10241 - Maersk Line Triple-E

comicblast

I hesitated on getting more of this because of the previous Maersk ship's performance. This one looks better and is bigger, but then again they may sell another ship soon.

The way it goes with licensing is that they're going to milk the cow to the max while they have it.

Just like the Technic Mercedes Benzes.

Just my two cents.

Its BP info has it at just around 2x MSRP - not too shabby (the 2010 model)

I think the seemingly perpetual S&**** limits plus the exclusivity (no other retailers carrying this that I know of in Can & US) plus the larger size gives it a leg up on the previous iteration. You're probably right that there will be another model at some point, but somewhere around double MSRP seems very reasonable in the future. 

Also, look at the current Ebay selling price whilst the set is widely available. Many "standard" set trade BNIB anywhere from 30-50% below RRP yet do OK when EOL comes.

Yes sets like this, VW Camper, Mini Cooper at trading at or above RRP for no apparent logical reason. Even when LEGO Shop at Home has plenty of stock. I always consider this to be a good indicator of EOL performance. After all, the only way for these is up.

• Like 2

The 3rd party price on Maersk 10155 has been down by 40% since July 2013.

I expect this will do the same when (and if) the new ship is released.

Either way, the two somewhat similar ships will compete for a tiny market (when you compare with that of Star Wars UCS).

IMO even 10240 Xwing (with its many "unkowns") will be better than this one.

Of course I don't know for sure, that's why I bought a couple during double vip points just so I won't get carried away by the hoard, and won't be sorry if I'm wrong.

By the way, when I was at the Lego store in the busy Las Vegas strip at the busiest time of the year (Christmas), this was the only $100+ set that I saw a bunch of on the shelves. Not a single modular, one Sandcrawler, a couple of Xwings, no TBs, no SOHs, no DS, no VW campers,... but two rows of EEEs.

Edited by legone

The 3rd party price on Maersk 10155 has been down by 40% since July 2013.

I expect this will do the same when (and if) the new ship is released.

Either way, the two somewhat similar ships will compete for a tiny market (when you compare with that of Star Wars UCS).

IMO even 10240 Xwing (with its many "unkowns") will be better than this one.

Of course I don't know for sure, that's why I bought a couple during double vip points just so I won't get carried away by the hoard, and won't be sorry if I'm wrong.

By the way, when I was at the Lego store in the busy Las Vegas strip at the busiest time of the year (Christmas), this was the only $100+ set that I saw a bunch of on the shelves. Not a single modular, one Sandcrawler, a couple of Xwings, no TBs, no SOHs, no DS, no VW campers,... but two rows of EEEs.

Agreed definitely more of a niche market, but the short run and limited availability should keep market supply relatively low. I wonder how many folks like Emazers actually have 50+ of these, or if a lot of investors have less than five in their portfolio...

• Like 1

I said above that we shouldn't compare apples to oranges for number of reasons, but it seems quite fashionable. The Maersk line isn't SW or whatever so we can't judge them by the same standards...

One of the problems of the old ship is the design. The new 3E by Lego looks much nicer in every aspect, so that's something to consider. And it won't make any sense to create another new ship unless Maersk builds one. Probably next thing will be another train or smth else.

Guys, I'm not saying the SW fans are the same people buying EEEs. All I'm saying is the pool of those EEE buyers is much, much smaller than SW UCSs.

For that tiny pool, the EEE is competing with 10155 (I agree EEE has some advantages but also keep in mind that the supply size- ie. US, THE HOARD, is much bigger than we were 3 years ago too).

And both of them will probably compete against a sparkling new sealed Maersk ship from Lego a few years down the road, the will be sold for anywhere between $100 and $200.

Another Maersk ship from Lego will be golden, not competition!  Frankly, this set is AFOL all the way.  And AFOL are much more likely to be completists.  I say, bring on another half-dozen Maersk ships, trains, and other branded goods!  It will only increase the value of the early models (see, CC, MS, and GC in the modulars as an example).

• Like 1

Agreed definitely more of a niche market, but the short run and limited availability should keep market supply relatively low. I wonder how many folks like Emazers actually have 50+ of these, or if a lot of investors have less than five in their portfolio...

I agree with this.  Looking back at past Maersk sets, none have exploded in growth.  They are solid sets.  Maybe above average.  The Triple EEE is the best of the bunch and will probably outperform the earlier versions, but I would be careful about buying 50 of these.

• Like 2

I say, bring on another half-dozen Maersk ships, trains, and other branded goods! It will only increase the value of the early models (see, CC, MS, and GC in the modulars as an example).

Many want a street

But few want a fleet

(Especially a fleet of green container ships).

• Like 3

is there a way to get discount now on "hard to find" lego sets? like we have seen no more discounts offered on amazon..

Buy the set from Lego when they give away promos with certain purchases. That's one of the best ways to get some sort of discount on exclusive Lego sets.

• Like 1

I agree with this.  Looking back at past Maersk sets, none have exploded in growth.  They are solid sets.  Maybe above average.  The Triple EEE is the best of the bunch and will probably outperform the earlier versions, but I would be careful about buying 50 of these.

[/quote

Ed you are right unless you have unlimited money I would not be buying tons of these, I have 15 and thats all I am Buying. Ed

This ship has great appeal to lego city collectors. It makes for a realistic harbour scene.

It will be a long long while before any shipping firm makes anything significantly larger than triple e, as this class of super container ships has reached the limit of several key infrastructure around the world.

• Like 1

This ship has great appeal to lego city collectors. It makes for a realistic harbour scene.

It will be a long long while before any shipping firm makes anything significantly larger than triple e, as this class of super container ships has reached the limit of several key infrastructure around the world.

The Triple-E has already been surpassed for size:

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-30696685

• Like 1

The Triple-E has already been surpassed for size:

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-30696685

Yep although in the article it does mention that container ships are about maxed in size until ports can build larger infrastructure. As is the tripple E and any other 18,000+ unit cargo ship can really only operate between a limited # of ports from asia to europe.