70810 - MetalBeard's Sea Cow

Brickbuilder.g

18 hours ago, fossilrock said:

I'd be shocked if anymore exclusives retire this year.  I think most of what remains will be around until next year.  Sure, some may go in and out of stock here and there, but should be obtainable at some point until around October/November.  But, I do think there are a few sets that could be the next Sea Cow next year… It seems that everyone and their mother were buying Red5's and Tumblers last year and into this year, that they left sets like this go by the wayside.  Thats obviously always a lesson.  I guarantee at the end of the year, we'll be seeing "just bought 5 slave 1 posts every 10 minutes, or just "cleared out my lego store of parisian restaurants, pet shops, or palace cinemas" that some other set will just go, and the horde will be like "oohhh that set has no chance, it's lame because blah blah blah".  And of course, it will be the best one of the bunch because few horded it, and in the end there was demand for it because in a world of 7 billion people there's always a variety of tastes and desires.  I personally, always felt Sea Cow was one of the coolest looking sets made.  It may not be everyone's taste, but it is a wild crazy and awesome set.  Well worthy of parting many people from their cash.

Regardless, I guess this is why it's always good to diversify too.  Maybe instead of everyone buying 20 red 5s, some should have maybe cut back on that and bought a few sea cows, but then again if everyone did that, maybe that would limit it's growth since there would be more in the aftermarket. 

So follow the horde!  It is always right :P  

again, it is so important to have your own strategy. One could be, to follow what everyone else is doing but you would generate mediocre profit. Just like with investing in anything else in live, you take more risk, you may see an increase in profits.

Once you have a good understanding of what drives the value of a set, maybe have a set of 10 characteristics, and then identify the number of these characteristics in a certain set. then maybe give it an investment score and executive your own strategy based on that score. This is what I have been doing for the last 8-10 years and it has worked for me. I can't give you my entire strategy but this is an effective way of investing in Lego's or anything else. Stay objective and stay true to your strategy. Don't look at what your competition does, look at what you (potential) clients do.

18 hours ago, fossilrock said:

I'd be shocked if anymore exclusives retire this year.  I think most of what remains will be around until next year.  Sure, some may go in and out of stock here and there, but should be obtainable at some point until around October/November.  But, I do think there are a few sets that could be the next Sea Cow next year… It seems that everyone and their mother were buying Red5's and Tumblers last year and into this year, that they left sets like this go by the wayside.  Thats obviously always a lesson.  I guarantee at the end of the year, we'll be seeing "just bought 5 slave 1 posts every 10 minutes, or just "cleared out my lego store of parisian restaurants, pet shops, or palace cinemas" that some other set will just go, and the horde will be like "oohhh that set has no chance, it's lame because blah blah blah".  And of course, it will be the best one of the bunch because few horded it, and in the end there was demand for it because in a world of 7 billion people there's always a variety of tastes and desires.  I personally, always felt Sea Cow was one of the coolest looking sets made.  It may not be everyone's taste, but it is a wild crazy and awesome set.  Well worthy of parting many people from their cash.

Regardless, I guess this is why it's always good to diversify too.  Maybe instead of everyone buying 20 red 5s, some should have maybe cut back on that and bought a few sea cows, but then again if everyone did that, maybe that would limit it's growth since there would be more in the aftermarket. 

So follow the horde!  It is always right :P  

The set that may catch people off guard would be the ewok village. I see that the attention on the EV has disappeared, for 2 reason, either the horde already got their fill of the EV, or that set is junk.

I don't think the Slave I has been piled into as much as you think. There are more people jumping onto the PS and PR than Slave and EV.

A few posters here were telling us to buy the Sea Cow since it first came out. If you go back further, there were some people piling into the Sea Cow. So this came to no surprise to some and they are slowly counting their profits now. The Sea Cow is the most unique and coolest boat out there. But if you think further outside the box, there are also no other sets like the Ewok Village. The EV has trees linked together, no other lego sets have such a design. I would lump these two together for uniqueness.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ChristopherJB said:

The set that may catch people off guard would be the ewok village. I see that the attention on the EV has disappeared, for 2 reason, either the horde already got their fill of the EV, or that set is junk.

I don't think the Slave I has been piled into as much as you think. There are more people jumping onto the PS and PR than Slave and EV.

A few posters here were telling us to buy the Sea Cow since it first came out. If you go back further, there were some people piling into the Sea Cow. So this came to no surprise to some and they are slowly counting their profits now. The Sea Cow is the most unique and coolest boat out there. But if you think further outside the box, there are also no other sets like the Ewok Village. The EV has trees linked together, no other lego sets have such a design. I would lump these two together for uniqueness.

Ewok Village is mentioned here every day.

1 hour ago, exciter1 said:

Ewok Village is mentioned here every day.

It even has it's own thread that starts off with a classic post 

Now back to the Sea Cow. Looks like resellers have gotten their fill and hopefully this set will sail a steady course upward in price. 

I had to move mine this weekend, working on a new display, and you can realy get lost in this set taking in some of the detail. This is deffinetly a set that grows on you IMO. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 11:46 PM, pete411 said:

It looks like the initial buying frenzy has ended and prices and units sold are slowing down. Back down to $450 (from a high of over $500) on Amazon with zero, count em', 0 units sold in the past three days. 

This ship is sinking.  Selling under $400 These days...  Its Sailing in the wrong direction.

Edited by Miami Bomb Squad
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Azntaiji said:

I'm looking to buy this set for personal use - what are your thoughts on when to purchase? Buy now because price is only going to go up, or wait it out a bit?

The initial sprint appears to be done, so It's probably a buy now scenario.

• Like 1