10179 - UCS: Millennium Falcon

Ed Mack

• 4 weeks later...

I found a source of MISB sets of 10179. I can even order 10 if I wanted. Is this myth or could it be true?

Well, whoever is selling, they would be losing lots of money... Is it a physical place? If online, maybe place test order, but using some method of payment where you can reverse payment if they never ship. Check what else they sell. If they also sell Taj Mahals or 10030s for MSRP, I would really recommend researching into who exactly they are

Well, whoever is selling, they would be losing lots of money... Is it a physical place? If online, maybe place test order, but using some method of payment where you can reverse payment if they never ship. Check what else they sell. If they also sell Taj Mahals or 10030s for MSRP, I would really recommend researching into who exactly they are

Most seem to be UK based wholesale companies for Legos in General. The rates seem dependent on the number of items ordered. I will check if they are known in chambers of commerce :)

So here is my dilemma. A trusted guy I've bought some SW UCS sets from in the past from CL wants to unload his 10179 Falcons. He has two. One that is BL'd together with the usual substitute parts. The second Falcon though, is the Grail. Original, First Edition, complete, box, instructions, mini-figs, certificate of authenticity (unopened), sticker sheet, etc. Box is worn though but the rest is mint. Together one time, and disassembled. What would you guys offer on either. I want the 1st edition but may have to settle for the BL'd set with no box, instructions or sticker. The lady will kill me either way but..... He's giving me first shot before he lists them. Here's the pics he sent of the Grail.

image8_zpsc8c041d3.jpg

image7_zpsdf5f54b8.jpg

image6_zpsb1b30065.jpg

image5_zps1c45d775.jpg

image4_zpsf9bdf694.jpg

image3_zpsa16b346d.jpg

image2_zps67b80e71.jpg

image1_zps3d04e434.jpg

So here is my dilemma. A trusted guy I've bought some SW UCS sets from in the past from CL wants to unload his 10179 Falcons. He has two. One that is BL'd together with the usual substitute parts. The second Falcon though, is the Grail. Original, First Edition, complete, box, instructions, mini-figs, certificate of authenticity (unopened), sticker sheet, etc. Box is worn though but the rest is mint. Together one time, and disassembled. What would you guys offer on either. I want the 1st edition but may have to settle for the BL'd set with no box, instructions or sticker. The lady will kill me either way but..... He's giving me first shot before he lists them. Here's the pics he sent of the Grail.

I was in nearly the same spot as you. Buy a legit used one or bricklink it. I then thought to myself, if I'm spending all this cash and want to maintain my investment....screw it, I'm going all in. While I didn't get a first edition, I did get loose one with an opened box and excellent conditioned manual. I think you will ultimately have regrets if buying a bricklinked one with substitute (aka wrong) elements. To me, the 2 black masts, unprinted radar dish, etc... just look incomplete.

I wouldn't like to pay more than $1,600 but that's me. I assume he'll want closer to $2k since it's includes a 1st edition cert and box. The cert itself sells for $150-$225. The box is another $100 or so in that shape. Unused sticker sheets fetch $175-250 easily,

Since this sounds more like a collection item for you (instead of an investment), be prepared to splurge more than usual. In the grand scheme of things, what is a couple of hundred if it makes you happy?

Here is the one I purchased earlier this yr.

http://community.brickpicker.com/topic/8810-building-the-10179-ucs-millennium-falcon/

• Like 1

With all the reproduction stickers out there now, I think it is better to get a complete set from a reputable source.  Unless you are a seasoned falcon builder and have seen multiple ones in person in can be difficult to tell if all the pieces are there, even on a completely built ebay auction, you gonna count all those gray levers.  I had a sealed pair of them I bought years ago but still had to splurge and buy one of the first editions, and yes I justified it by saying to myself and the head of the finance department that I would sell it sometime later, but we all know that's not gonna happen.  Get yourself a nice acrylic display case so you don't' have to keep dusting and enjoy whatever you decide.

• Like 2

Also, I assume you can meet this guy in-person since it's CL.

if so, I would politely stress that you buying the buy saves him on fees and time (e.g. shipping hassles, unhappy eBay buyers, finding a buyer, etc...). Basically, it's an easy sell.

All what I typed above should save you money in addition to being a repeat customer of his.

Well, I started by offering $1650 and he got back to me saying he had offers over $3000. I told him to take one of those offers because the best I could do was $2000. Damn

wow, $3k?  makes me want to sell my non-1st edition boxed set. heck, i'll even throw in a legit 1st edition cert (# 3,xxx something)

wise advice. 

luckily, my set was missing only a handful of common elements when i bought it. element prices quickly add up and that's before you realize multiple sellers are needed even for something only like 5 elements.

With all the reproduction stickers out there now, I think it is better to get a complete set from a reputable source.  Unless you are a seasoned falcon builder and have seen multiple ones in person in can be difficult to tell if all the pieces are there, even on a completely built ebay auction, you gonna count all those gray levers.  I had a sealed pair of them I bought years ago but still had to splurge and buy one of the first editions, and yes I justified it by saying to myself and the head of the finance department that I would sell it sometime later, but we all know that's not gonna happen.  Get yourself a nice acrylic display case so you don't' have to keep dusting and enjoy whatever you decide.