70810 - MetalBeard's Sea Cow

Brickbuilder.g

6 hours ago, Haay said:

Yeah, someone else also said more or less the same, about the Dutch always getting screwed by TLG.

Are they holding a grudge against The Netherlands / Dutch people about something? :tommy:

Maybe because you've won the "battle of cheese"?

Anyhow, just visit your german neighbours if the buy in is good enough! ;-)

I'm still not too convinced with this set though (I mean it is still not sold out o.O after everything else is long gone...).

I own one copy and I guess if they're not offering this set for a crazy discount that's the way it'll stay.

• Like 1

When sets  take a long time to sell out after retiring across the pond it is never a great sign - SSD is perhaps the notable exception. 1 set to cover base and not look like an idiot if it becomes a huge EOL success would appear to be the most prudent choice. Going all in is a risky move but fortune favours the brave.

• Like 1

It's been sold out at US Shop at Home for a while now.  Amazon is "under review", most likely due to a large number of returns for damaged boxes.  Target has it in stock.

Great! While Amazon's trying to figure out which box to use Target will mark it up & it'll never see RRP there again...

• Like 1

Sorry if it's been discussed and I just missed it, has Amazon had issues with packaging this set? I bought one from Target recently and noticed the box it was shipped in was hardly and wider or longer than the set itself and had to rip the box open to remove the set without squeezing it out. 

7 minutes ago, brad4815 said:

Sorry if it's been discussed and I just missed it, has Amazon had issues with packaging this set? I bought one from Target recently and noticed the box it was shipped in was hardly and wider or longer than the set itself and had to rip the box open to remove the set without squeezing it out. 

This happened before with the Sea Cow and Amazon.  Last time I ordered one from them it was bubble wrapped two or three times so someone obviously got the memo.  We'll see how long it takes for them to get things right this time around.  In general, Amazon does a very poor job packing large sets.  From my experience Target is much better even though they usually ship in gigantic boxes with an abundance of air packs.  They make great fort building materials.

• 2 weeks later...

Now it´s done in Europe, it will be interesting to see if there is an investor led stampede to gobble up the last ones near or below RRP on Ebay.

It would be great to have one of those How many do you own? polls (starting at 0) to measure how much love this set has had in BP world.

Below RRP on EBay? I've never seen it. Not that it handy happened but I've watched his set for awhile and haven't seen it.

I've been slowly picking this up for awhile now. I've got a few. I think this is a winner. It's very unique. I expect a small number have been hoarded and I expect a small number of buyers have missed out. But I expect nice returned on this.

• Like 1

Really tried to find a good excuse to stock up on this set even with a decent discount. As a collector it has no appeal to me. Could not make the math work on this one. Maybe the day it is retired I will suddenly want one and fork over big bucks for it lol. Just don't see it sitting next to IF, BP or QAR on the shelf. Brick Bounty on the other hand....

On 6-11-2015 20:57:20, Locutus001 said:

Maybe because you've won the "battle of cheese"?

Anyhow, just visit your german neighbours if the buy in is good enough! ;-)

I'm still not too convinced with this set though (I mean it is still not sold out o.O after everything else is long gone...).

I own one copy and I guess if they're not offering this set for a crazy discount that's the way it'll stay.

Cologne is pretty nearby...time to propose the wife a day shopping there :girldance:

19 hours ago, valenciaeric said:

Now it´s done in Europe, it will be interesting to see if there is an investor led stampede to gobble up the last ones near or below RRP on Ebay.

It would be great to have one of those How many do you own? polls (starting at 0) to measure how much love this set has had in BP world.

Unfortunately, I missed out completely on this set. For some reason I was sure this would be available until Black Friday. :tommy:

Anyway, completed MSC listings on German ebay only show three sold items, all of them used! Currently there are only three listings altogether, all of them new, with the cheapest at 333.33€. I really wonder why there aren't more sets on offer. For comparison, 10197 Fire Brigade has about three dozen listings despite retiring two years earlier than SC. Any thoughts?

The only people listing it up until now must have had below RRP buy-ins. Same happened with Too so give it a month or two to see where things are at.

FB is now trading at double RRP and was uber hoarded so it´s normal people are looking to cash in 4 or 5 years after buying it.