70810 - MetalBeard's Sea Cow

Brickbuilder.g

30 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

I'm so glad I went in big on these as I think these will be of great appeal to Steampunk fans. Also it's a superb build in its own right and you get a lot of plastic for the RRP. It's the only "Movie" set I bothered with.

I was in Thailand over Thanksgiving, missing out on all of the fun. I was bummed I missed prime selling season. I had however received a notification Sea Cow and mos eisley was disappearing. In the panic, I ordered much more than I had originally intended. It turned out to be a good vacation on the wallet and the soul 

12 minutes ago, S.African.AFOL said:

This growth is definitely driven by resellers and not end-buyers. Way too townhall like for my taste. I put my money into Brick Bounties instead. I think you'll get a 100% return out of them far quicker as there are more fans of conventional ships than of steampunky ships with plastic sails.

Honestly brick bounty has to hit 150% appreciation to match Sea cows 100%. Based on fees and multiple shipping costs. I don't think it will even match the return percentage. 

Relative scarcity and similar mindset amongst the people who did buy this will make this continue to rise IMO.

10 hours ago, GhostDad said:

Honestly, the PS over SC mentality would have worked just fine if PS had retired on schedule.  I am legitimately surprised by SC's post-retirement bump though.  We'll see if it's sustainable, or more along the lines of AA's pump 'n dump.  I had a hypothesis all worked out that AFOL's are the money behind the secondary market and they don't like silly sets, which SC is currently messing with.

I think if I did own any, I'd sell at $450 - $500 + shipping, and not wait for the next lego movie in a couple years.  SC's box is a monster that takes up lots of space (one reason I went for PS, ToO, and R5 instead), and I wouldn't want to hold until the new movie only to get hit with a refresh of some sort.

AFOLs love steampunk. SC is steampunk.

This is not a pirate ship, and I would say it is not a steampunk machine either because steampunk is serious stuff and this set is not, it's just a fun and weird ship.

First I hated this set (when it has been released), but few months later I realized this is pure genius, Lego at its best in creation. Complete crazyness, one day haters will be mindblowed, I can bet on it. :)

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, valenciaeric said:

It seems we have divergent results on this and Red 5 on both sides of the pond.I wonder how long it will be until there is convergence.

There's been zero sales of MISB 70810 on ebay EU in the past week (unless I've missed one). The last one that sold was on the 8th Jan (in the UK for €383 plus shipping). Lowest BIN is now €359 plus shipping (Italian seller). I expect to see this price drop further over the next couple of weeks as some sellers lose patience with lack of sales and look to sell for less.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, tractorboy said:

There's been zero sales of MISB 70810 on ebay EU in the past week (unless I've missed one). The last one that sold was on the 8th Jan (in the UK for €383 plus shipping). Lowest BIN is now €359 plus shipping (Italian seller). I expect to see this price drop further over the next couple of weeks as some sellers lose patience with lack of sales and look to sell for less.

haha, is this a comment to force resellers to lower price? If so, it's not working. I think resellers will hold onto this one and the number of sea cows listed will diminish, and returns will continue to grow. I sold a few at 399USD so I'm not crying just yet. Not going to sell anymore as I have taken my listings down.

Some of you are committing the fallacy of assuming that all sellers send in their product at the same time and get frustrated at the same time.  I haven't been able to buy at retail for two weeks, there are not a ton on the way to FBA.  Also, Ebay buyers tend to be a little cheaper than amazon buyers.

21 minutes ago, tractorboy said:

Cheapest I can see using EU filter for new sets is 320 plus shipping and last sale was 359 3 days ago, both Italian. 18 listings. Stalemate situation.

• Like 1

I'm torn here. It is an impressive set (in a gargantuan box) which is highly unlikely to be remade. But, I just sold my only copy to net US$120 or so as I bought it at a discount. Those who think it'll be a long-term success may well be right and if mine went to one of you lads/girls, best of luck. It'll be interesting to see.

8 minutes ago, Battrax said:

I'm torn here. It is an impressive set (in a gargantuan box) which is highly unlikely to be remade. But, I just sold my only copy to net US$120 or so as I bought it at a discount. Those who think it'll be a long-term success may well be right and if mine went to one of you lads/girls, best of luck. It'll be interesting to see.

Sea Cow 2.0 is a possibility, if there can be a Sonic Raider 2.0 and Destiny's Bounty 2.0.

• Like 2

On 3/22/2015 at 10:29 PM, emazers said:

Like I said before the Sea Cow is a great set, I have gotten 5 this week and will have 5 or more by the end of the year, remember the Lego movies will be watched years from now and there will always be people wanting to have this set, so stop debating if this set is a winner. Pick a few up when you can, and if you wait you no whats going to happen when its to late, Why didn't I get some of these. Ed

Like I keep saying why do so many keep waiting and waiting to get a great set until the last minute, now there are many guys on this site that are regretting not getting another great money maker.   Ed

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, emazers said:

Like I keep saying why do so many keep waiting and waiting to get a great set until the last minute, now there are many guys on this site that are regretting not getting another great money maker.   Ed

hi ed, please read this thread and my sea cow blog. the issue is NOT that people waited until the last minute on the sea cow.  this set was purposely ignored because peoples' focus were on buying tons of other sets like 10240 x-wing, tumbler, 10188 DS, ToO, Ewok Village etc... not everyone can buy every exclusive due to space constraints.  it's more about picking and choosing the right sets with some luck.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

hi ed, please read this thread and my sea cow blog. the issue is NOT that people waited until the last minute on the sea cow.  the topic is this set was purposely ignored because peoples' focus were on buying tons of other sets like 10240 x-wing, tumbler, 10188 DS, ToO, Ewok Village etc... not everyone can buy every exclusive due to space constraints.  it's more about picking and choosing the right sets with some luck.

Alot of post I read is that most people didn't like the set, would never buy any and its a big dud.

• Like 2