Ideas #005: 21104 - NASA Mars Science Laboratory Curiosity Rover

Etan

I don't know if this is reliable but I called LEGO Shop at Home asking what's up. They guy I spoke with said that if a set is backordered for more than a month, they label the item as sold out until they re-stock their inventory. He claims that they will be selling the 21104 for quite some time.

I don't know if this is reliable but I called LEGO Shop at Home asking what's up. They guy I spoke with said that if a set is backordered for more than a month, they label the item as sold out until they re-stock their inventory. He claims that they will be selling the 21104 for quite some time.

I am more inclined to think that to be the case. 

Guest TabbyBoy

I take what Lego employees say with a grain of talcum powder.  I bet he said that to put you off buying it so he can have it at a staff discount before they run out.  Anyway, as long as this set goes in/out of stock it's a good flipper on a 30-day BIN with auto-offer listing.  Just like Minecraft before Xmas.  IMHO, a far better set than Hayabusa and look how well that has done!

I can see

Guest TabbyBoy

Still out of stock until Feb 13 on LEGO Shop at Home UK.  Got my order for 5 in last night - let's see if they actually arrive!

If your order shows "Backordered" you'll get them. Mine are.

This seems very "brick linkable" - any concerns there?  Getting good prices in secondary market.

Is this more rare than the DeLorean?

To put it simply, as of now, yes. Very much yes. The initial quantity, if I recall correctly, was supposed to be around 10,000 copies. The Delorean has had many more produced. We know this because of the much wider availability. Amazon has it, TRU, and several others stores. Also, the buy limit on Lego.com/ca (not in the UK apparently) is 1 per household as opposed to 2 for the Delorean. 1 made not sound like much of a difference, but if 10k people buy 2, then that is 10k more units. So yes it is significant on some level. I`m going to be placing a order later for a Rover among other things. It will be a big money maker, provided the availability stays down.

• Like 1