Ideas #005: 21104 - NASA Mars Science Laboratory Curiosity Rover

Etan

I figured I would see if there is any interest since I have never seen a case on eBay. But you get the Usual Price:

Oh whoops haha, didn't even look at the ebay id before posting. I agree with the others though, the price is high now but with the way it's going it won't be long before someone buys. Good luck to you!

Says the guy selling them for $150 ;)

I figured I would see if there is any interest since I have never seen a case on eBay. But you get the Usual Price:

I meant to tell you my markdown sale for 10% off has been not running! I need to renew it. It will then sell for a depressed $135 each. :)

I am guessing these things hit $150 by Christmas.

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

I've got enough of these in stock to upset a few people but, I'm holding until probably November ready for the Xmas spike.  What's more, my first listing will be to EU buyers only as less risk of shipping problems.

To any collectors in Winnipeg, MB (That's in Canada for people who don't know), there are 6 Rovers left at Kite and Kaboodle in the Forks Market for $34.99 CDN. Also worth noting to any people wondering if they should make a trip here, is that they do carry a few retired sets for numerous lines (I mainly looked at LEGO Star Wars sets). For non residents, I don't believe they ship anywhere else (if anybody is wondering), but not totally sure.

http://kiteandkaboodle.com/products.php

To any collectors in Winnipeg, MB (That's in Canada for people who don't know), there are 6 Rovers left at Kite and Kaboodle in the Forks Market for $34.99 CDN. Also worth noting to any people wondering if they should make a trip here, is that they do carry a few retired sets for numerous lines (I mainly looked at LEGO Star Wars sets). For non residents, I don't believe they ship anywhere else (if anybody is wondering), but not totally sure.

They won't ship to us

Thanks for the heads up, asanjuan62.

I called in Thursday and reserved 2, and went in to pick them up today (Friday).

Great to find this EOL set for something close(ish) to retail.

I have this self imposed policy of never clean up everything on the shelves, just to give others the opportunity to get and hopefully build the set(s). This set almost made me wished I never had that policy :shocked: I could have had many more in inventory instead of whatever numbers I have right now :D

We can only speculate why the Rover was produced in such a limited amount. 

Perhaps as said, it was in the contract with NASA that they could make x Rovers

or perhaps it is because the Delorean semt like a flop

or perhaps they instated a policy that would say, from now on, we will build 20.000 of a Lego Idea, if people don't like it, at least they'll be gone soon enough...

Or perhaps a bit of all.

What matters is, that it's gone... and that a decent return can be expected for the investment in this item.

This seems weird that it's retired already.  It was never labeled as a limited edition item (as far as I know), appears to have sold really well.  Did Lego make a weird contract with NASA?

The exact wording Lego used in their January 2014 Catalog concerning the Rover was "Limited Quantity", so I think they gave us fair warning.

Edit: To be honest, I never really understood why so many thought that the Rover would be coming back. It was OOS for 6 months and we were still getting posts about speculation of its mysterious return.  :ermm:

Edited by comicblast
  • Like 1

Edit: To be honest, I never really understood why so many thought that the Rover would be coming back. It was OOS for 6 months and we were still getting posts about speculation of its mysterious return.  :ermm:

Many of us wanted the Rover to come back in stock so that we could buy more of them for investments. Many of us want more than what we have currently. I'm happy with the amount of Rovers that I have, but I could always have some more.

The exact wording Lego used in their January 2014 Catalog concerning the Rover was "Limited Quantity", so I think they gave us fair warning.

Edit: To be honest, I never really understood why so many thought that the Rover would be coming back. It was OOS for 6 months and we were still getting posts about speculation of its mysterious return. :ermm:

Because most people here are fans of Jiminy Cricket ? :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pguMUFyJ3_U&feature=kp