70810 - MetalBeard's Sea Cow

Brickbuilder.g

Man that thing is huge!  Investmentwise I have no clue.  Most here seem to want one, including me.  It is steampunk and has "queezy-kitty"  I'll pick up one extra for investment, but it's too risky for me to go heavy into.  Now if they sell out at Christmas and sell for $400+ I'll change my tune.

I like how they emphasized the exclusivity of the figs and micromanagers.  I hope this set goes well as I would love to see more steampunk sets :)  If I had $250+tax laying around I would have bought the set to build.  Alas all my pocket money went to investment side of my storage space these days.

To all who will be building this set: Could you snap a picture of the Sea Cow with QAR and IF ?  I would like to see some comparisons

$250 is cheap. Unfortunately its not available for that price here in Australia. No sane person is going to pay $400 for this set!

how are these getting priced by the way?

as much as I want this, or other sets in the price range, these sets are not cheap!

and I think $250 is pricy, $400 is just ridiculous!

is Lego really gonna sell any at that price? ( I am sure people still buy them, but probably not as many as they could sell)

how are these getting priced by the way?

as much as I want this, or other sets in the price range, these sets are not cheap!

and I think $250 is pricy, $400 is just ridiculous!

is Lego really gonna sell any at that price? ( I am sure people still buy them, but probably not as many as they could sell)

I wouldn't be surprised if to some extent this pricing is a "test" to see if the movie could drive people into spending over $200 on sets.

I wouldn't be surprised if to some extent this pricing is a "test" to see if the movie could drive people into spending over $200 on sets.

yeah, probably.

probably some marketing, and depends on how the movie do in general and in Australia, etc etc.

Isn't the exchange rate almost at purity now? so people are basically paying so much more in Aust.

It just doesn't make sense, people are either totally shut out because it's way too expensive, or they can buy it from US and have it shipped and that's still way cheaper.

These price differences are nonsense in present global world. I really dont understand, why TLG makes such strange price politics, and how can they describe it in public. Its not just an Australian problem - in Europe are prices around 35 % bigger than in USA, although lego is an European toy and produced in Europe !!! So no way to say that it is due the shipping costs etc. Its a nonsense and extremly unfair. And if we go further to the east, the prices are higher and higher - I remember my surprise seeing the lego prices in Beijing or Bangkok. This is not just unfair, but also stupid in my opinion. We cannot be surprised seeing so much fake sets from China - TLG supports such trends, since their products are unaffordable for Asian masses with limited sources. Its out of logic to put bigger prices for poor countries and low prices for rich countries. TLG would do better if they decrease the Asian prices to minimum, even under US prices. Because the Asian market is extremly underrated by TLG and undeveloped (it can be seen from Bricklink point of view - big China or India have together less BL sellers than my small country).

the more we discuss this, the less sense it's making how TLG is pricing these sets.

I basically create a arbitrage opportunity for the price difference.

but i guess if it's priced so ridiculous high at certain places, people just got discouraged and totally lost interest!

I'd say that I am lucky that's only $250 in the US for this set (for example), if it's $400 bucks, I am playing something else =P

$250(US) seems high but it looks like a large set.  Price is primarily based on amount of ABS plastic in a LEGO set(weight), so until I actually see a box to gauge size, I cannot say the price is too high.

just bought one. The box is as large as simpson's house but heavier. Only one instruction which is really thick (300 pages almost)

post-28795-0-19599500-1392676887_thumb.j

post-28795-0-24267600-1392676888_thumb.j

post-28795-0-14875700-1392676889_thumb.j

• Like 3

Comment on the picture above comparing it the Sea Cow box to the Simpsons.  I saw the Simpsons set at the store today and I hate to say it but I was underwhelmed.  It was smaller than I had imagined it was going to be for a good number piece count.  I think the Sea Cow will look much more impressive since it will have vertical height.  Just opened a beer, time to start building.

• Like 1

I'm about 2/3 of the way through the Sea Cow build, and frankly it's a work of art.  This set is unbelievable - it combines the best of large builds and small, it comes with the couch, a mini-Metal Beard (who is just phenomenal - really well done), Benny, Unikitty, Emmett, and Wyldstyle.  The two micromanagers are nice, but similar to others.  The single manual is awesome - over 300 pages all bound into one book.  And it's just so damn big and impressive.  The build is really fun, too - lots of neat details around every corner. 

I don't know what to say to anyone that's bad mouthing the set other than you need to build one to see how slick this thing is.  I get it if you only like "realistic" builds, but this set maintains enough realism that I think it will appeal to most builders.  "Whimsical realism", perhaps.  There are some nice build techniques on this set too, and it has that steampunk essence running through the entire build to put it over the top.

The Sea Cow is amazing and I could easily see people paying $500+ for this set.  It's so damn impressive and unique.  And it's a fresh take on TLG's pirate ship genre.  And it has all of the best characters from the movie, the double-decker couch, and two micromanagers.  My only real issue with the set from a marketing perspective is its name: Sea Cow.  If it had a more steampunky name, I think this one would really top the charts.  Sea Cow is a pretty "meh" name though - this kick-butt ship deserves better.

• Like 2

Any risk waiting until March 1st to order the Sea Cow if you're willing to wait?  I think a free Martian Manhunter would be worth the wait, no?

That is my plan.  I don't think they will sell out.  If they are out of stock, you can still place your order and get the free minifigure.  They will ship the set when it is available and you should get the minifigure right away.  At least that has been my experience in the past.

Any risk waiting until March 1st to order the Sea Cow if you're willing to wait?  I think a free Martian Manhunter would be worth the wait, no?

Not really - as a matter of fact I think that's an excellent idea.  The Emmett Piece of Resistance polybag is nice, but there are so many Emmetts on the market now it's not that special.  Martian Manhunter should have a higher ceiling that the Emmett poly. 

But will it appeal to you enough to plunk down $250 for this set instead of another $250 set like a Tower Bridge or Ewok Village?

That`s a very good point, and I`m sure it is true for most other AFOLs/TFOLs/etc. In all seriousness though, for myself, I would pick the Sea Cow over both of those as a display piece.  Just my taste. Not true of very many others I assume, so for investment, the better option seems to be TB, SSD, R2-D2, EV, etc. They`re all great sets, no denying that, but I just mean that if I had only choose one for personal aesthetic reasons, it would definitely be Sea Cow, followed closely by R2-D2. I plan on grabbing both next time x2 VIP points rolls around  :thumbsup: