70810 - MetalBeard's Sea Cow

Brickbuilder.g

For those who don't read and pay attention, I was serious. No more blah blah blah complaining about other members or making comments that are irrelevant to this LEGO set. Go post your complaints in the complaint thread or the ethics thread or somewhere else.

The debate about debating is OVER.

3 hours ago, inversion said:

It is 'easy' money exactly because plenty missed out.

They missed out because they chose to miss out.  It wasn't like this set just disappeared overnight.  There were plenty of indicators.  The funny thing is this will repeat itself over and over again.  People can't hoard them all and will bad mouth a set if they don't have one.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

They missed out because they chose to miss out.  It wasn't like this set just disappeared overnight.  There were plenty of indicators.  The funny thing is this will repeat itself over and over again.  People can't hoard them all and will bad mouth a set if they don't have one.

For some, maybe.  No one likes to be wrong.  But there was plenty of mostly constructive debate over this set long before it retired and anyone had a reason to be negative for that reason.  Some people just don't like the Sea Cow.

It's too bad it is such a unique set, because that makes it hard to apply any lessons learned from its success.  Does this mean it's time to stock up on Benny's SSS?  Seems like kind of a stretch (space ship vs. pirate ship), but I can't really think of any other current set that could be considered similar.

9 minutes ago, GhostDad said:

For some, maybe.  No one likes to be wrong.  But there was plenty of mostly constructive debate over this set long before it retired and anyone had a reason to be negative for that reason.  Some people just don't like the Sea Cow.

It's too bad it is such a unique set, because that makes it hard to apply any lessons learned from its success.  Does this mean it's time to stock up on Benny's SSS?  Seems like kind of a stretch (space ship vs. pirate ship), but I can't really think of any other current set that could be considered similar.

It's really the same thought process over and over throughout a sets lifecycle.  Is this set a winner?  Maybe?  In due time we will know.  Same goes for Benny's Cadillac.

i sold a couple which double my money. I look up the address and see who they are. i am surprise they are the end user (i think). Google street view told me they all live in a mansion which i don't think people live like that will flip Lego for profit or i should say it is a waste of time for them to doing it.       

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LegoEdison said:

i sold a couple which double my money. I look up the address and see who they are. i am surprise they are the end user (i think). Google street view told me they all live in a mansion which i don't think people live like that will flip Lego for profit or i should say it is a waste of time for them to doing it.       

Have you seen my mansion?

Playboy.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, GhostDad said:

I could be completely wrong about SSS, but I think we will still see them at TRU for years (literally 100 in the store, I haven't seen SC 100 deep)

20151220_091425.jpg

• Like 9

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 11:55 AM, justapilgrim said:

I could be completely wrong about SSS, but I think we will still see them at TRU for years (literally 100 in the store, I haven't seen SC 100 deep)

An ordinary day for USA toys'r us shelves. ^^ It makes me feel a little uncomfortable.

In my country, when we see 5 sets in line, stocks are considered "full". ^^

1 hour ago, LegoEdison said:

How do you think they got that Mansion?

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 11:55 AM, justapilgrim said:

Do you think Toys R Us is aware that Benny's SSS is not a Star Wars set?  Or is there some method to the madness here that escapes me?

3 hours ago, Ed Mack said:

I am aware that 'missing' was intentional, but from the end result's viewpoint it does not really matter. This behavior, intentional or not, was the likely source of its success, that's what I am saying. It's not like every people who chose not to invest into it would have done the opposite and the set still would show this performance. Any trash exclusive would be deal of the decade if people chose to ignore it, but even the best ones would flop if everybody and their dog invested into it.

Just a point re: The obviousness of The Lego Movie being "a kids' movie," and not for adults...

There are very, very few modern wide-release "kids' movies," esp. with a  $60,000,000 budget.

Restore a brand from yesteryear in the hopes of capturing identification from post-13 viewers ('15 ex: Alvin & Chipmunks [win,] Pan [lose] ) or elongate a successful 21-min format brand ('15 ex: Spongebob [win]) are the two en vogue pitches...  99% of "kids-only" long-format media is direct to shelf.

Movies like The Lego Movie may seem like a sure thing in retrospect, but it wasn't.  Pan lost $80MM this year with huge brand recognition, Hugh Jackman, and a recognizable young star.  

Even if you kill it with script & story, you have to get people to show up... to secure distribution channels they had to show a specific, proven plan for how they were going to  get 13-24 yr olds interested, and 24-39 to bring the family.

They cast Morgan Freeman, Chris Pratt, Liam Neeson, and Will Ferrell, then give them hundreds of witty double entendres and callbacks like every other animated feature to get people like me to bring the family... My 4 and 8 year old remember the song... I remember about 100 Star Wars callbacks.

Parents were not just considered, they were counted on.  No parents, no Lego Movie.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, inversion said:

I am aware that 'missing' was intentional, but from the end result's viewpoint it does not really matter. This behavior, intentional or not, was the likely source of its success, that's what I am saying. It's not like every people who chose not to invest into it would have done the opposite and the set still would show this performance. Any trash exclusive would be deal of the decade if people chose to ignore it, but even the best ones would flop if everybody and their dog invested into it.

I was agreeing with you.  I just wanted to make the point it was intentional.  

On 1/2/2016 at 0:26 PM, jaisonline said:

I agree with junkrigger

The Sea Cow has solid attributes going for it other than most sets, the ship itself. It doesn't need to rely on minifigs to carry it.

see, i'm not against the Sea Cow and this post was before nearly everyone went "gaga", i mean "moo moo" after this set disappeared.

• Like 1

Look at how quickly the prices go up on Amazon seller listings...jumps from $800 to $950 on page three.    (I certainly know other sellers will add theirs to the listings and it will take longer than it looks to get to that price.)    I think this one will go up quickly.  

I like the Sea Cow b/c it is worth more than when I bought it.  While I think ToO is a better set, I currently like the Sea Cow more :)