10179 - UCS: Millennium Falcon

Ed Mack

Hey Guys, so I as well have a 10179 sealed in its inner shipping box, and based on the sticker on the outside, I am trying to figure out if there is a chance it could be from the first batch :

http://www.doodloo.com/montreal/buy-sell/lego-ultimate-collector-s-millennium-falcon-10179/5626/8/2166/11/

I called Lego and they said that general availability of this item was October 1, 2007.  The production date on the sticker on the outside of the box states October 18, 2007.

Based on this date, there are two possibilities.

1 - It is the first batch since the date is so close to the date that it was made available to the public, i.e. 18 days later.

2 - It is the second batch since the first batch would have been completed prior to general availability.  i.e. since they made it available Oct 1, than the first batch would have to have been completed by Oct 1 so anything after this date has to be second batch.

Any thoughts? 

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys, new to this thread.

So don't hate on me if this has already been discussed at length.

I've managed to finally purchase 100% complete, used second hand in good condition MF, (sticker not applied, second edition)

Looking forward to take my time and enjoy the build.

But a nagging thought, I have been thinking about towards the end of the week, is the possibility of Lego re-releasing MF.

With the MF begin teased appreance in the new trilogy, and the iconic buying power of this classic ship. One begs the question, is not if, but when will Lego re-release this set? Even current play-set version is tracking well in online sales!

With the re-releases of the UCS range now a common threat to ones not so exclusive collection, e.***. X-Wing, & now the Sand-Crawler.

Will this de value the 10179? or add value?

What are your thoughts?

Current owners would you buy a redesigned MF?

It's kinda doing my head in...

Edited by NZ-EUG

Ok guys, new to this thread.

So don't hate on me if this has already been discussed at length.

I've managed to finally purchase 100% complete, used second hand in good condition MF, (sticker not applied, second edition)

Looking forward to take my time and enjoy the build.

But a nagging thought, I have been thinking about towards the end of the week, is the possibility of Lego re-releasing MF.

With the MF begin teased appreance in the new trilogy, and the iconic buying power of this classic ship. One begs the question, is not if, but when will Lego re-release this set?

With the re-releases of the UCS range now a common threat to ones not so exclusive collection, e.***. X-Wing, & now the Sand-Crawler.

Will this de value the 10179? or add value?

What are your thoughts?

Current owners would you buy a redesigned MF?

It's kinda doing my head in...

Common understanding is that there is virtually no way TLC could release new 5000+ sets. People even have doubts about TLC willing to produce any sets with 3000+ piece counts

Guest TabbyBoy

I see that set number 70179 isn't in use yet, I wonder if they're saving it for something special?  I was so close to buying a 10179 in Modelzone a few years back but, I got the bus into town that day instead of drving and I was just too bone idle to lug it around town and carry it on the bus.  By the next week, it was game over!

Common understanding is that there is virtually no way TLC could release new 5000+ sets. People even have doubts about TLC willing to produce any sets with 3000+ piece counts

While for the most part I agree, you would have to think if they broke that rule, this is the set they would do it on.  Of course, MSRP on that these days would probably be $600 I would think. 

I am in the camp that thinks this set will get re-done and I'm all for it as I don't have one anymore and won't spend $2000 on another one.

While for the most part I agree, you would have to think if they broke that rule, this is the set they would do it on. Of course, MSRP on that these days would probably be $600 I would think.

I am in the camp that thinks this set will get re-done and I'm all for it as I don't have one anymore and won't spend $2000 on another one.

I am leaning towards Tumbler size MF (piece-count wise), maybe slightly more pieces

Somewhere it was mentioned that just distribution planning and retailer negotiation stage (and that's not including design stage) takes 2 years for non-CUUSOO sets.

This doesn't pass my "sniff test".  Movie themed sets are often released contemporaneous with the movie they tie to.  There is no way there is a two-year lead time for these sets to be "planned and negotiated", when the there can be a year or less between finishing the script and releasing the movie.

This doesn't pass my "sniff test".  Movie themed sets are often released contemporaneous with the movie they tie to.  There is no way there is a two-year lead time for these sets to be "planned and negotiated", when the there can be a year or less between finishing the script and releasing the movie.

I was referring to this: http://www.amazon.com/review/RJCWM8PMDOB4S/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00L2DL6N4&nodeID=165793011&store=toys-and-games

But then there is also this:  http://lego.gizmodo.com/5019797/everything-you-always-wanted-to-know-about-lego  (post from 2008). see question "How long do they take to develop a theme, all the sets, start to finish?"

I was referring to this: http://www.amazon.com/review/RJCWM8PMDOB4S/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00L2DL6N4&nodeID=165793011&store=toys-and-games

But then there is also this:  http://lego.gizmodo.com/5019797/everything-you-always-wanted-to-know-about-lego  (post from 2008). see question "How long do they take to develop a theme, all the sets, start to finish?"

The 12 months in your second quote I could believe.  They could start 12 months out based on the set plans and script as it exists, then do a revision once the filming is in the can.

It was obvious in the first round of Hobbit sets that there wasn't good communication between the studio and Lego. As I remember sets were release that had no corresponding scene in the movie.

I was referring to this: http://www.amazon.com/review/RJCWM8PMDOB4S/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00L2DL6N4&nodeID=165793011&store=toys-and-games

But then there is also this: http://lego.gizmodo.com/5019797/everything-you-always-wanted-to-know-about-lego (post from 2008). see question "How long do they take to develop a theme, all the sets, start to finish?"

12 months is definitely reasonable. LEGO is going to want to have some sweet sets because this movie, IMO, will create a very large boom in sales. It will bring in more AFOLs and also get younger kids interested. Should be exciting.

The 12 months in your second quote I could believe.  They could start 12 months out based on the set plans and script as it exists, then do a revision once the filming is in the can.

It was obvious in the first round of Hobbit sets that there wasn't good communication between the studio and Lego. As I remember sets were release that had no corresponding scene in the movie.

I wonder if they are going to run into same issues with new SW movie, considering the secrecy. They do know about millenium falcon via leaked photos of course by now

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I wonder if they are going to run into same issues with new SW movie, considering the secrecy. They do know about millenium falcon via leaked photos of course by now

IMO they receive a sketch (or some models if they are lucky enough) of spaceships which will be included in the movies, and producers tell them "look at this sketch, this is a scene in which the XXX vehicule struggles with the YYY" and that's about it. That's why we can have sometimes some sets which are disappointing, a little irrelevant or a bit surprising...

Edited by biniou

• 1 month later...

You know, not every member on here has set numbers memorized, you really should post the set name for this sort of stuff. What if I was clicking on some Chima thread?

:wink:

If you use Chrome, you can always use this..

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/bricktip-a-legor-sets-ext/jpkbkjgegfhjbfcbinbgpfkhdcjgjgeo

Now to get one that does LEGO abbreviations and acronyms!