10179 - UCS: Millennium Falcon

Ed Mack

Allow me some latitude to beat this dead horse...

I try to be thoughtful when I post. I don't like to throw things out there without being able to show the basis for my thinking. Nothing in the below pictures is ground breaking evidence. I just want to show that I do have basis for my concerns that lead to the OP.

~MyBitmap.jpg

Close.jpg

• Like 1

Try clicking "Show Automatic Bids." Not saying that shill bidding doesn't exist on eBay, but when you only look at the manual bids, you are ignoring a vital feature of bidding on eBay.

I completely agree with you. I wrote an eBay guide a while back, I am sure everyone will not agree with my process but its what I have used over the years to get almost all of my sets aftermarket, in many cases well below the low end of the market value...

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Lego-Star-Wars-UCS-How-to-avoid-scam-auctions-/10000000178958635/g.html

I would like to add that I am not trying to stir up some huge debate over this. I was simply expressing my concerns about the future of the set, how I was stupid for passing on it early on, and that I have reservations about paying more than 2k for it. I felt that my opinion would be important to the investors because I am your target market, an AFOL with disposable income...

People have been expressing their concerns about the 10179 for years. When it hit $1000, people said it would never reach $2000. When it hit $2000, it would never hit $3000 and so on. The 10179 is a STAR WARS 30th Anniversary set, so it cannot be "remade" exactly. Wealthy LEGO fans will want the new one and the old one. The growth of the set will plateau at some point. Will it be $5000 or $10000 is the question.

• Like 2

You guys keep debating while I keep buying 10179 low, and selling high. 

Where are you buying them low and what's low prices are you getting them at? I'm just curious.

I had a sealed one and sold it for $3200 about a year ago. I should've hung onto it, but I needed money to buy other stuff. HH, TH, etc.

• 4 weeks later...

Anybody who is, or has brick linked one of these might be interested in this. Not seen it before. (there is an english translation on listing)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/60-x-Lego-Lever-antenna-4592c02-modificada-para-Millennium-Falcon-10179-/151826551602?hash=item2359915332

This might also see an effect on the price of the original levers, if they take off on the secondary market

Dear Bricklovers

I have just missed out on an eBay auction on the Lego Millennium Falcon, 10179. 

I am sure this has been discussed but I am new to this site. What is the general opinion. Is Lego reissuing the set or are they releasing a new mega set?

The market price now for the 10179 is extortionate and perhaps goes against everything that lego builders stand for, I would love some thoughts on this.

Thanks

Dear Bricklovers

I have just missed out on an eBay auction on the Lego Millennium Falcon, 10179. 

I am sure this has been discussed but I am new to this site. What is the general opinion. Is Lego reissuing the set or are they releasing a new mega set?

The market price now for the 10179 is extortionate and perhaps goes against everything that lego builders stand for, I would love some thoughts on this.

Thanks

Well with the new re-releases of some sets (UCS SETS!) and the MF being highly popular I'd guess that they'll bring out another UCS version sooner or later.

If they do they'll need to pimp it up a little so maybe the design will be even better and include a nice interior...

As for me I'm not willing to pay that much money for something that might get a substitute version soon.

Since they've just brought out the new MF in their regular SW line I'd say that we won't see an UCS next year. But with the new movies I could imagine that they bring out something in the next 3 years.

But of course you just never can be sure...

http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/Ultimate_Collector's_Series

Until now we have seen a remake of following: X-Wing and Sandcrawler.

While the X-Wing was one of the first UCS, the Sandcrawler just appeared 5 years later with many UCS in between (and one other from 2000).

Worth to mention (just my opinion): TIE Interceptor (2000), Rebel Blockade Runner (2001), Imperial Star Destroyer (2002), Death Star II (2005) (up to you if you count the current DS as a remake).

As for the other sets I didn't mention I personally wouldn't want another UCS remake ;-) (just counting all the not mentioned sets before 2006!).

So it is safe to say that there is no obvious order in which LEGO is producing the remakes. With new movies coming up and a whole new franchise system involved thanks to Disney there'll be plenty of possibilities for designers to create awesome new sets. Huge playsets might be more profitable for LEGO though: Sandcrawler remake! Ewok Village!

But as we can see they still bring out non playsets like the TIE-Fighter or Slave I. (Even though these include nice playfeatures! At least Slave I).

The next UCS is rumoured to be a battle of hoth set. If this is confirmed (maybe already in a couple of days/weeks) then this would leave us with at least another UCS for next year. This could be a remake from anything of that UCS list. But I doubt that they will remake highly unpopular sets. Probably sticking to the OT and the new movies will be the best move for LEGO as with Star Wars Rebels and the new movies Episode I-III won't be as present as they might have been with Clone Wars going on. (And honestly I'm suprised by the many Episode I-III sets included in the new wave... but maybe that has been the last wave of Ep I-III sets for a long time?)

all in all I'd say:

the suspense continues

Edited by Locutus001

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks

I just scored two of these at a ridiculous price. Tricky thing is that I have to fly to another city to collect them. I'm just wondering what size the box is? Will it fit into the boxes that take two of the thinner exclusive size sets like petshop/ToO?

Maybe some can confirm these are correct, I got these measurements from brickowl. 64.4cm x 47.6cm x 19.7cm.

http://www.brickowl.com/catalog/lego-ultimate-collector-s-millennium-falcon-set-10179-packaging

Edited by TheGallows
add
  • Like 1

I was trying to figure out why this Shop Goodwill auction was going for $301.  Then I saw what was in it.

Unfortunately, I found it with 19 seconds remaining, so I never got the chance to bid.

Edit to add:  As of tonight, there are 2 copies of the manual on Bricklink for $599 each.  One up for auction on eBay with 1 day left, at $350 right now.

Edited by Alpinemaps

I was trying to figure out why this Shop Goodwill auction was going for $301.  Then I saw what was in it.

Unfortunately, I found it with 19 seconds remaining, so I never got the chance to bid.

Edit to add:  As of tonight, there are 2 copies of the manual on Bricklink for $599 each.  One up for auction on eBay with 1 day left, at $350 right now.

I meant to look it up to see if they were all spiral bound.

I picked up a bargain from a toy collector who was ready to get out of his investment and too lazy to look for the right buyers. I paid about $6 000.00 for:

1x 10179 - non first edition, box 7/10, seals still intact

1x 10179 - non first edition, box 7/10, seals broken to confirm contents

1x 10196 - box 6/10, seals still intact

1x 10189 - box 6/10, seals still intact

It's going to be difficult to move these in the South African market, but I've got plenty of space for a good margin!

• Like 4

great purchase.  please post pics when you can.

I picked up a bargain from a toy collector who was ready to get out of his investment and too lazy to look for the right buyers. I paid about $6 000.00 for:

It's going to be difficult to move these in the South African market, but I've got plenty of space for a good margin!

You put us noobs to shame there. Now sell em quick before big bad TLG makes the next version!