10241 - Maersk Line Triple-E

comicblast

Two things I will take into account more when thinking about the right sets for investing:

A) Stickers. They are not only inferior to printed parts but also suspect to become less adhesive (also if not applied) or change shape (shrink) over time - so if you keep sets with many stickers for too long before selling (admittedly it has to be more than 5 years or so), it becomes more dangerous the stickers become "damaged" by themselves just over time.

B) Light Bricks. ToO for example does not only have a Light Brick inside the boy but also a battery. Also talking about years of storing here, of course: he Battery could leak over time inside he box affecting content inside.

In the end I have to admit these are minor points compared to other things you should consider, but they are not irrelevant.

Something I haven't seen in the last few days of conversation is that this set while only available at LEGO Shop at Home has regularly sold for more than retail price on ebay. It may have a ceiling, but it's a gaurunteed money maker.

The real question is what is the ceiling.

According to brickpicker data the set has not been sold for less than retail at any point. Looks like the lowest is $188 or 20% more than retail.

There probably isn't room within the market for everyone to have these stockpiled but there is definitely some demand.

I like to hear not many people are heavily invested on this set. I'm guessing it will be done soon, and IMO it will be very succesful in the secondary market.

I think you are right. Most everyone is not a cheerleader of this set and do not have many,

I have 6 and was trying to decide and thinking I should not get more.

Having so many avoiding a Maersk item makes me rethink this even with the issues.

Definitely agree with others who hold the opinion that this is a niche set. Absolutely, that said the question is what niche? Well, of course it`s in the AFOL market given the category and price tag. That means at least 2 things, 1 it`s over the majority of buyer`s heads, but also keep in mind that the target group is the people with more money. The people who want the Triple E will pay for it, if that means $400, $500, etc. down the round, done. It`s not going to be a issue of price if you find the buyer. You`re going have more difficulty finding a buyer, but when you do the big bucks will be rolling in. 

Backing this I`d say, look at who would buy this. Someone that wants a great display. Corporate office display perhaps? The one I have built is absolutely gorgeous. I have no complaints (ok, maybe less stickers, printing preferred). Those are a buyers with lots of cash, or at the very least willing to spend it. So ya, your market is a niche, but look at custom motor bikes or tailored suits and tell me there is no money to be made. Sure you have to go about it quite a bit differently then you would selling hotdogs or other heavily desired items, but there is lots of dough to cash in on if you go about it the right way. 

Would I buy 50? No, I don`t have unlimited cashflow, 99% of us don`t, I`d diversify before I do that, it`s the smart play, but would I buy at least a few or several? You bet. 

I can`t comment on retirement for this bad boy, it`s only been a year, but my feeling is that it will likely be much shorter than say a Modular or the Tower Bridge, should be a given, again because of the niche market. 

• Like 2

Haven't seen this mentioned in this thread, but there's a couple of PDFs running around with alternate stickers for this set.  The pics I've seen look great; the variety in the shipping containers is an improvement of the singular "Maersk" stickers of the original.  Not a huge deal, just an FYI for anyone looking at building this set.  I've got a pdf file with these alternate container labels, if there's an easy way to post it here.

Edit: attached the alts as a JPEG.  Should scale to the correct resolution when printed.

post-48332-0-79596200-1422856084_thumb.j

Edited by diablo2112