Biz lair has gone so its only a matter of time till the rest go now that the hoopla is over from the movie.  The next one is due out I think in 2017 which gives us a couple of years for some appreciation in both gains and popularity of the movie as I believe a Lego Batman movie is due out next year I think with the same movie character, so there will be content reminders of the characters.  I don't see huge huge gains on this one like maybe modular but think it will do ok for itself...could be a sleeper :)

• 2 weeks later...

Here in Europe there are still 786 pcs in stock. Will be a slow sunset for this one I suppose.

Probably will be the opposite of ToO and sell out first in the US, then the horde will know it´s gone and scoop up the remaining units here. Still not convinced by it´s future resale value - based on other Lego Movie stuff it would appear to be pretty toxic unless there is a very heavy discoun (Lone Ranger 2.0 maybe)....

Maybe you are right. But then Sea Cow would be the Lone Ranger Train and would do ok if bought at a discount. I can see Lego putting it on sale if the stock does not shrink fast enough.

Maybe interesting to buy this set on double-VIP points October, if LEGO LEGO Shop at Home will be running that promotion as well here in Europe / The Netherlands...

• Like 1

Maybe interesting to buy this set on double-VIP points October, if LEGO LEGO Shop at Home will be running that promotion as well here in Europe / The Netherlands...

I will maybe think about buying one of these if Lego would do a decent discount on this one like they did with the 10227 B-Wing some time ago.

But I have other priorities when buying during double VIP. Just hope these sets are still available in 2 weeks.