10241 - Maersk Line Triple-E

comicblast

Regardless, it looks cool, I wanted one, so I have a couple.  It will do ok, completists will want it, but don't expect an easy double.  I actually think reviews and the literal sticker shock may have hurt this one.

Need the obligatory: "if these do not sell, at least I have a fleet of Maersk ships and will be very proficient at placing stickers on bricks." :D

• Like 1

It will do ok, completists will want it, but don't expect an easy double.

That's why I've backed off investing in more than the two I already have.  I think ToO and Red 5 will perform better in the near term of 1-2 years so I've decided to put my money there instead.

It will get its nice 80-100 pop then pull a HE. Moved a decent amount a few months ago at 190 while it was in stock at LEGO so a quick 230-250 once gone and going into xmas should be easy. Unfortunately none out there and was always hard to stockpile

Edited by ravenb99
edit

I grabbed 2 over the phone thanks OP. To me small risk for a possible medium reward. As far as I know in the USA this set was a 100% Lego store/LEGO Shop at Home exclusive with very limited stock at the former. Perhaps also at Legoland and DC but not TRU. 

I still think this set needs two things. First, a cross shipping of printed bricks for blank. Something similar to what the Ecto 1 had for the mini fig arms. I am sure we could put together a bulk buy if someone has the technology, cue 6 Million Dollar Man intro clip Darth Raichu ;)  

Second, some publicity as I think due to its limited distribution it is an under the radar set with the general public, not us. Something like a Movie where the ship is hijacked by Somali pirates throw in Tom Hanks as the Captain and this set can't go wrong, oh wait, cue I am the captain now clip Darth Riachu ;)  

Edited by Pseudoty

Second, some publicity as I think due to its limited distribution it is an under the radar set with the general public, not us. Something like a Movie where the ship is hijacked by Somali pirates throw in Tom Hanks as the Captain and this set can't go wrong, oh wait, cue I am the captain now clip Darth Riachu ;)  

Combo this set with the Brick Bounty ? :P

Too busy to add clips today :P

I picked up 3 of these back when they got slapped with "retiring soon".  I expect at least a 24 month hold for any kind of decent return here.  Why I keep trying to find sleeper sets is beyond me.  Honestly, I think the easiest strategy in this game is the simplest: go with the modulars, a few other exclusives from the Advanced Creator (TB, T1),  and any UCS set near EOL.  It's rare that any other set beats the collective returns of the sets in those categories.  

im glad everyone has next to none so the price quickly goes north on this one after EOL. i used to flip these early on for 50-70% above sticker in the US. i havent lost money on maersk branded merch yet and hoard a boatload. granted about two thirds will go oversees. wondering what emazers thinks of this set, after all its an exclusive.

Edited by jerryherb
  • Like 1

im glad everyone has next to none so the price quickly goes north on this one after EOL. i used to flip these early on for 50-70% above sticker in the US. i havent lost money on maersk branded merch yet and hoard a boatload. granted about two thirds will go oversees. wondering what emazers thinks of this set, after all its an exclusive.

You're probably right. I still have one of the two I bought .The other one made its way from the USA to Australia some months ago for reasonable profit... I am really wondering if I should buy more.

(Funnily enough, I was going to keep one for later and build the other for myself but I ended up being put off by the fact the containers weren't individual builds but brick-built sections with stickers on them).

• 3 weeks later...

I was going through my inventory and saw this set and didn't hear much about it during retirement as opposed to the ruckus about Red 5 and others.  Surprised at how quietly it sailed into the sunset.  Some nice early gains, though it's going to be a hold for at least a year or two.

Once the Horde decides something is "dead in the water" (oh God... my pun-happy 15-year-old daughter is getting to me), it does go gently into that good night. I have a handful of these, no more, but they are beautiful on display.

Once the Horde decides something is "dead in the water" (oh God... my pun-happy 15-year-old daughter is getting to me), it does go gently into that good night. I have a handful of these, no more, but they are beautiful on display.

I think the Horde will be 'missing the boat' on this one!

• Like 3

They already remade it twice. 1650 & 10155 were the first 2.

See, that is an interesting one. Technically, it is not a remake of the same vessel. This latest is of the EEE class, up until a few years ago they were the largest container ships in the world. That alone made me want to buy two, one to build and one to sell (although I'll probably sell my unopened copy after all). The prior LEGO sets were based on on smaller vessels. On the other hand, maybe a Maersk container ship is just a Maersk container ship for some people?

• Like 1

See, that is an interesting one. Technically, it is not a remake of the same vessel. This latest is of the EEE class, up until a few years ago they were the largest container ships in the world. That alone made me want to buy two, one to build and one to sell (although I'll probably sell my unopened copy after all). The prior LEGO sets were based on on smaller vessels. On the other hand, maybe a Maersk container ship is just a Maersk container ship for some people?

Just a matter of preference of which ones look the best. Same argument for the numerous pirate ships that have come and gone outside of the Pirates of the Caribbean line.