70810 - MetalBeard's Sea Cow

Brickbuilder.g

48 minutes ago, BrickLegacy said:

Lowest FBA/Prime is $550 with only 11 offers.  Lowest eBay Buy it Now US seller is $460+15 shipping.

I was thinking about flipping a couple when it hit $500 but I might hold off now.  This is unprecedented growth.

I think we saw similar growth with TH HH and R2 fueled by resellers buying EOL, but one thing that differentiates the SC from them is the amount of sellers and the number of units available. Currently on eBay BIN New there are only 35 sets available from 26 sellers with 3 being the most any single seller has listed, if you take out the non-US sellers (sorry Canada and Russia) and the dropshippers. I know at least 2 of those 26 sellers have many more stashed away and others like you and I haven't even begun to list yet, but supply does seem limited. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pseudoty said:

I know at least 2 of those 26 sellers have many more stashed away and others like you and I haven't even begun to list yet, but supply does seem limited. 

I'll be sitting on my pile for 2 years minimum. Was a day one believer in the cow and was slowly buying when I could. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, sauromosis said:

Keep hating the cow, it runs on hate...churns hate through its large, steampunk engines and keeps on rocketing towards a prosperous future.

Every time I look at pictures of this beast I love it even more. Haven't built it and not sure when I will since I only have 1.

I'm curious what people expect for returns and the length of time for appreciation. I am having a hard time gauging the "right" time to sell.

From my observation most sets relatively quickly hit a certain price point where it stagnates for a very prolonged period of time. Haunted House, R2D2, TH, AA are still there... Does anyone know how long on average this period of stagnation normally lasts? I know it used to be ~2 years but it seems to be lasting longer than that now a days.

11 minutes ago, landphieran said:

I'm curious what people expect for returns and the length of time for appreciation. I am having a hard time gauging the "right" time to sell.

From my observation most sets relatively quickly hit a certain price point where it stagnates for a very prolonged period of time. Haunted House, R2D2, TH, AA are still there... Does anyone know how long on average this period of stagnation normally lasts? I know it used to be ~2 years but it seems to be lasting longer than that now a days.

I think the Sea Cow could follow the Town Hall arc. Fast appreciation and then stabilize. I think a lot of the current sales are to investors just like the TH was right after it vanished. Once the smoke clears it could stagnate at $550-600 for a while. The rarity of it is the wild card. If it is end users buying it now it will keep going up. 

The sets you listed all have another 9 months to the 2 year mark. I think R2 and HH could climb another $100. AA could struggle with the new classic Batcave. No clue on TH, it seems to have slipped a bit. 

48 minutes ago, landphieran said:

Taking profits on my small stack now (only 18 to sell). $440 after all fees, $160 buy in. Out of all my sets I don't see this one growing by a big multiple from $549 anytime soon. We are setting up a new reef tank so alot of the profits will be going straight back to Amazon lol. What a racket these guys have going on :)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, asharerin said:

Taking profits on my small stack now (only 18 to sell). $440 after all fees, $160 buy in. Out of all my sets I don't see this one growing by a big multiple from $549 anytime soon. We are setting up a new reef tank so alot of the profits will be going straight back to Amazon lol. What a racket these guys have going on :)

Off topic but welcome to the addiction of reef tanks!  It's even more addictive and expensive than Lego! :) 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, asharerin said:

Ahhh the aquarium hobby. Let me know if you want to get rid of a cow from your Sea. ;-)

Years ago I made the conscious decision to get into Freshwater and not Salt. Glad I did. Been doing a Freshwater planted tank for years now.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, pstebbing said:

Ahhh the aquarium hobby. Let me know if you want to get rid of a cow from your Sea. ;-)

Years ago I made the conscious decision to get into Freshwater and not Salt. Glad I did. Been doing a Freshwater planted tank for years now.

We have multiple reefs plumbed together with everything automated which is great until the guaranteed yearly glitch and flood. Then the Sea Cow will be right at home sailing around our living room floor!  

• Like 1

I stood in two stores today which had this at €220 and I couldn't pull the trigger in either, I think I had performance anxiety or something. I'll be back their direction on Friday, might get another shot, or could chicken out again :)

On a serious note, if your choice is this set for €220, which is 12% below RRP here or AT-AT's at RRP, which would you go for. I'm leaning towards the Sea Cow because I've none and I have 5 At-At's, but I passed on these when they were €176, just didn't see the appeal, so I'm doubting myself now.

47 minutes ago, Sprocket77 said:

I stood in two stores today which had this at €220 and I couldn't pull the trigger in either, I think I had performance anxiety or something. I'll be back their direction on Friday, might get another shot, or could chicken out again :)

On a serious note, if your choice is this set for €220, which is 12% below RRP here or AT-AT's at RRP, which would you go for. I'm leaning towards the Sea Cow because I've none and I have 5 At-At's, but I passed on these when they were €176, just didn't see the appeal, so I'm doubting myself now.

The market, at least here in the US, certainly sees some appeal in the Sea Cow.  Are you hesitating because you're hung up on regret for not getting them for 176 and now having to pay 220?

48 minutes ago, Sprocket77 said:

I would have been all over that.  But, that's in the US market.  I don't know what the market is like where you are.