10179 - UCS: Millennium Falcon

Ed Mack

Sell it and buy a quality used one to build. The set is easily worth 2500 EURO. If it is a First Edition, even more than that. You can easily clear 1000 EURO after taxes and commissions IMO. It is found money. I have a few myself, but I am holding onto mine. It's a personal choice, but maybe not a wise one.

Ditto. Great advice.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would let you people know there are again a few scammers on ebay selling MFs. They are very clever and know the product inside out. For me, I lost out on the auction! So I contacted the buyer and he said the sale didn't go through cos winner bidder was overseas. So we proceeded through paypal. No alarm bells ringing so far. All official invoicing through paypal and I paid. We agreed he would ship on a Friday but on that Friday I received a refund through paypal - again all official through the site. I emailed him! And he said he had a family emergeny and refunded me because he couldn't ship the item but will ship as soon as he could.

3 days passed and the refund failed. I contacted paypal and they said it failed as he didn't have the funds, so now it's been escalated into a case. I'm protected, but wanted you all to be aware of such scams. He goes by the name crownparke and calls himself dale.

Thanks all

That's tough. I actually purchased a MF through eBay and was a bit hesitant doing so, but luckily for me it worked out good. An earlier deal was pretty shady so I backed out of that one. Its getting pretty hard to tell the legit ones from the scammers these days.

It's getting more difficult to trust people.  Any person can open a LEGO seal and replace the contents with other similar types of sets.  At first glance, would most people know the difference between the sealed bags of a 10179 and a couple of 7965 MF sets mixed together?  Probably not.  The only people that really know what they have are the ones that bought directly from a retailer like LEGO S@H or Amazon years ago.  

• 1 month later...

Wow, that's a lot of $$$. If it's an investment, how much are you looking to get for it once you sell it? I don't know if this set has peaked, but since it's over $3,000 usd I don't know if it'll go any higher. Now if you were buying it for $1,000 or $1,500 then I would say go for it. If you buy it now you might be buying it at its most expensive, therefore you might break even or lose money on it.

I say no.

Reason 1: this set may have reached it's peak. Even if it hasn't, it will certainly see slow growth rather than the 60% rise we often see within 1 or 2 years after retirement of popular sets. There are better opportunities out there.

Reason 2: Don't know the likelihood of this, but some people have been speculating that Lego will be bringing out a new big Millenium Falcon when the new Star Wars film comes out. Could greatly hurt the value of the 10179 if it is similar in size.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Brickpicker

It is still growing.  Perhaps at around 10-15% per annum.  Combined with the possibility of the new SW movies pushing demand up, especially if the MF is in them.  Tampered by the possibility of a new large MF set release though doubtful that will ever be as comprehensive as the 10179.  

I don't see much downside.  Though I do think that amount of capital could be better invested elsewhere at present.  If you were getting it cheaper then perhaps.  But that price seems to be on the high side of recent average sales.

For investment, no. The set can not indefinetely raise in value as it has until now. At a certain moment the price will stagnate and the ROI would be many times lower if you invest it in other more current sets.

If you are a star wars fan avant la lettre, then yes, buy it, build it, display it and dust it off every month.

• 4 weeks later...

I saw that too... It's definitely fugly and I can't believe the bidding is over $200. I guess it's worth it in parts alone, but I'd never put that out for display let alone try to build it from a hundred bags of randomly colored parts.

I could see some artistic value IF there was at least some symmetry in the color selection

Agreed... like the black one that always seems to be for sale: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Lego-Star-Wars-Ultimate-Millennium-Falcon-10179-Custom-BLACK-New-100-IN-STOCK-/161407489238?pt=Building_Toys_US&hash=item2594a2d4d6

A tad overpriced at $1500 but at least the colors are consistent and it looks good.

Agreed... like the black one that always seems to be for sale: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Lego-Star-Wars-Ultimate-Millennium-Falcon-10179-Custom-BLACK-New-100-IN-STOCK-/161407489238?pt=Building_Toys_US&hash=item2594a2d4d6

A tad overpriced at $1500 but at least the colors are consistent and it looks good.

If someone manages to recreate one using Friends theme colors, that would be hilarious...