70810 - MetalBeard's Sea Cow

Brickbuilder.g

I just picked up the Double-Decker Coach set for my son. The Unikitty fig is a mess when my kids play with that set. It'so tail and head keeps falling off. Do people have with 70803 have the same problem? If so, anyone think of something other than using the Kragle for keeping Unikitty together?

All the unikitties we have suffer from the same problem. With only one stud attaching them there just isn't enough friction.

To fix lack of friction, try using something like cellophane wrap between the bricks. You should be able to cut a small enough piece that you won't see it. Paper is too thick and rips. The plastic wrap should stretch nicely.

All the unikitties we have suffer from the same problem. With only one stud attaching them there just isn't enough friction.

To fix lack of friction, try using something like cellophane wrap between the bricks. You should be able to cut a small enough piece that you won't see it. Paper is too thick and rips. The plastic wrap should stretch nicely.

Thanks Greg. Usually never ask simple questions like this but my kids (the daughter thinks it's Hello Kitty) are frustrated beyond belief. If the single piece cellophane trick doesn't work, I'll either wrap the entire darn thing in cellophane or scotch tape. Yeah, take that Kitty! Thank again,

This is one of the best exclusives in the roster right now. And a ship. A very exquisite one indeed. I am convinced that it will be a gold mine down the line.

I currently only have one 70810. Not feeling the urge to build it although it def looks cool in the store displays. I do have this strange feeling it will somewhat follow the ROI of similar ships. My only worry is that sets geared toward younger collectors and movie fans (yeah, I know this is an exclusive but it isn't UCS) usually depend on minifigs and not the vehicle itself. The minifig's in this set aren't that exclusive anymore for the most part.

I currently only have one 70810. Not feeling the urge to build it although it def looks cool in the store displays. I do have this strange feeling it will somewhat follow the ROI of similar ships. My only worry is that sets geared toward younger collectors and movie fans (yeah, I know this is an exclusive but it isn't UCS) usually depend on minifigs and not the vehicle itself. The minifig's in this set aren't that exclusive anymore for the most part.

Well, personally I haven'T even seen the Movie and can't care for the figs at all. It is an awesome build, regardless of the franchise. Most of the reviews have the same opinion.

However me and the reviewers are probably not the representative consumers. I just might like steampunk stuff too much relative to the average.

Edited by inversion

Thanks Greg. Usually never ask simple questions like this but my kids (the daughter thinks it's Hello Kitty) are frustrated beyond belief. If the single piece cellophane trick doesn't work, I'll either wrap the entire darn thing in cellophane or scotch tape. Yeah, take that Kitty! Thank again,

So I was painting this aft and it occurred to me. Green painters tape might also work. Haven't tried it but might work better than plastic wrap. It isn't as smooth and the gluey side shouldn't stick to the lego forever.

I used to have a similar with some minifig heads, they just would not grip. Resolved it by adding a small piece of Blu-Tac to the stud. Too little it does not work, too much and it's visible. It takes a little while to get it right :)

• 1 month later...

Is anyone else concerned that the Double-Decker Couch set includes all the minifigures in Sea Cow except Wyldstyle (but gives you Lord Business in her place), comes with a better version of UniKitty (more typical than Queasy Kitty), and of course the couch itself, all for $15?  It would seem to limit the Sea Cow to collectors who just want the giant ship.  The Sea Cow itself is really cool, but I wonder if people who aren't fans of the movie wouldn't rather buy a more traditional-looking pirate ship.

Is anyone else concerned that the Double-Decker Couch set includes all the minifigures in Sea Cow except Wyldstyle (but gives you Lord Business in her place), comes with a better version of UniKitty (more typical than Queasy Kitty), and of course the couch itself, all for $15?  It would seem to limit the Sea Cow to collectors who just want the giant ship.  The Sea Cow itself is really cool, but I wonder if people who aren't fans of the movie wouldn't rather buy a more traditional-looking pirate ship.

I don't think many would buy this set for the minifigures, just like you wouldn't buy Tower of Orthanc, the Tumbler, or the Helicarrier for the minifigures.  They are bonuses, not the main show.

They also are different variants, so TLM minifigure collectors will still need both sets' minifigures.

• Like 2

I'm not concerned. This ship is awesome. I don't think anyone is buying it for the minifigs. The imperial flagship has all generic minifigs and is doing fine. 

• Like 3

Is anyone else concerned that the Double-Decker Couch set includes all the minifigures in Sea Cow except Wyldstyle (but gives you Lord Business in her place), comes with a better version of UniKitty (more typical than Queasy Kitty), and of course the couch itself, all for $15? It would seem to limit the Sea Cow to collectors who just want the giant ship. The Sea Cow itself is really cool, but I wonder if people who aren't fans of the movie wouldn't rather buy a more traditional-looking pirate ship.

no

The biggest, baddest set for any theme is just that! And that's what people are after. The biggest, baddest most awesome LEGO Movie set.

I wouldn't be concerned about that. The Sea Cow is an awesome set by itself and most people who would want to buy the set, would be buying for the ship, not the minifigures.

• Like 1

I don't think many would buy this set for the minifigures, just like you wouldn't buy Tower of Orthanc, the Tumbler, or the Helicarrier for the minifigures. They are bonuses, not the main show.

They also are different variants, so TLM minifigure collectors will still need both sets' minifigures.

I would have to disagree with the tumbler here, I don't think you will find a Heath Ledger minifig anywhere else.

As for the sea cow, it's all about the ship, ship, SHIP!

I would have to disagree with the tumbler here, I don't think you will find a Heath Ledger minifig anywhere else.

As for the sea cow, it's all about the ship, ship, SHIP!

When people see a Tumbler they are "wow, Tumbler" not "wow, Heath Ledger". The fig is a valuable addition, but not the strongest point of the set.

• Like 1

Like I said before the Sea Cow is a great set, I have gotten 5 this week and will have 5 or more by the end of the year, remember the Lego movies will be watched years from now and there will always be people wanting to have this set, so stop debating if this set is a winner. Pick a few up when you can, and if you wait you no whats going to happen when its to late, Why didn't I get some of these. Ed

• Like 2

Like I said before the Sea Cow is a great set, I have gotten 5 this week and will have 5 or more by the end of the year, remember the Lego movies will be watched years from now and there will always be people wanting to have this set, so stop debating if this set is a winner. Pick a few up when you can, and if you wait you no whats going to happen when its to late, Why didn't I get some of these. Ed

Just out of curiosity, are there any exclusives that you don't think will be winners? I'm not saying I agree/disagree with your assessment, I'm just wondering. 

• Like 1