Complaint Thread

rcdb1984

I used to use a razer blade to pop them all and would recycle them. Then one day the people at the dump "caught me" trying to recycle them. Told me these absolutely cannot be recycled and will ruin loads of recyclable material.

I now just bag em and dump them. I have a few coat hangers in which I keep 4-5 bags available for shipping needs.

Some industrial places have paper shredders for packaging material. My dream is to own one, one day.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, landphieran said:

I used to use a razer blade to pop them all and would recycle them. Then one day the people at the dump "caught me" trying to recycle them. Told me these absolutely cannot be recycled and will ruin loads of recyclable material.

I now just bag em and dump them. I have a few coat hangers in which I keep 4-5 bags available for shipping needs.

Some industrial places have paper shredders for packaging material. My dream is to own one, one day.

Now I don't feel so bad about the air pillows that I've thrown away from time to time over the years.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, landphieran said:

It boggles my mind that single use plastic grocery bags can be recycled but popped air pillows can't? Weird.

Working in the crawlspace is gross, getting close to being done with the rewiring I'm doing, though. Mostly because the access was blocked by a dumb conduit, now I don't have to do gymnastics to get in and out. However, I just got finished connecting everything and... it's not working at all. I am rather fond of the silly bare lightbulb I've got in there as a work light. Makes it feel like a little mine or something.

sXKJ3Wd1gN-7lUtI87JlMYLRralQM6MS4E3ZLYiqR1tczkLRRvdvbTc0D9wlIl_d_fAhf6lsG-PvgXAXzpSdCIfbCurpyocXGYShJ9uYQov9D32z3kBlce8KPt4Eb3T_U1K_EwYYRcwZKTMha4Zep10qTsaHJ8h0pUhjPWuVYK5AIdkbYYOAhhdQW7g1ik7NcUeofXIudTpDJ89j78gTjVktHjLSoDxZmyRqbd1wZpfK-qBgCMg6pGAW6LYrC2jsbJLDm6e8tomec3KKjM6H8YsYbuc7Gbjl6G8-VY65746bKTwIsHd-bjt5A0foLvZu-uLMZY0YRdb5H3edO6rVYQKkevGOn1WvWZSM7XOjFEWzwbC3adAELY6j_jPmv5xQ_rerbg9hrl8-Gkl9A1Ar5JsSbGrL86KL2UeeyKg3OYDaTSq6Mk5cPdbjFP6SUSxZrz_G9W18XFM6qCTLvK72PeDvqhJNO5yqVKieZ2CAUzcbSDgz4g5qWlxt321zLkLzxQIOTAILHcUWhtL08J30Q-k7fGV3Yxw3MqDn443oqhdbUNQsX-aiotuNh_z3Smsz_kjYqA_vW3L_tDuL595ZpYlZLoyyO6beLu_ovV9i0WvGj2S9JQmRSO4G2NjU1ntF25WdqE5htGVn4R-byZ71j9OCNWujL9QvxTHXaNF-zgjM8EpMVrLGal58El0XNJxK8d8Wiu8sCkQi4K2MtJLgskZIII1uG0gwgWNnj7VumrLnqDhKPkoAoIF6pcc0OqtKCx_8eOffdyyFOQcceWrb8Y9CWCU_KnIas2K_4eOKfVF_7oLEThnrr6qbXZ4XGpcGQKHJP3EEuVYSaH7C2hkHmGgZX-K6PVBhSfZysjZKpvh_lWnpqr6kbjCrk8UaLUWm7jJt4_6GRQwjv9vUdqq4NxMOwVntV5YryTe4Sp0=w670-h893-no?authuser=0

Edit: loose connection in the first Wago 221 clip. First time using them and they work great, if you make sure the wires are in all the way. Fixed! Now I can move on to the insulation (tomorrow)

Edited by keymomachine

I was taking apart an old custom build of mine and had 5 pieces break on my. Honestly up until 3 years ago, I had never experienced one, now it seems regular. Anyone else experience similar?
Dark brown and dark red from early 2010s sets also crack . However, the 1980s/90s browns held up well

Yay LEGO!

I mean...I actually do want a bunch of the adhesive and stitch-on plates from the Dots patches line just for projects at home. Was hoping that they would one day be available individually on Pick a Brick just so I can grab some.

Now they are...and they cost more individually than the actual sets:

image.thumb.png.a8ac4eb54c1b6cc881e725a519b5baa3.png

image.png.4da519504f942f3bdcd49cab71bae7a9.png

Edited by MrToes16

17 hours ago, Bricklectic said:

spokane washington.

all of sudden every single shipment goes there??

They've totally changed things up this year.  For the last 4-5 years, all of my standard-sized shipments with 18 units or more have gone to one FC that is a few hours down the road.  This year, they've all gotten split between FCs in PA and NJ.  Also, in previous years, my oversized items were generally split between FL, TX, and CA/WA.  This year, they're all going to CA.  It's always something different with Amazon.

32 minutes ago, redcell said:

They've totally changed things up this year.  For the last 4-5 years, all of my standard-sized shipments with 18 units or more have gone to one FC that is a few hours down the road.  This year, they've all gotten split between FCs in PA and NJ.  Also, in previous years, my oversized items were generally split between FL, TX, and CA/WA.  This year, they're all going to CA.  It's always something different with Amazon.

Yep, sometimes it helps however.  In the past most of my standard or smaller items went locally here in Socal.  Now they go to AZ (still next day).  All my big items always went back east.  Now it appears the furthest is mid-west to west coast.  Hard for me to tell really since I've been doing more FBM on larger items.

Although I don't think my items ever went there, we did have a huge Amazon warehouse burn down a couple years ago.  Figure the way government screws with taxes all the time that Amazon has to adjust where they warehouse as well.

Edited by gmpirate

As someone in the midwest, my distribution centers have been the same for the last 6 years. I switched to primarily small sets because large sets fit inefficiently in boxes and the cost/chaos of being scattered across the U.S. makes inventory planning difficult. I have however found in the last few years Amazon prioritizes "buy box" by location resulting in my product moving slower due to being centrally located. I tend to give my inventory extra time during the holidays to be FC transferred to more popular locations.

I am considering moving to palletizing large sets as a much more efficient way of shipping, though committing to sending 100-200 bowser airships seems a bit sus'

Different Strokes..... but since going double wall Home Depot 21 x 15 x 16 I havent looked back. They stack 5 high and fit a ridiculous amount of sets like a dream. And double wall is amazing for shipping without a worry. Yes its more expensive but IMO worth it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Home-Depot-21-in-L-x-15-in-W-x-16-in-D-Heavy-Duty-Medium-Moving-Box-with-Handles-HDMBX/316235446

13 minutes ago, Bricklectic said:

Different Strokes..... but since going double wall Home Depot 21 x 15 x 16 I havent looked back. They stack 5 high and fit a ridiculous amount of sets like a dream. And double wall is amazing for shipping without a worry. Yes its more expensive but IMO worth it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Home-Depot-21-in-L-x-15-in-W-x-16-in-D-Heavy-Duty-Medium-Moving-Box-with-Handles-HDMBX/316235446

The only thing that I didn't like about those HD medium boxes was that they were just a little too big for certain sets and ended up leaving room unused.  I found that using a mix of 24x16x16, 22x16x15 (HD Medium), 20x16x14, 18x18x8, and 15x12x12 (HD Small) was the perfect mix of sizes for almost every set/quantity size.

24 minutes ago, redcell said:

The only thing that I didn't like about those HD medium boxes was that they were just a little too big for certain sets and ended up leaving room unused.  I found that using a mix of 24x16x16, 22x16x15 (HD Medium), 20x16x14, 18x18x8, and 15x12x12 (HD Small) was the perfect mix of sizes for almost every set/quantity size.

I'm so intrigued right now 🤔💦 this is such a different approach than I've taken. I'm guessing your box choices are primarily due to palletizing your shipments. Thus you are essentially case packing them ? 

45 minutes ago, landphieran said:

I'm so intrigued right now 🤔💦 this is such a different approach than I've taken. I'm guessing your box choices are primarily due to palletizing your shipments. Thus you are essentially case packing them ? 

I've changed things up over the last year and am now getting everything case-packed, but my prior approach was driven by the way that I stored sets when I bought everything loose.  I packed everything into boxes depending on the size of the set box (for example, the HD Mediums fit 26 units of the set boxes that the $20 MSRP Great Vehicle sets come in).  I palletized everything and the great thing about the 24x16x16, 22x16x15, and 20x16x14 sizes is that they fit really well on standard-sized pallets (48"x40") in formations that are incredibly stable up to 7-8 feet without needing any stretch wrap.  The 18x18x8s and 15x12x12s weren't as stable so I generally just stacked one layer of those at the top of other pallets.  If you're heading towards doing more palletized freight shipping, the one thing that I would highly highly recommend is an automatic stretch wrapper.  They are expensive, but after the first holiday season that I had to wrap 70+ pallets by hand, there was no amount of money that I wouldn't pay to never have to do that again.

15 minutes ago, redcell said:

They are expensive, but after the first holiday season that I had to wrap 70+ pallets by hand, there was no amount of money that I wouldn't pay to never have to do that again.

That's what this game is all about.  Getting organized and efficient with your time.  Have you looked into getting a pallet scale?