10179 - UCS: Millennium Falcon

Ed Mack

Hi all,
So I ended up purchasing a MF 10179 for $2500 used with box, stickers and manuals. I asked the seller if it was complete since I noticed that the radar dish was different without the lines. He said :
"The lego set belongs to my late brother who passed away last year.I am in business trip this week, I have confirmed with my family that the sticker still in the box.It comes with certificate of authenticity as my late brother bought this set when he was in USA for his study. You definitely getting what you see in the picture."
The seller (from Malaysia) had given me a 2nd chance offer as I assume the highest bidder backed out. I paid him via paypal. I got this message after a couple of days:
"Thanks for your payment. I just received the confirmation from Paypal.
I need to let you know that I will be traveling to CHINA for business trip this coming Friday due to some urgent matters, and not able to pack you item on time to ship it out as I need to dismantle and make sure no missing parts before send the item to you. I will be back on next Friday (7th August), and I will ship out your item right after I come back from the business trip. Please let me know if you are OK for the arrangement, else I will return the money to you and we cancel the deal. I am sorry for the delay."
I am in a Dillema whether to cancel or just wait? Feedback Thoughts. Seller had only 1 rating and was selling other rare retired exclusive at the same (taj mahal)

Seller : xxxxxx (1)  , 100.0% Positive Feedback, Member since Jul-24-15 in Malaysia

If it can't be delivered by the eBay delivery date, I would take my money but that's me...

In the seller's listing, he stated that he has "done a 100% complete inventory of the set."

In his email to you, the seller said that he wanted to dismantle the set and make sure that there is no missing part.

These 2 statements above don't seem to be consistent.  If I were you, I would ask the seller to send the set in its current form (not dismantled) right away.  If the seller declines to do so, then I would ask for my money back.

" Seller : xxxxxx (1)  , 100.0% Positive Feedback, Member since Jul-24-15 "

This reads stay away.

And the old traveling on business is another 'do not buy from me' warning

If you choose to continue with this 'deal' get ready for the endless delays on emails / custom delays / out of office messages... etc.

• Like 1

Sounds like he is stalling in order to withdraw his money from PayPal after a holding period... Then he'll take the money and run leaving you to deal with PayPal to get your cash back.

Have you done a reverse image search to see if the pictures were stolen?

Sounds like he is stalling in order to withdraw his money from PayPal after a holding period... Then he'll take the money and run leaving you to deal with PayPal to get your cash back.

Have you done a reverse image search to see if the pictures were stolen?

How do I do that.. I have no clue 

I have attached pics from listing

$_12.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57 (1).JPG

• Like 1

The picture of the assembled Falcon is clearly bricklinked... Notice all of the black levers which would be grey on the authentic model.  I am somewhat confused on why there are parts in the box if the Falcon is already assembled though.

Also the first picture of the box looks photoshopped on the wood floor background.

It all does not add up to me... I would try to get my money back

How do I do that.. I have no clue 

I have attached pics from listing

I found the first photo (of the closed box) in google .. but it was very small and so old that the link was no longer valid. The other ones came up empty though... except as I was looking at them, in the third photo it appears the parts are in the factory sealed bags?

Anyways, how you do it is...

1) Save the image to your computer.
2) Go to images.google.com, click on the "camera" icon.
3) Choose to "upload" a picture.
4) Upload yours, scan the results...

If somebody warermarks or crops them, it'll be hard to find a match. I've done this for a few people here and sometimes it's the first or second image found!

• Like 1

Looking at the picture of the assembled Falcon some more makes me think that this picture has been photoshopped onto the wood floor background as well.  The Falcon is photographed from almost directly above while the floor is at an angle.  The only way to achieve this would have been to raise up one side of the Falcon (why?).  Also, the lighting on the top of the Falcon does not seem to be consistent with the floor and also there are no shadows as you would normally get with this kind of lighting...

Edited by lostalotalegos

That first pic of the box is clearly just the stock box image pasted onto a picture of his floor!

I've seen quite a few 10179 scammers when i was deciding to buy used or brick-link mine, and this does look fishy. Every so often bricklink has 10179 and 10030 scammers pop up. They have just created their account like 2 days ago, and are only selling these 2 sets BNIB for ridiculously cheap and only accept bank remittance... yeah sure buddy :P

Looking even closer at the other photos... i'm not too sure those are real either haha. I see a bit of cropping and anomolies that make it look like copy pasted onto a picture of his floor..

That first pic of the box is clearly just the stock box image pasted onto a picture of his floor!

I've seen quite a few 10179 scammers when i was deciding to buy used or brick-link mine, and this does look fishy. Every so often bricklink has 10179 and 10030 scammers pop up. They have just created their account like 2 days ago, and are only selling these 2 sets BNIB for ridiculously cheap and only accept bank remittance... yeah sure buddy :P

Looking even closer at the other photos... i'm not too sure those are real either haha. I see a bit of cropping and anomolies that make it look like copy pasted onto a picture of his floor..

Right... like that little black thing on the baseboard!

Here's a copy of the box, with the floor cropped off:

55b902879239a__12.thumb.JPG.4f9fa60f6535

And the image used by Amazon...

91KctfEsYxL._SX355_.thumb.jpg.9681c7f9d4

Pretty much a 100% match.

• Like 1

Yeah definitely, take a look at pics 1 and 3. In 1 near the top of the box in particular, looks fuzzy (photoshop job gone bad). Also, in 3, the trim/edge right on the top left of the falcon. The angle relative to the floor is also off, so yes, photoshop. 

It`s the age old saying that rings true through the ages, if it looks too good to be true, it more than likely is. At $2500, this really does coincide with that statement. Out of curiosity, what was he charging for shipping? Or was it included in the listing? Reason I ask is if it`s from Malaysia, you`re looking at a hefty shipping bill. 

Edited by @rtisan
  • Like 1