Ideas #005: 21104 - NASA Mars Science Laboratory Curiosity Rover

Etan

So I just had a theory. This could be good and it could be bad.

What if...and just bear with me here...what if LEGO is waiting to come out with another production run of the rovers so they can rebrand the box from "CUUSOO" to "IDEAS"?

The SaH page now says "IDEAS" (even though the box photo still shows the CUUSOO logo).

It wouldn't surprise me too much, but it seems weird that it would take this long. I mean how long does it take to produce a set of boxes?

So I just had a theory. This could be good and it could be bad.

What if...and just bear with me here...what if LEGO is waiting to come out with another production run of the rovers so they can rebrand the box from "CUUSOO" to "IDEAS"?

The SaH page now says "IDEAS" (even though the box photo still shows the CUUSOO logo).

If this is the case why didn't we see the Delorean go out of stock while they changed the box? The Rover may come back but I don't think it will have anything to do with the box.

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

• Like 1

So just to clarify, the Cuusoo boxes for the Delorean and prior now say "IDEAS" on them? So basically 2 different boxes are in circulation? 

I doubt it, although others can correct me if I'm wrong. I don't think they'd bother changing all the printing and packaging now that it's already on the market. It makes more sense to just change the labels on any sets moving forward.

I doubt it, although others can correct me if I'm wrong. I don't think they'd bother changing all the printing and packaging now that it's already on the market. It makes more sense to just change the labels on any sets moving forward.

That`s what I was thinking. Still though, wouldn`t be all that much work to do with a new production run, but anything existing would obviously have to stay the same. 

So just to clarify, the Cuusoo boxes for the Delorean and prior now say "IDEAS" on them? So basically 2 different boxes are in circulation?

Not sure. I was just saying that IF they are changing the boxes they would not stop production of a set over such a minor issue as one logo on a box.

Not sure. I was just saying that IF they are changing the boxes they would not stop production of a set over such a minor issue as one logo on a box.

Oh ok, gotcha! Was excited for a variant, just for a second, however unrealistic that is. 

Guest TabbyBoy

I'm ready to jump in big if 21104 ever comes back but, it's been gone too long. Again Lego underestimate demand.

I'm ready to jump in big if 21104 ever comes back but, it's been gone too long. Again Lego underestimate demand.

LEGO knew exactly what they were doing.  They said in their catalog it was a "limited" set.  I never saw that before.  It was indeed limited and many people ignored their "hint."  Wait till you see what happens the next time LEGO marks something as "limited."  People are going to go bonkers and buy mass quantities of sets, even if it is not limited in numbers.  They planted a seed...

• Like 1

LEGO knew exactly what they were doing.  They said in their catalog it was a "limited" set.  I never saw that before.  It was indeed limited and many people ignored their "hint."  Wait till you see what happens the next time LEGO marks something as "limited."  People are going to go bonkers and buy mass quantities of sets, even if it is not limited in numbers.  They planted a seed...

Didn't they say limited about the Scientist girl set as well? I thought I saw only 10K.

Didn't they say limited about the Scientist girl set as well? I thought I saw only 10K.

Was it in the catalog, because the Rover listing said "limited" quantities?  I don't think it was in the catalog.  I'm on vacation and I don't have one in front of me.

i'd just like to say, had i been allowed to take all rovers for the $1000 pick-a-set game, i'd be winning by even more ;)

No, not really.  Current data has the rover up 17.94% from retail (the price you wanted it at).  That's below the top effort your Desert Skiff's have given you so far.  Though the data for Apr/May might change things...

No, not really.  Current data has the rover up 17.94% from retail (the price you wanted it at).  That's below the top effort your Desert Skiff's have given you so far.  Though the data for Apr/May might change things...

it's over $65-80 average now on ebay and going up steadily, once the new data comes in it'll be a sure thing