Complaint Thread

rcdb1984

2 hours ago, LegoWalker4 said:

Getting a $250 traffic citation in the mail for failing to stop for a school bus.  The bus driver put the sign out when I was already side by side with front windshield of the bus in the opposite lane, which I thought was odd and was bad timing on my part which left me in a no win situation.  By the way, there is no way to contest it without paying even more money.

I feel for you.  I had a similar situation and I feared they might try to fine me so I took steps to prevent that.

My situation was me was driving into an intersection with a two-way stop.  I was going the direction that had the right-of-way.  

Literally, as I was driving through the intersection to turn left, a school bus had just pulled up to the stop sign to my left.  I did not see any flashing lights, nor could I see the stop-sign on the bus.  The driver deployed the stop sign, honked and yelled at me that I should have stopped as I was next to the bus driver.  *facepalm*  I have no idea where he thinks I should have stopped considering he did not begin to deploy the stop sign and flashers until I was right next to him.  He was at a stop sign; how could I have know he was going to let kids out AT the stop sign?

When I got home I looked up the school district bus company phone number and left a complaint about the bus driver creating an un-safe situation by letting children out at a two-way-stop intersection.  I gave the intersecting street names and time so there would be no mistake who the driver was.  I never got a bill or complaint.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LegoWalker4 said:

Getting a $250 traffic citation in the mail for failing to stop for a school bus.  The bus driver put the sign out when I was already side by side with front windshield of the bus in the opposite lane, which I thought was odd and was bad timing on my part which left me in a no win situation.  By the way, there is no way to contest it without paying even more money.

My wife had to retain a lawyer and go to court for the same violation here, though she was pulled over by a cop who was stalking the bus. Similarly, she was already passing the bus when the sign went out and driving the opposite direction with a cemetery to her right (so no child would reasonably be crossing the street anyways). But Mr. peepers was on the lookout for violators for 'stepped up enforcement' at the beginning of the school year, probably looked up from his phone and saw her and the red lights/sign. The violation isn't just a ticket here, it's a court summons. Worst of all if you just plead guilty to having done it in Illinois and pay the $300 fine, you still get your license suspended for three months! So we had to pay a lawyer who talked to the prosecutor and got it knocked down to a stop sign infraction and paid the fine and court cost or whatnot. Expensive, but I think less than a 75192 MILF all-in-all.

3 minutes ago, LegoWalker4 said:

Cited by cameras and video on the bus.

You should request the camera footage (not just still photos).  If only stills, I would be curious what photos look like when other people have gone past the bus.  If you're the only car immediately next to the bus, I would think that would prove your point.  

The $250 fine might be the least of your worries.  You might want to check to see what it does to your license and possibly your car insurance rates.

2 hours ago, exracer327 said:

You should request the camera footage (not just still photos).  If only stills, I would be curious what photos look like when other people have gone past the bus.  If you're the only car immediately next to the bus, I would think that would prove your point.  

The $250 fine might be the least of your worries.  You might want to check to see what it does to your license and possibly your car insurance rates.

The Maryland county where I live has the following on the citation: Payment of the penalty amount for the violation will not result in points and cannot be used to increase your insurance rates.

That is because they cannot prove from the camera and video footage who was driving the vehicle.  The violation has a website to check the camera footage and still photos which are available in case I take the ticket to court.  I wished it showed the bus not having its yellow flashing lights on first to indicate it was stopping, which it did not.  The violation has a signature by a duly authorized technician employed by the county police department.  It would likely be case of I fought the law and the law one.  If I was blatantly wrong I would be the first to admit it.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, LegoWalker4 said:

The Maryland county where I live has the following on the citation: Payment of the penalty amount for the violation will not result in points and cannot be used to increase your insurance rates.

That's because  they are using it as a civil penalty, not a criminal penalty (aka:ticket,summons,citation from an actual officer)

It's the same as most red light camera citations. Most have no real good mechanism to fight the charge. Failure to pay isn't going to result in a warrant being issued, but might result it in going to collections, which could be worse for some.

This is how "fighting" these work, if your defense is that they can't prove who was driving.

"If it's not you or the registered owner of the vehicle, who is it?"

Anything other than a name and address, they call BS and the civil penalty stands.

Edited by iahawks550

On 11/3/2022 at 10:02 AM, keymomachine said:

I've been sick for like 12 days. Started with a little sore throat that I caught from my wife and daughter, had us all test so THEY could go back to work/school and boom, Covid. I thought I'd made it through the worst of it when I had full on body aches LAST tuesday, but had a mighty resurgence on Sunday/Monday with a new sore throat. Worst part is I had JUST gotten my Covid booster and flu shot three weeks ago. I'm convinced I've got FluVid-22, a new mutant virus just for me, developed in a lab in Hawkins, Indiana (I may be hallucinating things).

My wife, who never gets sick has been down all week with high temps, sore throat, ear infection. Not Covid, but most likely a butt-kicking flu strain.

• Sad 1

On 11/3/2022 at 10:02 AM, keymomachine said:

. I'm convinced I've got FluVid-22, a new mutant virus just for me, developed in a lab in Hawkins, Indiana (I may be hallucinating things).

I was working in the yard a few days ago and a handful of attack helicopters went blasting by to the east in the general direction of Indiana. You might be on to something. 

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:
1 hour ago, landphieran said:

My kohls orders are going to be delivered via USPS... Nooooooooooooooooo we know what that means FML 

Find My Lettuce ?
Finish My Lard?
Fill-up My Lexus?
Fork My Leftover?
Finnish Mordor League?

Finally ... More LEGO!

• Like 2

Today, my USPS mailman for my warehouse was especially annoyed delivering me 3 bags of Lego's. He asked me "When are you going to stop getting deliveries". I replied "When people inevitably stop using the United States Postal Service". He was initially angry at the remark which faded into annoyed grumbling. I want to think he spent the rest of his day contemplating his careers existence.

• Haha 7

3 minutes ago, landphieran said:

Today, my USPS mailman for my warehouse was especially annoyed delivering me 3 bags of Lego's. He asked me "When are you going to stop getting deliveries". I replied "When people inevitably stop using the United States Postal Service". He was initially angry at the remark which faded into annoyed grumbling. I want to think he spent the rest of his day contemplating his careers existence.

I'm sure my guy hates me too but superficially hes nice and calls me boss

Problem is, I get different drivers all the time. Plus 2 or even 3 fedex guys a day.

Come holidays its a nightmare to track tips for fedex, lasership, usps, UPS, when theyre constantly rotating. I wish I could just send one check to some centralized collector who would divvie it up for me.

10 hours ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Find My Lettuce ?
Finish My Lard?
Fill-up My Lexus?
Fork My Leftover?
Finnish Mordor League?

Fettuccine & Meat Lasagna.
Flabby Manly Leotards.
Finance Mom's Loan.
Feisty Moody Lolita.
Flippant Monster Lady.
Fried Mushroom Liquor.
Flamboyantly Magnificent Lover.
Full Military Latrine.
French Mustard Loaf.
Fabulous Mother Lamia.
Funky Madame Lewds.
Flaming Monkey Lightshow.
Fancy Metallic Laserdisc.
Fastfood Menu Licker.

....I think that's enough for now.

It's bad enough I have an alliteration addiction. Get me started on wordplay, I can go all night long. (Or at least for two hours followed by a five-minute break before going at it again.)

• Like 4

I don't know if you all have been following the AI language models being deployed left and right, but Meta's latest entry is just downright terrifying. They trained an AI to beat humans at the strategy game Diplomacy, using empathy, deception, and persuasion. This isn't chess. It had to engage multiple players and manipulate them, work with them, and it beat them. Let that sink in. 

https://gizmodo.com/meta-ai-cicero-diplomacy-gaming-1849811840

Seems like the wrong thread. Hopefully, Amazon buys the tech and uses it to process my claims. At least you can reason with it.

6 minutes ago, Mark Twain said:

I don't know if you all have been following the AI language models being deployed left and right, but Meta's latest entry is just downright terrifying. They trained an AI to beat humans at the strategy game Diplomacy, using empathy, deception, and persuasion. This isn't chess. It had to engage multiple players and manipulate them, work with them, and it beat them. Let that sink in. 

https://gizmodo.com/meta-ai-cicero-diplomacy-gaming-1849811840

• Like 1

Seems like the wrong thread. Hopefully, Amazon buys the tech and uses it to process my claims. At least you can reason with it.

I don’t think you understand. You cannot reason with it anymore than one can reason with a Hurricane. AI is a marketing gimmick for some very complicated math—there’s no sentience or logic. If this is outcome based, you won’t find your claim approved, just be thrown into an infinitely more complex runaround that is designed to manipulate you into being satisfied with nothing through persuasion, empathy, and deception.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk