10241 - Maersk Line Triple-E

comicblast

This might be retiring soon, but the sales rank on amazon is 60k meaning that it's only selling 3 or 4 a week.  The sales rank on the micro minecraft sets before they retired was around 50 meaning they were easily selling 100 sets a day.  I just thought I'd throw that out there for anyone thinking of buying it.

This might be retiring soon, but the sales rank on amazon is 60k meaning that it's only selling 3 or 4 a week.  The sales rank on the micro minecraft sets before they retired was around 50 meaning they were easily selling 100 sets a day.  I just thought I'd throw that out there for anyone thinking of buying it.

If you compare it with sales rank of some other set that is exclusive to LEGO Shop at Home (for example, Slave 1 - 75060 ), it is similar in rank. It does not really matter if it is "retiring soon". Micro-minecrafts had high sales rank long before retirement.

The sales rank and the number of sales from ebay here on brickpicker are the only way to really asses the demand for a set in my opinion.  It's a good indication of how many people will continue to want the set after it's retired.  With that being said it's not full proof.  You still have to guess how many investors stocked up on the set balancing the supply with the demand.  The higher the sales rank the more investors that can get in and you can still expect the set to go up in value.  All that I was saying if it's selling this slow before the set retires you can only expect the sells to slow down from here as the price rises.  Another "slow moving set" and an exclusive was the town hall which had a sales rank varying form 5-20k throughout it's lifetime but not many people stocked up on it so it rose fast anyway.  If a lot of people buy into this set because the lego website says retiring there's little chance that it will gain a ton of value after retirement. (But I could always be 100% wrong and wish I bought some in a few years) :negative:

Maersk items are solid gainers, but nothing special.  The "Retiring Soon" tag is not a good sign.  Neither is the buying limit going from 2 to 5.

Considering that in the European countries that the Maersk ship is labeled as retired and the above information, it looks like the set was a poor seller IMO. There was a definite limited market to begin with, but I would have never guessed that it would get the "Retiring Soon" label.

The CEO of Maersk said in a recent interview that global shipping is going down the toilet, so to speak, due to falling demand.  He didn't specifically call out falling demand for 10241 however.  The ship this set is based on is amazing.  I watched some footage of it on youtube the other day (there are apparently ship watchers, just like there are bird watchers, who film container ships going in and out of ports), and it is truly spectacular.  I judge it to be approximately the side of a floating Star Destroyer, only with less impressive armament.  The lego version though...  Not just a zillion stickers, but many of them span multiple pieces?  Argh!

The CEO of Maersk said in a recent interview that global shipping is going down the toilet, so to speak, due to falling demand.  He didn't specifically call out falling demand for 10241 however.  The ship this set is based on is amazing.  I watched some footage of it on youtube the other day (there are apparently ship watchers, just like there are bird watchers, who film container ships going in and out of ports), and it is truly spectacular.  I judge it to be approximately the side of a floating Star Destroyer, only with less impressive armament.  The lego version though...  Not just a zillion stickers, but many of them span multiple pieces?  Argh!

I'm investing heavily (relative to how I usually buy sets at least) on this one. It is truly a great display piece, even considering the huge number of stickers that need to be applied.

Guest TabbyBoy

How come?

I just think funds are better spent elsewhere. For example, I should've bought certain modulars and would've sold out 2x by now.  I built one of these and the stickers are a nightmare hence, affecting future value I think.  Also, there's no discount and the buy-in for me needs to be a lot less.

Guest TabbyBoy

cause he's sick of making minimum wage. It's all part of his new strategy, read around.................

Correct! Aren't you?  For the same buy-in price, a modular will far outstrip a 3E a year from now.

I just think funds are better spent elsewhere. For example, I should've bought certain modulars and would've sold out 2x by now.  I built one of these and the stickers are a nightmare hence, affecting future value I think.  Also, there's no discount and the buy-in for me needs to be a lot less.

Past performace may not be an accurate indicator of future performance.  I didn't build the EEE but bought one used and I think it is a gorgous looking model.  Much bettery looking than the prior models.  I still think this will do well in EOL with or without stickers.  Will it do as well as a PC, PR or DO, time will tell, but I like to diversify my exclusives and am more than happy making 300% on one set and 100% on another in the same given amount of time.

Correct! Aren't you? For the same buy-in price, a modular will far outstrip a 3E a year from now.

You hope. Personally I like this set. I doubt it will see TH type gains, but I can easily see it out performing GE simply because so many on here don't have a room full of EEE. Therefore I am taking a risk and not selling the few I have for under MSRP.
  • Like 1

You hope. Personally I like this set. I doubt it will see TH type gains, but I can easily see it out performing GE simply because so many on here don't have a room full of EEE. Therefore I am taking a risk and not selling the few I have for under MSRP.

I was really surprised how tempted I was to just open it up when I received the one I recently ordered. Looks so tempting...

Looks like it would be a nice imposing model, I would imagine that would work in its favour post-EOL.

I don't see it outperforming GE. The GE has a much bigger audience to tap into and the EEE is far more likely to be remade or eclipsed by a new Maersk set.

I don't see it outperforming GE. The GE has a much bigger audience to tap into and the EEE is far more likely to be remade or eclipsed by a new Maersk set.

There is probably small niche market for people reenacting the scene with a ship on the street in " the day after tomorrow" movie...

icebreaker.jpg

Edited by No More Monkeys
  • Like 2