70810 - MetalBeard's Sea Cow

Brickbuilder.g

personally i didnt like the set so i didnt buy any, dont really regret it, just put my money elsewhere...

to me it looks like someone's dog ate the imperial flagship and *$&% it out. there wasnt much of the sea cow in the movie either as far as i can remember, hence my decision, but what do i know. im glad the rest of you got in on that.

40% barely covers the fees and shipping on this cow, lets see how it does going forward

Edited by jerryherb
  • Like 1

Most people, including myself, cannot buy 10 or 15 of every large set.  It is getting hard enough to keep pace with the current LEGO lineup.  There are a lot of large, quality investment sets out there and the Sea Cow had mixed results.  It could have been a home run or a single, but I would caution getting too optimistic on this set right now.  There are a lot if investors and resellers buying these sets up now because they missed it earlier.  

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Most people, including myself, cannot buy 10 or 15 of every large set.  It is getting hard enough to keep pace with the current LEGO lineup.  There are a lot of large, quality investment sets out there and the Sea Cow had mixed results.  It could have been a home run or a single, but I would caution getting too optimistic on this set right now.  There are a lot if investors and resellers buying these sets up now because they missed it earlier.  

Than it is the art of selling before the late resellers give up and the price plummets.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, emazers said:

Alot of post I read is that most people didn't like the set, would never buy any and its a big dud.

exactly.  the majority passed up the sea cow set for just about every other exclusive.  honestly, i can't blame them given storage  and / or financial constraints.  while the ship's design is awesome, everything else can be had in far cheaper sets.  plus some folks were turned off for what you were getting for $250.  i'm sure all of the latter are many of the reasons it sat, and sat and sat in retail stores. 

anyway, for those who purchased the set, kudos as supply vs. demand is currently in sea cow owners' favor :)

13 minutes ago, PeaceBD said:

Does anyone know how many numbered bags are there in this set. I have beat up one sitting on the shelf of a big box store near me. Its a return so just want to make sure it has all the bags.

1x1, 2x2, 2x3, 1x4, 2x5, 2x6, 3x7, 2x8, 2x9, bag of large parts, 5 piece hull, Instructions, stickers

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

exactly.  the majority passed up the sea cow set for just about every other exclusive.  honestly, i can't blame them given storage  and / or financial constraints.  while the ship's design is awesome, everything else can be had in far cheaper sets.  plus some folks were turned off for what you were getting for $250.  i'm sure all of the latter are many of the reasons it sat, and sat and sat in retail stores. 

anyway, for those who purchased the set, kudos as supply vs. demand is currently in sea cow owners' favor :)

however, the market is limited to completionists in a set line full of duds. one has to carefully observe sea cow's peak or hope for a spike when the new movie arrives

Edited by jerryherb

41 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

what do you mean?

all "lego movie" sets have been heavily discounted and available pretty much everywhere. by duds i mean long-term investment-wise, not from creative point of view. TLG saturated the market and only the high price of the sea cow kept its sales numbers low compared to others in the "lego movie" lineup. im talking lone ranger bad, prince of persia bad, etc.

of course that is just my humble opinion

Edited by jerryherb

33 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Great points Ed. 

Since I regularly build sets and don't favor one theme over another, I like to think I'm the average Lego AFOL.

In 5 years from now, I think many folks won't care if they missed out on this set. Sure, the set looks great but would people rather spend hard earned money on this or a Tumbler, X-Wing, slave 1, Helicarrier, Tower Bridge, the amusement park sets,  etc...

The Sea Cow just doesn't do it for me (and prob many other people) and I actually like it but not enough to break open the sealed bags in the opened box one in my collection.

i think the current price spike is mainly resellers.  we'll see how the dust settles in 2 years.

People couldn't afford $270 after tax and weren't sure about it.  The fact this thread is picking up steam with regret and worry is ridiculous given how much opportunity there was to buy this average set. Everybody had the chance to buy these easily in large amounts for the last month, even Tumblers which spiked.   The early gains being seen with these sets is still nothing like the spike seen with Arkham Asylum, Town Hall, Haunted House, and Millennium Falcon.  At-AT and Star Destroyer both increased 50% off their easy buy in around $100-110 within 2 weeks of OOS.  Now if the listings on Amazon and what's available for the SC is truly around 30 at any given time or less, there's going to be many tears shed for such a great miss.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JRandall said:

People couldn't afford $270 after tax and weren't sure about it.  The fact this thread is picking up steam with regret and worry is ridiculous given how much opportunity there was to buy this average set. Everybody had the chance to buy these easily in large amounts for the last month, even Tumblers which spiked.   The early gains being seen with these sets is still nothing like the spike seen with Arkham Asylum, Town Hall, Haunted House, and Millennium Falcon.  At-AT and Star Destroyer both increased 50% off their easy buy in around $100-110 within 2 weeks of OOS.  Now if the listings on Amazon and what's available for the SC is truly around 30 at any given time or less, there's going to be many tears shed for such a great miss.

*shrug*, and such is business, moving along

Does anyone know how many numbered bags are there in this set. I have beat up one sitting on the shelf of a big box store near me. Its a return so just want to make sure it has all the bags.

1x1, 2x2, 2x3, 1x4, 2x5, 2x6, 3x7, 2x8, 2x9, bag of large parts, 5 piece hull, Instructions, stickers

Thanks a lot!

The Sea Cow is a genius set, however you have to look at it in a certain way to really appreciate it. It is a creative madness, designers going apeshit. You can only have something like this if you are not constrained to some base material. 

The design concept of this ship was created for the sake of being built from LEGO, not the opposite way around, LEGO copying an existing object. It is pure fun just for this and has nothing to do with the LEGO Movie brand or any (exclusive) minifigs. That's why it is exciting, because rest of the sets are driven by some existing object in reality or other non-LEGO fiction. 

I am not saying this will be a classic. But I can say it is a UNIQUE set among exclusives. We have and will have tons of modulars, UCS ships, landmarks etc. One is like the other, give or take. You just can't expect that LEGO will release a creative cluster**** like this once in a while in this scale. 

Edited by inversion
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, inversion said:

The Sea Cow is a genius set, however you have to look at it in a certain way to really appreciate it. It is a creative madness, designers going apeshit. You can only have something like this if you are not constrained to some base material. 

The design concept of this ship was created for the sake of being built from LEGO, not the opposite way, LEGO copying an existing object. It is pure fun just for this and has nothing to do with the LEGO Movie brand or any (exclusive) minifigs. That's why it is exciting, because rest of the sets are driven by some existing object in reality or other non-LEGO fiction. 

I am not saying this will be a classic. But I can say it is a UNIQUE set among exclusives. We have and will have tons of modulars, UCS ships, landmarks etc. One is like the other, give or take. You just can't expect that LEGO will release a creative cluster**** like this once in a while in this scale. 

clusterfarts aint my thing

The SeaCow rise is the evidence, that there is a lot of surprises in lego investing world and you cannot predict anything. For me the SeaCow was sh.t - first, its neither a pirate ship, nor steampunk ship, since it looks like a crazy children boat. Second, the licence + figs are worthless, since Lego Movie mania is over and its not interesting for AFOLs. I refused to buy this set, unless it go to discounts, as other Movie sets... For me the winner of Movie sets was Benny spaceship, since it is great, it is a classic space spaceship, and I was able to buy them with nice discounts. But the lego world is crazy, even such crazy set can rise. Same with duplo looking R2-D2, or the popularity of the barbie-doll-house looking death star... On the other hand, wonderfull classic castle sets like Medieval Market or Kingdom joust have horrible slow rise, although are unique and from favourite theme... Really hard job this investment game...

Edited by mesje

Well, I love it, I have one sealed and one from store with seals broken, I actually wish I had 10 more sealed sea cows, don't know what to think about it in terms of making $, it's not where I want it to be yet, but it's surprisingly $ high already. I guess I will wait and watch it, will search where town hall is at since I saw you guys made a reference to it. Last time I checked was when I sold my only 2 town halls and it was $499

so its not a pirate ship? Agreed

it's not steampunk? Ok, I believe you as I don't know enough about that....

what is it then? Caricature of (some) ship maybe?

.......maybe? People like those too I think

......damn, I'm talking to myself again......and I'm responding too lol

Edited by Lordoflego
  • Like 1