75097 - Star Wars Advent Calendar 2015

fuzzy_bricks

17 minutes ago, 2x4 said:

At LEGO B&M today store associates were literally carrying out 4-5 at a time and weren't making it to the shelves. People pillaged them as they walked by. :)

yeah but why is that?

because this exact calendar is so great or because of the Star Wars hype right now? I'd say it's because of the second.

I'm puzzled by the sellers (including some of our fellow BPers) who do multiple listings of the set with $1 or even $.01 increments on eBay, rather than doing a single listing with multiple quantities.  I'm not aware of any current free listing promotion, but even with that, I'm curious about the logic.  When the profit margin is good, I can see where the $.30 listing fee isn't much of a bother, but it adds up and I still don't see why you'd go through the effort.  I've questioned whether listing with "more than 10 available" effects the velocity of sales and price through the combination of potential buyers thinking that they have plenty of time to buy and sellers feeling the pressure to undercut, but the strategy of one seller doing $55 + $5 S&H for one listing, and $56 + $4.50 S&H for the next listing looks weird to me (or listings of $17.95, $17.97, and $17.98 from the same seller; or what appears to be the same seller with two slightly different usernames, such as ebaysellerinarizona/arizonaebayseller, with listings that pop up right next to each other). For $39+ BIN listings on eBay, I've moved from 84th on the list, to somewhere on Page 3, but I'm having a lot of deja vu as I scroll through the list of sellers.  Maybe I'm the only one who would care to be enlightened about this.

• Like 1

Those are some great questions. You may want to post that to a new thread or some other existing selling thread, because it applies to all selling.

I'd love to hear some answers to this.

I don't do that myself, but in general, I tend to only have a quantity of one up in my auctions. After that first auction, when you reset the quantity back to one, you get that "Last One Available" tag, which, to me, puts on a sense of urgency to a buyer. Better get it now because this could be it.

The flip side, as someone who offers free shipping - you can incur more costs and miss out on some sales. The other day I sold a minifig and sent it out. Then I updated my listing to show my last two minis. Same buyer bought those last two. I could have saved on shopping and sold all three at once had I been a little smarter.