10179 - UCS: Millennium Falcon

Ed Mack

Requested a cancellation, from the seller? they'll give all sorts of reasons for delays in refunding, might want to do a paypal reversal directly.

How do I get a paypal reversal applied or start it?

lol.... looking at picture two.... the cockpit is badly photoshopped out. (just plain missing)

I like how you invest.  No risk no reward 

risk high - reward zero (potentially losing your money)

one time I bought a case of cards for possibly $600+  and paypal denied my refund and I had to go the charge back route via my credit card. (As another caution always use your credit card for transactions and not your debit or bank account in paypal)

On these pictures you can clearly see the cropping from Photoshop :)

I sold a used Falcon a little more than a year ago with 0 feedback on Bricklink from Hungary to Ireland. I could have scammed the guy easily if wanted to. He was lucky that I have  a spine and intend to keep it.

Like others have said it's definitely a scam.  The picture of the MF is clearly a bricklinked picture.  The black levers, the plain radar dish, etc.  The 3rd picture makes no sense to me.  Unless the picture is supposed to suggest you are getting 2 for the price of 1!!! SCORE!  jk.  But yeah, if it was complete, there wouldn't be those inconsistencies.

I worry so much about being scammed when it comes to high priced items like that.  I try my best to find a legitimate listing.  One with a real photo, someone with an established rating history, etc.  I don't care how good of a deal is on something like that, but if it's a choice to save a couple hundred for a semi-fishy listing, or a true listing, I'll spend the extra money and save the hassle of dealing with paypal/ebay/seller, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I contact the seller today to see if he has sell the Falcon ,same  bullshit about the dead brother ,and he offer me the taj Mahal and the Falcon for 2800$ free shipping ,I reply ok contact me on Facebook and send me a picture of the 2 boxes side by side ,no reply yet !!

• 3 weeks later...

This is not another ***** session on the outrageous prices on the 10179 and I am going to keep this as short as possible. I have sat on the sidelines and watched the 10179 go up in price since it went off retail. I say go up in price because I do not believe that the value is truly there. Trust me when I say that I hold nothing against those of you that benefit from the price - GOOD FOR YOU!!! So why am I still waiting when I have the funds and I obviously love SW ucs... Well the short answer is that I am waiting to see if TLG releases another version or re-issues the 10179. I am hedging my bets that if this happens the market will correct and this set will come down in price to a more sustainable level (IMO that's around $1200). So that's the short and sweet of it, in case anyone wanted to know why I and maybe others are holding off on buying...

This is not another ***** session on the outrageous prices on the 10179 and I am going to keep this as short as possible. I have sat on the sidelines and watched the 10179 go up in price since it went off retail. I say go up in price because I do not believe that the value is truly there. Trust me when I say that I hold nothing against those of you that benefit from the price - GOOD FOR YOU!!! So why am I still waiting when I have the funds and I obviously love SW ucs... Well the short answer is that I am waiting to see if TLG releases another version or re-issues the 10179. I am hedging my bets that if this happens the market will correct and this set will come down in price to a more sustainable level (IMO that's around $1200). So that's the short and sweet of it, in case anyone wanted to know why I and maybe others are holding off on buying...

The price of an item like this is very speculative.  The more it goes up the more speculative it gets.  So you have two kinds of sellers: (1) the "holders" who want top dollar for it and are willing to be patient, and (2) the liquidators who will take what is "fair" minus about 10-20% depending on how badly they need the money.  At this point, just about nobody who owns one of these is naive to its value, so there's no third category (except the once-in-a-decade estate sale or something that actually turns out to be legit).

The first category may be the ones trying to set the price, but the second category is a more accurate reflection of what people are really willing to accept to part with one.

There are always going to be the "low" end sales.  I doubt those prices will go up much at all over the next few years.  So I don't think you lose anything by waiting.  But you'll be giving birth to kittens if you drop $3,000 on this and it gets re-released (ala Toy Shop) in the next couple of years.

Edited by mfortunek

Care to deliberate how you come up with a value of around $1200 ???

quite simple it's supply and demand. There is a lot more demand than there are sets. So if you want to this set you'll have to show you want it more than the next guy by paying. 10179 has a lot of hype because it's the 2nd largest and largest sw set while being the famous millennium falcon. 

quite simple it's supply and demand. There is a lot more demand than there are sets. So if you want to this set you'll have to show you want it more than the next guy by paying. 10179 has a lot of hype because it's the 2nd largest and largest sw set while being the famous millennium falcon. 

all that is correct and does nothing to answer the question of how one comes up with a value of around $1200 when its selling on ebay and amazon for multiples of that number?

$1200 is 2.4x MSRP - if you sold ANY set 5 years post EOL and you only got 2.4 x MSRP that investment sucked.

there are thousands of rich Silicon Valley AFOL for whom dropping 3K on a LEGO set is nothing.  that's who you are competing with.

Edited by cladner
  • Like 1

Can the real OP please stand up?

• Like 3

The person did mention that they were counting on a remake in order for said correction to take place. A few months ago that would have been laughed at but after recent developments it can no longer be discounted.

While it´s true that redoing an exact same size and scale model is still somewhat unlikely, they could be planning something for 3k pieces 400 USD along the lines of SSD and DS.

Whether that would take enough shine off the 10179 is hard to say - you could even imagine some people buying both, especially if the new oe is the FA iteration.

Can the real OP please stand up?

I work offshore oil and gas and sometimes our sat comms go down... I based the $1200 on or around 2.5 times if and only if TLG did a complete re-release of the set... But I still cant see myself ever paying north of 2k for this set. 3D printing has gotten really close to the mast parts (there's a current eBay listing that has a set of two for $99), Gray levers are not rare and LBG levers could be re-issued, and as soon as someone starts screen printing a radar dish I will be making some BL orders... Nobody can deny the fact that this set is an aftermarket juggernaut, I simply have reservations about putting so much money at risk. I really have no "sour grape" issues towards the market on this set. I do have a personal regret for passing on it when it was below 1k... Its a cautionary tale...lol 

Edited by neoconagenda

You know, the more I think about it, the more it could make sense for Lego to re-release it.  Although, I think they would update an older set first. *cough*ISD*cough*

I do believe the price on this set is stupid astronomical, and I bricklinked it a while ago for a reasonable price, all original, but there is no way I do that now.

I've seen many arguments saying this set would be way more than $500 for a 5100 piece set, and I don't really agree with that honestly.  Lego on the larger sets can still manage a good average of $.10 a piece.  So although it won't be the exact same thing, if they released a $500 MF it surely could be very close to a 5000 piece set. Granted that a lot of sets have gone up in price, but I just don't understand how someone could think that it would be such a significantly smaller set for a similar price.

On that note, the idea that the older MF will significantly drop is just balderdash.  Yes there will be a market correction, especially if they release at least a $400/4000ish piece MF.  But it won't be something as significant as $1200 as the OP suggests.  I could expect to see around a $1000 drop in overall price, because a good chunk of the people that were saving etc for the original UCS, will go out and buy one for retail.  That's not always the case, but it will happen.  Also, another factor in the price dropping but still remaining high is scarcity as well.  I highly, highly, highly doubt there is just a huge horde of people with these stashed away.  That alone will help keep the prices from completely bottoming out. 

• Like 1

I would like to add that I am not trying to stir up some huge debate over this. I was simply expressing my concerns about the future of the set, how I was stupid for passing on it early on, and that I have reservations about paying more than 2k for it. I felt that my opinion would be important to the investors because I am your target market, an AFOL with disposable income...

Edited by neoconagenda
  • Like 1