7965 - Millennium Falcon

johncrumpton

Why are people rushing out to buy this set? I miss something?

Same reason this site exists, money, money, money.

It was hitting $200 last year when it sold out before Christmas. If it's really EOL, it should easily surpass that. Good flip if you got them around $100.

Or was that sarcasm that I missed?

:lol:

Edited by grackleflint

don't get me wrong.  i think it's a nice set. can't wait for my son to be slightly older to crack one open and build it.  seems to be a great flip every holiday season.

not sure about the long-term aspects though for investing.  we all know the MF will appear in the next film.  thus, i would wager a new non-UCS version isn't far behind (yes, with a diff radar dish :)  ).  just my common sense.

Millennium-Falcon-IMAX-Force-Awakens.jpg

Every time I hear somebody be bearish about this MF because the upcoming movie and a potential UCS MF,  I always scratch my head.  Not to say that a UCS MF wont happen but I highly doubt it will happen any time soon.  I'm talking like 7-10 years away.  Slave 1 just came out after how many years along with Ewok Village?  When it comes to the planning stages of SW UCS sets at TLG I don't see a new MF even popping up on their radar anytime soon.

Edited by LegoSteve

Why are people rushing out to buy this set? I miss something?

because:

1.  its retiring.  brickset has its end date as 12/1/14.

2.  its a sw original trilogy set with msrp over $100.  it don't get more OT than the MF.  it has OT minifigures.

3.  its the second largest MF.  no guarantee the next one is going to be bigger.  maybe if i knew with 100% certainty and insider knowledge that there was going to be a 3000 piece MF in 2015, it might temper my enthusiasm.  since I don't, i'm treating 7965 like its a cheap modular.

4.  3 and a half years after its release, it was the most "wish listed" SW lego set on amazon.  that demand isn't going to just go away now that its not available for msrp from major retailers.  

i'm looking for 7965 to make the jump to 2.5x MSRP light space around this time next year barring bouncing too close to a supernova.

don't forget - it made the kessel run in less than 12 parsecs.

• Like 3

I'm bullish on the prospects of this ship even if a modified new version comes out for the movie next year. This is original trilogy after all. I bought these when they got to $80-90 on Amazon earlier in the year but I don't think they lasted long and I believe the limit of 2 per account was also in place. I picked up the last 3 I could find at TRU around here last week using the 15% and 10% cc discounts.

I listed my two on ebay for $175 free shipping.  So far I've had a few low-ballers and one decent offer, but no full bites.  I'm not completely sure that this set will take off this Christmas.  There are a lot of people dumpling them for RRP and to be honest I'm sensing Star Wars fatigue from the general population.

That depends. If you got them at 40% off or better you may be as well flipping some now while there is big demand as a Christmas gift and use the profits/space to reinvest in other sets that have less seasonal demand fluctuations.

If you bought high, then your hands are tied.

My cheapest cost 85 euros and my most expensive was 112 so I am gonna follow both paths.

• Like 1

I am selling all my 7965s I think it would be a good idea for people to follow suit. The non prophet has spoken.

More money can be made within the next 6 months but:

1 - the urge of Xmas is great for flipping with max profits. The price could drop a little on january/february IMO

2 - more money in the incoming months but... maybe not "that much" more money.

3 - it's a risky game to keep some MF for some more months

On the other side, if the new UCS MF is sold $399 and another from the new trilogy has 800/900 pieces, the 7965 will gain even more value.

That's why I'll sell 66% of my MFs before Xmas 2014 and keep the rest for some more months. I guess that's because I'm french I prefer to make some comprises.

Edited by biniou

I am selling all my 7965s I think it would be a good idea for people to follow suit. The non prophet has spoken.

Make that two non-prophets speaking. I wouldn't want to get caught with these when a refresh arrives. My inventory is sold except for 1 unit. It's "risky business" no pun. Sure, it can increase more until the replacement arrives (just a matter of when). However, what happens if TRU suddenly finds more stock in Jan or Feb 2015 for $139.99 or even $149.99 ? Ouch.

Basically there will might be a small window of opportunity to sell after Christmas even if it does retire. Kinda like the Superman Lex Armor set. Looks like the replacement for WW and Supes sets will arrive before this one is totally gone or slightly after.

Additionally, how quickly some people forget about z6211, 6210, and 10144 when they were replaced.