Ideas #005: 21104 - NASA Mars Science Laboratory Curiosity Rover

Etan

On the ToysnBricks forum there were a couple people who said they phoned in to CS and asked to order one about a week ago and were told that no more would be produced. I have yet to phone myself, and also keep in mind that the reps that work there really don`t have much more of an idea, but take this with whatever grain of salt you wish. Honestly I`m not sure if it will come back, given that it was supposed to be a limited run, much shorter than the Delorean, or so what I understand. Guess we`ll see, but I doubt it will be back.

On the ToysnBricks forum there were a couple people who said they phoned in to CS and asked to order one about a week ago and were told that no more would be produced. I have yet to phone myself, and also keep in mind that the reps that work there really don`t have much more of an idea, but take this with whatever grain of salt you wish. Honestly I`m not sure if it will come back, given that it was supposed to be a limited run, much shorter than the Delorean, or so what I understand. Guess we`ll see, but I doubt it will be back.

But wasn't Minecraft like this too and then bam they made a ton...that is my only fear.

I phoned with Lego Germany tonight cause my order of this morning has not been confirmed yet. I ordered the rover and it was still on stock this morning. I asked the legoperson if it would come back and he said after hesitating and stumbling "yes, I think it will come back". But by the way he answered I was not convinced. But that is my impression. I hope I still will get the one I ordered!

But wasn't Minecraft like this too and then bam they made a ton...that is my only fear.

True, but the Rover does not have a fraction of the demand that Minecraft does. You can`t even compare the two in terms of desirability or market. Obviously I don`t work for Lego, but I do try and watch the market closely, read/educate myself on the specifics and such about the Lego market. Currently I don`t sell very much, and don`t know very much about ebay policies and such, but do have a substantial investment stockpile and knowledge of the market. Minecraft exploded, and the demand was x# of times bigger than the availability. Lego decided to capitalize on that and kept producing product, until now it has because it`s own theme. It`s highly unlikely to be the case with the Rover. Could they make more? Absolutely, but from what I read, it was intended from the start to be a  limited production, with a (presumably) short retail life.

I phoned with Lego Germany tonight cause my order of this morning has not been confirmed yet. I ordered the rover and it was still on stock this morning. I asked the legoperson if it would come back and he said after hesitating and stumbling "yes, I think it will come back". But by the way he answered I was not convinced. But that is my impression. I hope I still will get the one I ordered!

Keep in mind that his job is to assist customers with the product that is currently available for sale, like most (if not all) CS reps. It`s unlikely he is told what is going to be available in the future. Just not the job description, but of course we don`t know for sure.

I agree that the reps don't have much of an idea of the production of a certain set. That being said, they could be completely guessing or they could be right for once. My hope is that the set comes back eventually.

I agree that the reps don't have much of an idea of the production of a certain set. That being said, they could be completely guessing or they could be right for once. My hope is that the set comes back eventually.

Haha, 50/50, so the odds if they are guessing really could go either way. Either it`s coming back or it`s not xD:sarcastic:

This will be interesting to watch, I was going to flip the ones I got but am holding them now just in case. If a "retired" shows up on LEGO Shop at Home these things will go more crazy than the zombies.

I'm with you, I started flipping them and procrastinated posting them. Thank God I did that.

21104 is quite the learning experience for me.  I should've pulled the trigger on a few of these last week but didn't. It Probably was because I'm sitting on a Architecture studio I was hoping to have flipped by now, that whole thing of not wanting to pay full price, and busy flipping other sets like 6166.  Ed Mack's advice on this set is coming back to haunt me and that's fine.  I'll definitely not make the same mistake twice.  I'm still learning and haven't mastered my shorts and longs yet but I'm getting there.

21104 is quite the learning experience for me.  I should've pulled the trigger on a few of these last week but didn't. It Probably was because I'm sitting on a Architecture studio I was hoping to have flipped by now, that whole thing of not wanting to pay full price, and busy flipping other sets like 6166.  Ed Mack's advice on this set is coming back to haunt me and that's fine.  I'll definitely not make the same mistake twice.  I'm still learning and haven't mastered my shorts and longs yet but I'm getting there.

Hind-sight is always 20/20. All we can do is try to learn from our mistakes and help others on the site based on our experiences.

One of the things I like about this set is that up until now it has been online only, and available at LEGO Shop at Home and TRU only. TRU eBay sold 80 and TRU online had this for less then 12 hours once with no limit. I think demand is down for this set because the average person does not know it exists as they do not see it at a B&M store, not even the Lego store has these. Combine that with the quantity limit of 1 at LEGO Shop at Home, possible low production and increased demand once the Ecto comes out make this set a winner.

Just have to hope TRU doesn't keep pumping them out so they linger once retired

Call me $4.99 the first minute and $3.99 each additional minute. Get your parents permission before dialing. Make sure you get the right number or you may reach my adult line and I'll have to talk dirty to you (for an additional charge).

I highly doubt anyone would pay extra to hear your poop jokes :p

• Like 2