Ideas #005: 21104 - NASA Mars Science Laboratory Curiosity Rover

Etan

I have no idea why they stopped when they did.  There are no unique pieces, minifigs, printed parts, or stickers (you could easily BrickLink the set).  I doubt licensing would be an issue.  They were able to make more of the first Minecraft set after they sold out, but that is a whole different situation since they changed the title, removed the CUUSOO branding, expanded it with three more micro-worlds, and soon there will be minifigure scale sets.  As I said before, LEGO works in mysterious ways.   

Just seems to confirm the idea that CUUSOO/Ideas is thought of/intended by LEGO as strictly a PR/Marketing/Fan outreach sort of thing where they don't expect it have any impact on their bottom line so producing more isn't worth it to them, they just move along to the next one. Unless of course they see a future large expansion/theme that has broad general appeal like Minecraft. I can see where LEGO saw the Rover as just appealing to hardcore LEGO fans and space/science geeks and not the general populace.

Thanks for all the info. Love the set. 

I mean Lego probably doesn't NEED ideas. But at the same time, these are voted on so you know you have the buyers before hand. I think its kind of silly.

LEGO may not necessarily need Ideas, but thats not what it's all about.  It is partly a way to engage the fan community.  After all, I'm sure most fans of LEGO have dreamt about how cool it would be to design an official LEGO set (as one of those fans, it is indeed an awesome experience).  It is also a way to attract new fans of LEGO by producing interesting sets that reflect popular properties and topics that they might not normally consider producing. I'm sure there are plenty of fans of Minecraft, BTTF, NASA, and Ghostbusters that don't normally buy LEGO who got the set and are now likely to get more LEGO sets in the future.

All I know for sure is that CUUSOO/Ideas sets are produced in batches of 10,000. I thought maybe they did 20,000, but earlier in this thread you guys mentioned that there were three different production codes, which would indicate 30,000 sets. I'm afraid a royalty figure wouldn't be of much help because I only get 1% of net sales, which is some unknown fraction of the sale price.

Welcome to the forum and great work.

Who was it that said 30,000 sets on the previous page? Just goes to show if you keep spewing enough BS something is bound to be correct, see the GE and SSD threads

I've never sold a LEGO set and have no immediate plans to start, but I couldn't help taking an interest in a discussion thread about a LEGO set that I designed.  Anyway, It's been interesting to use the tools here to track the interest in my set.  Hopefully all the stored sets in your closets eventually find good homes, even if the buyers, such as myself, have to pay a bit more for them now.

Wow, Perijove, you have been a member for a few months and only now we notice you. Salutations! post-2081-0-94467800-1369925550.gif

LEGO may not necessarily need Ideas, but thats not what it's all about. It is partly a way to engage the fan community. After all, I'm sure most fans of LEGO have dreamt about how cool it would be to design an official LEGO set (as one of those fans, it is indeed an awesome experience). It is also a way to attract new fans of LEGO by producing interesting sets that reflect popular properties and topics that they might not normally consider producing. I'm sure there are plenty of fans of Minecraft, BTTF, NASA, and Ghostbusters that don't normally buy LEGO who got the set and are now likely to get more LEGO sets in the future.

Right. My point was you are underpaid for your idea getting a few sets and 1% of some net amount. Probably ends up being a couple grand meaning they made 200k.

But I'm sure it was fun.

Guest TabbyBoy

I failed miserably to get 100 Mars Rovers, bought 97 in total and sold over half too early but, I still made good money  However, the ones I have left are good money in the bank and I'll let them ride at

I'm 99% sure the Curiosity rover is gone for good.  I've checked with the powers responsible multiple times, just to be sure.  The remaining 1% uncertainty is just a result of my own naive hope, because I wouldn't mind having a few (many) more rovers myself.  They admitted to underestimating the demand for this set and that it would be taken into consideration for future releases.   I must admit I'm a bit jealous of those who claim to have 100+ rovers, not because I'm interested in reselling, but so I could leisurely give them away for the rest of my life.  I've never sold a LEGO set and have no immediate plans to start, but I couldn't help taking an interest in a discussion thread about a LEGO set that I designed.  Anyway, It's been interesting to use the tools here to track the interest in my set.  Hopefully all the stored sets in your closets eventually find good homes, even if the buyers, such as myself, have to pay a bit more for them now. 

How does it feel to have a set you designed hoarded?

How does it feel to have a set you designed hoarded?

It's been fun following all the speculation and tracking the progress in the price guide.  I wish it had been around longer so I could have hoarded a few more myself.  People ask me about the rover's availability all the time and it's not very enjoyable having to tell people that the set is gone, except on eBay.  I'm glad so many people liked the set and I hope those who have stocked up have at least opened one to enjoy.  It really is a fun and educational little set.  

• Like 1

No but maybe I should post a case like it for $495!

More power to him!

:)

Says the guy selling them for $150 ;)

Psuedoty what you doing scalping like that?

I figured I would see if there is any interest since I have never seen a case on eBay. But you get the Usual Price:

• Like 1