70810 - MetalBeard's Sea Cow

Brickbuilder.g

Very true. Let me clarify a good "decent investment" from my point of view.

For me as a beginning small investor, I mostly have 2 copies of each set, therefore I' m aiming at doubling the price I've paid for one set. Not that easy, unless I've made the wrong choices or paid to much for a set so far ;-D

So the question for me is "will this sea cow double or not".

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met behulp van Brickpicker

I think they question with toy investing is does this have potential to sell for 1000x its original value like a Star Wars 12 back. In today's money, this cow is nearly as much as the 5000 piece MF

Its a sci-fi to compare these 2 themes... Movie mania will be over few months after Movie 2 is released.

I'm not comparing the movies at all. All I'm saying is that in each movie there is a flagship vehicle and the seacow is the lego movies. It doesn't matter to me either way if the set flops or whatever. Ill be getting the seacow because it is freaking awesome. Even if there was no lego movie and they decided to just release a weird ship called the seacow I would still get it. If I was given a choice to pay 300 for a seacow or only 100 for a Simpsons house, without even a second to think about it I would take the cow.

Guest TabbyBoy

This hype has put me off getting one anyway, I think it looks ridiculous and top heavy. Since it not a franchised/licenced AFOL theme, I can't see it bringing in a decent return. For similar money, I'll take a Simpsons House. I may be going against the grain here but, so did Warren Buffett.

I wish you guys would stop trying to convince everyone that they should buy this set.

I wouldn't worry about it. If people need convincing, chances are, they still won't buy it.

Its a sci-fi to compare these 2 themes... Movie mania will be over few months after Movie 2 is released.

Which will be in 2017 from what I heard. That is quite a long way away.

Guest TabbyBoy

The Sea Cow contains some interesting bits for a project I have in mind.  I was about to order one and it comes with NO VIP points and no Piece of Resistance.  Does anybody here know why?  However, I ordered a 3E and another 5 Rovers after with points and promo.

Since it not a franchised/licenced AFOL theme, I can't see it bringing in a decent return. 

Not saying I disagree with you but Seacow is indeed part of a franchise...the Lego Movie franchise...and its part of Lego intellectual property.  Not trying to be a smart aleck just thinking that we may need to view this as a different entity compared with Galaxy Squad and other non licensed Lego

It's funny. I work in a automobile dealership. A new redesigned model comes out and a bunch of guys will be standing around saying, how terrible it looks. Then someone will walk around the corner and say," have you seen the new model, it's beautiful". No difference I guess, except for the investment side. Let's face it, everyone has a opinion of future worth. Educated and not but, still guesses. Going to the Lego store today, to decide for myself.

• Like 2

Guest TabbyBoy

Contrary to the popular saying.... Great minds DON'T always think alike.  I may, just may get a Sea Cow when it comes with VIP points which it doesn't for me at the moment.  However, I can see this being heavily discounted if retailers get them one day.

This set seems to be splitting opinion. One interesting point a lot of people seem to be making is that its too expensive and most are from the US/Canada. This is of one of the few sets where the UK/US/EU prices are effectively the same rather than having a 30% difference. So is it expensive in the US or cheap in Europe? The only other sets that have a similar pricing strategy are 10220 & 10226. Australian pricing seems ridiculous though.

As to whether it will be successful after EOL; who knows? Is it an exclusive? Yes at the moment. [i think] Is it popular with AFOLs as well as kids? Yes apparently so. Is it part of a licenced theme? Yes it is, Lego's own theme. Will have a limited run? Who knows....

One thing that may help all the Movie sets in their EOL values is the second movie. If the Movie 1 theme runs for say 12-18 months, similar to LOTR wave 1. Then there will be no Movie 1 sets in stores during the build up to the release of the second movie. This may help to push up values.

Contrary to the popular saying.... Great minds DON'T always think alike.  I may, just may get a Sea Cow when it comes with VIP points which it doesn't for me at the moment.  However, I can see this being heavily discounted if retailers get them one day.

Um, I pressed on the LEGO Shop at Home link and it said

Guest TabbyBoy

This set seems to be splitting opinion. One interesting point a lot of people seem to be making is that its too expensive and most are from the US/Canada. This is of one of the few sets where the UK/US/EU prices are effectively the same rather than having a 30% difference. So is it expensive in the US or cheap in Europe? The only other sets that have a similar pricing strategy are 10220 & 10226. Australian pricing seems ridiculous though.

As to whether it will be successful after EOL; who knows? Is it an exclusive? Yes at the moment. [i think] Is it popular with AFOLs as well as kids? Yes apparently so. Is it part of a licenced theme? Yes it is, Lego's own theme. Will have a limited run? Who knows....

One thing that may help all the Movie sets in their EOL values is the second movie. If the Movie 1 theme runs for say 12-18 months, similar to LOTR wave 1. Then there will be no Movie 1 sets in stores during the build up to the release of the second movie. This may help to push up values.

Um, I pressed on the LEGO Shop at Home link and it said

I don't have seen the movie yet, is this ship an iconic one in the movie ? (like an x-wing)

If not it's hard to think that this set would be a good investment since it means that after EOL people will have to buy it 300$ and more... :-/

Its iconic enough, and the set comes with the double decker couch which is DEFINITELY iconic! :rofl:

• Like 1

No, I ordered another 5 Mars Rovers straight after without a problem with VIP points and polybag.  Just had email to say they're on their way.  It's an omen, I'll wait for Sea Cow to be discounted and I'm still not convinced by it or the movie theme for that matter.  Eventually sets in this them should be discounted and I may then be tempted.  I've only spent about