10179 - UCS: Millennium Falcon

Ed Mack

• 4 weeks later...

So what do you think the possibility that Lego either re-releases or redesigns a new MF close to the UCS version in 2014/2015?

With the re-release of the X-wing, Lego has definitely opened the door up.

Very, very high IMO. It probably won't be as massive as the original one, but at least it will give a chance to people like me to get a UCS Falcon!!

So what do you think the possibility that Lego either re-releases or redesigns a new MF close to the UCS version in 2014/2015?

With the re-release of the X-wing, Lego has definitely opened the door up.

There is always a chance, but why not offer fans some new UCS ships instead of retreads? There are so many more options.

In my opinion, the facts are:

- TLC are recycling some sets, specially SW - and also UCS is not a tabu

- TLC prefer redesign instead of copying same set - look at standard sized falcons, x-wings, sopwith camel, and also new UCS x-wing (there are some exception, for example western setd, which were the same, as i think)

- re-edition is just for iconic sets, as xwing, falcon, isd

- redesign is hard to do when the previous model was perfect and big

- the 7965 falcon is still selling and this set is enough detailed and big for masses, and it is not good to come with another falcon

If i look at the history of UCS - why redesign the 2007 falcon and not 2002 ISD, which is much older ? Why to make another falcon just 5 years after finishing the sale of the previous one, when there are still many models which were not created yet?

My opinion is that TLC will continue with sale of falcon 7965 - which is enough big and cover the new movies wave with this set.

To be on TLC side, i would stop for a while a re-designing and produce a new one model for 2014, another new model in 2015, then i 2016 i would redesign ISD + issue another new model, then on 2017 another new model, and just after then i would think about a new falcon - but never know, how it would be looking - i expect then there is a solid risk that a new UCS will be not so detailed and big as the original - because a very big model needs a really big price, what can reduce the number of customers.

There is always a chance, but why not offer fans some new UCS ships instead of retreads? There are so many more options.

Yes, there are other options, but I think they are starting to run out of popular enough ships without getting into crazy obscure ones that maybe get a total of a flash second on screen.

I can't personally think of any other than a couple of Rebel ships that haven't been done.  What would you think from the OT would be decent enough to be UCS?

If i look at the history of UCS - why redesign the 2007 falcon and not 2002 ISD, which is much older ? Why to make another falcon just 5 years after finishing the sale of the previous one, when there are still many models which were not created yet?

Now while I would like to see a new ISD, from what I could tell anyways, there's not near the demand as there is for the MF.  Now maybe around the time of the movies re-design the ISD I think that would be good.

I do agree that the price point may be high for a decent sized MF, I'm confident that there is enough interest that people will do what they can to get a hold of one before it retires again.  I know if TLG hints at one, I would save up money immediately to buy it the day it's released.

Now I wouldn't mind getting what's supposedly rumored for next summer/winter UCS.  But I don't think that a 2015/2016 release isn't terribly bad.

Yes, there are other options, but I think they are starting to run out of popular enough ships without getting into crazy obscure ones that maybe get a total of a flash second on screen.

I can't personally think of any other than a couple of Rebel ships that haven't been done.  What would you think from the OT would be decent enough to be UCS?.

I agree. Not many are left that haven't been part of the UCS line already.

Slave 1

A-Wing

Imperial Tie-Fighter

Landspeeder

A "true" UCS Sandcrawler

• 1 month later...

if a set this popular doest get a few reissues then the lego gods must be blind. i wouldnt spend anymore than retail to have this set ever. Star wars sets do well and therfore you will always have an oppurtunity to buy what u want. its the more obscure - seasonal and fad type themes that will command the bigger numbers over time. spongebob sets may seem silly now - but they will end up ecipsing these ucs models

I sold my used one just before Xmas. Got about $100 more after fees than what I paid for it. I just couldn't justify having $2k tied up in it for my own personal collection. I really wanted to build it though and the experience was great.

I agree 100%. While I'm not buying a $2k set, I follow on what you are saying on a smaller scale.

My experiences are the same when buying used sets to build (e.g. Eiffel Tower, Batman 1 Arkham). Luckily, my profit is still 10%-20% after fees which isn't bad considering the sets are in my possession for only 3-6 months. The key as many know is to not get caught holding these "to build" sets when a refresh is about to be released (6211 and 10144 soon).

My latest purchase is Cloud City to build and most likely unload for a small profit.

• 5 months later...

Hallo,

I just bought a sealed (intact plastic tape) MF FIRST EDITION for 1500 EUR (2000$).

What should I do with it? Build it? Or stash it?

Any advice....

Depends on you really, what you want to get out of it.  Some people have their first editions certified and sealed in a plastic case to display.  Will it go up in value?  Only time will tell.  However, this is Lego and if I spent a bunch of money on it I'd probably build it.  Lego is sad when it's left in the box.

Sell it and buy a quality used one to build. The set is easily worth 2500 EURO. If it is a First Edition, even more than that. You can easily clear 1000 EURO after taxes and commissions IMO. It is found money. I have a few myself, but I am holding onto mine. It's a personal choice, but maybe not a wise one.

• Like 1