70810 - MetalBeard's Sea Cow

Brickbuilder.g

Sea cow is now on clearance in Australia at bigw stores for $220 aud down from $390 aud.

This is probably the best price I've ever seen on this set in Australia. Managed to get 1 myself.

At that price point is a no brainer, but they're very rare across the country in bigw stores. Still someone might get lucky from this info.

I know what you mean.  I think Town Hall looks great, but for $550?  I'd buy two Sea Cows and build me a Super Sea Cow.  Which Is actually not a half bad idea.  You'd get the hull pieces to make it a reasonable length so it doesn't look so top heavy, a whopping 12 cannons...  I wonder if anyone has posted pics of something like that...

• Like 1

I know what you mean.  I think Town Hall looks great, but for $550?  I'd buy two Sea Cows and build me a Super Sea Cow.  Which Is actually not a half bad idea.  You'd get the hull pieces to make it a reasonable length so it doesn't look so top heavy, a whopping 12 cannons...  I wonder if anyone has posted pics of something like that...

That's an interesting project. I would definitely want to see some pictures of that.

I have always been lukewarm on this set.  I'm a pirate ship collector, but there are others, like the PotC ships, that I have higher on my list of items to buy. It's truly not a pirate ship in the purest sense; but it is a very unique ship.  I think if it went on sale I would definitely buy one.  I have yet to see any discount on it here though.  I guess to put it simply: I am the target audience for this kit, and I'm barely interested in it at retail price.  I would be even less interested at reseller prices.   Obviously we're not all soothsayers, but I'm not sure I would "load up" on this one for resell.  I'll grab more ToO instead. 

I have always been lukewarm on this set. I'm a pirate ship collector, but there are others, like the PotC ships, that I have higher on my list of items to buy. It's truly not a pirate ship in the purest sense; but it is a very unique ship. I think if it went on sale I would definitely buy one. I have yet to see any discount on it here though. I guess to put it simply: I am the target audience for this kit, and I'm barely interested in it at retail price. I would be even less interested at reseller prices. Obviously we're not all soothsayers, but I'm not sure I would "load up" on this one for resell. I'll grab more ToO instead.

Not so sure I agree that you are the target audience for this set and you mentioned why. It's not a pirate ship per se so lego movie lovers might be the target audience, who knows really. There is no shame in skipping a set if it's not for you, which is easier said than done for some people here.
  • Like 1

Good point.  Now that you mention it; it doesn't really fit any (sizeable) target audience well.  Too expensive for kids, too strange for sailing ship collectors.. for sure I'll go with my gut feel.  I hope those that do invest get are rewarded nicely. I'm too risk averse for this one though. 300$ CAD is nearly a SOH.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Like I said before the Sea Cow is a great set, I have gotten 5 this week and will have 5 or more by the end of the year, remember the Lego movies will be watched years from now and there will always be people wanting to have this set, so stop debating if this set is a winner. Pick a few up when you can, and if you wait you no whats going to happen when its to late, Why didn't I get some of these. Ed

​You bought these are MSRP? Or are there any places with discounts?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I ordered one last week from TRU TRUTH day.  They were in stock online, and a friendly employee ordered it up for me with all the discounts and rounded numbers in my favor. With my Raise cards, including tax, I paid $162.  Received it today in great shape, early 2014 code. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Not sure if news or not, but the Seacow is now "call to check" on CAN/US LEGO Shop at Home.

However given the events these past weeks.. i'm not sure i'd put too much weight on this status.

This may mean something... they did have a big sale in EU on the Lego Movie line couple months ago.

I ordered one last week from TRU TRUTH day.  They were in stock online, and a friendly employee ordered it up for me with all the discounts and rounded numbers in my favor. With my Raise cards, including tax, I paid $162.  Received it today in great shape, early 2014 code. 

Didn't know this was possible

Not sure if news or not, but the Seacow is now "call to check" on CAN/US LEGO Shop at Home.

However given the events these past weeks.. i'm not sure i'd put too much weight on this status.

Thanks for the info. Have the past few weeks had a set go from "Call to check availability" to "Available"?

Thanks for the info. Have the past few weeks had a set go from "Call to check availability" to "Available"?

i believe this happened to Ultra Agents Ocean HQ a month or two ago (i think it even went to Sold out before it switched back to Available)

This may mean something... they did have a big sale in EU on the Lego Movie line couple months ago.

1000 left in EU and a slow selling rate (although may pick up a bit now)..would not be surprised if it goes on sale later in the year (they have been clearanced in Australia already a few months ago)

i believe this happened to Ultra Agents Ocean HQ a month or two ago (i think it even went to Sold out before it switched back to Available)

1000 left in EU and a slow selling rate (although may pick up a bit now)..would not be surprised if it goes on sale later in the year (they have been clearanced in Australia already a few months ago)

Exclusive sets do not go on sale in North America. If they do go on sale, it will most likely be a pricing error. :(

Exclusive sets do not go on sale in North America. If they do go on sale, it will most likely be a pricing error. :(

Exclusives will go on sale at the LEGO store, if they are looking to clear massive inventory, or sometimes if the store has a some left after it is sold out online.  EEE is on sale at all LEGO stores right now.  

I would expect it to flip back an forth at least a few times as inventory corrects before its gone, assuming it is gone.  If it is scheduled for production It would go to OoS but orderable,  Call to check means they inventory is low and there are no orders in the system.  That being said even when it goes Sold Out it will usually flip back a few times, as they find or reroute inventory.  The big question on this one I think is does it go full on Sold Out, or just Temporarily Out of Stock.  My guess is this will be gone by the end of the year like ToO.  But they have been known to keep exclusives going after the main line is gone (ToO and HH as examples).

• Like 1