Ideas #005: 21104 - NASA Mars Science Laboratory Curiosity Rover

Etan

i read earlier in this thread that this set is re-brickable for less than retail?  im fairly new to this game but one thing i'm starting to figure out is what makes a set valuable: rare pieces, minifigs, scarcity, and the overall appeal of the model.  the rover seems to have the appeal factor, and it is definitely scarce, but has no rare pieces or minifigs.  so what's to stop an enterprising individual from putting together rebricked sets and selling them for 1/2 as much as the real sets once these things are officially EOL?

don't get me wrong..i want a few of these, but they really don't seem that awesome outside the fact that i can't get one for retail right now. 

i read earlier in this thread that this set is re-brickable for less than retail?

Even if you can. The set comes with a nice booklet, kind of like the architecture sets. You cannot easily reproduce that - but this is what a collector would want. People buying the rover for $100 are not going to do that as gift for their kids. Most of them anyway.

Even if you can. The set comes with a nice booklet, kind of like the architecture sets. You cannot easily reproduce that - but this is what a collector would want. People buying the rover for $100 are not going to do that as gift for their kids. Most of them anyway.

ah - that makes more sense now.  the booklet is the "rare" piece.  kinda like the architecture studio.

Don't forget the nice box...

There are also some collectors who don't want to open this set, therefore rebrick a set is not an option to them...

Mauro

Yeah, it's the commemorative/collectible nature of the entire set that is appealing. It has a nice, reclosable box, and a cool booklet. In that regard, the Cuusoo sets are a lot more resistant to being faked or bricklinked on the secondary market.

I'm praying that the real Curiosity finds life on Mars. It would immediately become the most significant event in human history and the set would go through the freaking roof.

I consider even smaller hauls to be a triumph at retail prices. I was only able to grab a couple at that. I would be nice to be one of the guys sitting on a pile right now. 

I'm a fan of astronomy, so I may want to keep one of mine for myself. But as it sits, it's still in the box.  :shifty:

I think this set has a lot of room to grow because the Rover is historical and still in service, still making cool discoveries. No matter what, it will always be one of the first machines of it's kind to do what it's doing and be where it's been, So you would think that would bring value as a set.

I am jealous!

Unfortunately I only have 5 of these. I came to late to the game and had to divide my attention to other sets as well. I planned to buy 1 or 2 with every order I would make at shop@home. I am still happy to have 5. So with Xmas I can make 300 euro profit on them. The last two I will keep for the long term.

NASA is going to build a new Mars Rover: http://www.nasa.gov/press/2014/may/construction-to-begin-on-nasa-mars-lander-scheduled-to-launch-in-2016/

Not sure if this will have impact on the CUUSOO set. Maybe people will not want the "old rover" once the new one is launched into space. I hope not though.

The next IDEAS set should be the new rover, that way I can bundle the new and old for :money: :money: :money: :money: :money: :money:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...