70810 - MetalBeard's Sea Cow

Brickbuilder.g

I don't think the popularity of TLM will diminish so greatly that this set will be a flop for Lego. It may not be a great "flip" but it looks like a great build. I'm not one to buy and resell that much so to me this set looks fantastic.

It's not designed to fit in with other ships and it really wouldn't look good next to the Imperial Flagship, but next to some other steampunk stuff like the plane from the Monster Fighter Train set, or some of the other TLM sets and it would look great.

Exactly.......and don't forget about MBA kit 20215

The problem with that is that who knows how long the movie sets will be available? What if lego retires them after the movie leaves theatres? I personally don't give any of these movies sets a long life. At some point they are gonna have to make Room for the sequel sets. I just really don't see these sets being available this time next year. There is no harm in stocking up on this theme now.

LEGO will "milk" the proverbial Sea Cow dry...You can take that to the bank!

Designer video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L1ybcyEAq8

Man that thing is huge!  Investmentwise I have no clue.  Most here seem to want one, including me.  It is steampunk and has "queezy-kitty"  I'll pick up one extra for investment, but it's too risky for me to go heavy into.  Now if they sell out at Christmas and sell for $400+ I'll change my tune.

But will it appeal to you enough to plunk down $250 for this set instead of another $250 set like a Tower Bridge or Ewok Village?

Even better question is....

if you had neither and would have 500$ and all were retired...

Would you rather buy (assuming all retired and all cost the same)

haunted House, Tower Bridge, Ewok Village, Modulars or this?

i know this one would be my last choice :P

• Like 1

But will it appeal to you enough to plunk down $250 for this set instead of another $250 set like a Tower Bridge or Ewok Village?

This is my exact stance too.  There are so many great sets around that price point that individuals like me who have to pick and choose which exclusive to buy.  Back in the day with sales I would probably pick one up but now I rather get the x-wing, tower of orthanc, simpsons house, etc

No bet on the game.... I forgot to play bets.... USA demolished us next day though 1:5 :D But then again our country has around 150 registered hockey players :D

Yeah, USA is playing well.  But that was a nice win over a good team, you should be proud. Okay...back on topic:

The Lego Movie really got me to rethink what I thought was a great about Lego...some of what happened in there was VERY similar to my life....and I was Lord Business! :(

• Like 3

The Lego Movie really got me to rethink what I thought was a great about Lego...some of what happened in there was VERY similar to my life....and I was Lord Business! :(

Yeah - I can definitely relate. I have my 'off limits' displays which I've now loosened up on. When my youngest once asked me,"Why is that so important to you?" (Referring to my UCS Yoda at the time) it was like a gut punch. It's easy to get too far wrapped up in this stuff and lose sight of what's truly important.

I did have to laugh one time when she built something she was proud of that she didn't want her little brother to mess up, so she asked me, "Can we make this one 'flements' (off limits) too?".

I bet this one will be a pain if you build it and like, walk by and brush against it and some pieces fall off. It's so out there in design you won't know where to stick the fallen pieces back on without pulling out the instruction manual again. LOL Or since it IS so far out there, you can just stick the fallen pieces anywhere and they will look ok. :P

• Like 1

I'm going to put in my measly 2 cents.  I realy don't buy lego for investment purposes like many of you do here.  Every set I own, I have built and displayed.

Now, I got the email notification for this set this morning and went online and looked at it, and 5 minutes later, I ordered it.  I'm super excited to build this set.  Sure it's not 'realistic', or may not be the best 'investment,' but screw it, I don't care.  I buy lego because I love to build the sets and put things together.  If down the road the set used returns more than retail I would be more than pleased with that.

I remember building lego as a kid and outside of the SW UCS models in the early 2000s, I would mess around with all my other lego sets and play the living hell out of them and sometimes toy around and make my own stuff up.

It appeals to me, just for the sole purpose of how unique it is.  It's such an awesome set, and I just can't wait to put it together.

• Like 4