10179 - UCS: Millennium Falcon

Ed Mack

I've been eye-balling this set for a little while now, and I just can't bring myself to actually purchase one, even if I could afford it at the moment.

I settled for 7965 to tide me over in the mean time.

If they were to do a re-issue, as much as I love the MF, I wouldn't mind seeing a better version of the ISD.  I had one when it first came out, and there were flaws with it.  It was flimsy and the stand didn't really feel so secure.  I recently purchased the SSD and that is a much better build overall compared to the ISD.

So a re-imagining as it were for the ISD would be freaking awesome.

But I would love to see an alliance frigate of some sort as well.  Lego needs to break it up a little bit.

Either way, I'm looking forward to the next UCS Star Wars set.

Guest brickcrazyhouse

I could see LEGO making another slightly smaller version when the next star wars movie comes out.  Major sales and hurts resellers of the original.

For those who don't think they will redo the Falcon.  Fort Legoredo, released in 1995 and again in 2002. 

They do not care about the investment community.  If the market is big enough for it, they will make another.  If they believe they will make the Falcon and end up clearancing it similar to the B-Wing, you won't see it.  It will happen, it is more of a matter of how long until it happens.

If they make a new falcon to coincide with the new movies, it will probably be based on whatever redesign jj abrams presents.

The OT version will still be a huge money maker. Sometimes I look at my collection and seriously consider dumping some of it and buying a Falcon RIGHT NOW. But after all my big talk about "investments," my wife would kill me.

First Lego set to break the $3k mark  :party:

Speculation about a re-make is just that - speculation.  We've discussed it at length in another thread and to me the reasons against a re-make are far more compelling, it just doesn't seem to make good business sense in my opinion.

Maybe I'm a little bias though as I have a 10179 and I'll probably be looking to sell it at some stage soon to share the love with another enthusiast. I'll probably put it on Brick Classifieds once it's live.

Well if they do remake the UCS Falcon on the same scale as 10179 you are looking at a $700 RRP. In short it is never going to happen. UCS sets are getting smaller, not larger, as the $400 price point continues to fail for TLG. Most likely they will replace 7965 with another medium scaled Falcon based on the new movie with some new minifigs and sell it for $149. 

• Like 1

While the update runs, I start looking into how the data is coming out.  I usually pull up a few known sets to see how everything is working.  I just pulled some numbers on the #10179 Falcon to see what's going on there.  Overall, I am fairly surprised to see that over the past 2 months, 87 Falcons found a new home.  It's amazing how they keep shifting around and to see that so many people are craving this set and willing to part with a nice chunk of cash to get one.

Here are a few numbers:

eBay US: 51  (Avg price: $2364.02)
eBay EU: 17  (Avg price: $2266.05)
eBay UK: 15  (Avg price: $2379.40)
eBay AU:   4  (Avg price: $2527.96)

Total cost of purchased UCS Falcons during this period: $204,891.16

Some of you may say that 87 sets is not a lot, but I am looking at the amount of people shelling out well over $2000 for one set, to me that is quite a few in a short time.

Thanks for sharing Jeff. If I did my math correctly, the average price for each Falcon in the while world is $2,355.07. I never would have thought that this many Falcons were being sold.

New movies with the falcon appearance isnt a reason for re-editon of UCS falcon at all - it is just reason for classic scale model for thousands of children. UCS is just for AFOLs, which are not so depend on actual movies. The best way for TLC is just continue with 7965 and sell it more years.

I also agree with some opinions here that re-released UCS falcon will be probably smaller and more suitable for people, for which is price over 400 dolars for lego too much.

• Like 1

That`s quite an achievement to say the least! Smart to sell if Lego is indeed going to be releasing another version. I view the set this way, I could afford one if I really wanted it, but would rather place $2500 else where. It`s a large some of money to put into one set, and would take a very large chunk out of my savings, which doesn`t justify it for me. If it would go higher (say, $4000+) then perhaps, but not now. I do congratulate anyone who is shelling out the cash to buy a New/Used/Bricklinked version though. A friend of mine got one when it was out, and I agree, it`s a beast of a display piece  :D  

That`s quite an achievement to say the least! Smart to sell if Lego is indeed going to be releasing another version. I view the set this way, I could afford one if I really wanted it, but would rather place $2500 else where. It`s a large some of money to put into one set, and would take a very large chunk out of my savings, which doesn`t justify it for me. If it would go higher (say, $4000+) then perhaps, but not now. I do congratulate anyone who is shelling out the cash to buy a New/Used/Bricklinked version though. A friend of mine got one when it was out, and I agree, it`s a beast of a display piece  :D  

I agree that it is a lot of money to put towards one set, but you can get it for 1,000,000 Brickpoints in the Brickpoints store, but that may take a while.

• Like 1

So are these numbers an average of the sold listings in NEW and USED form? I was just looking at the 10179 Price Guide page, and the set has reached an all time high of $3,051.73! :D Kudos to you who own it! Since only December of 2012, this set has increased invalue over $1000. (I use that date since that is when I first picked up on LEGO investing). Could have made $1,000 not including fees. Then again, that would mean dropping $2k on a singular LEGO set, which I am not ready to do yet, psychologically and financially.

Well if they do remake the UCS Falcon on the same scale as 10179 you are looking at a $700 RRP. In short it is never going to happen. UCS sets are getting smaller, not larger, as the $400 price point continues to fail for TLG. Most likely they will replace 7965 with another medium scaled Falcon based on the new movie with some new minifigs and sell it for $149.

I agree with this. Sets are getting smaller. Have you checked out the proposed sets for 2014? I don't think LEGO wants to produce a $700 set.

With the new movies coming out, and with them being origin movies, I think there will be too many new ship types for Lego to do another Falcon any time soon.  However, if the ship does make an appearance in one of the new movies, that will be a huge money maker for them and open up the addiction for the new fans of the movies.  I can see one of two things happening:  they do a huge run of new ships from the new movies and then re-release the iconic older ships after they market is saturated with the new movies' ships; or they come out with a new non-ucs ship if the Falcon makes an appearance in the new movies, which will further delay a UCS Falcon.  

Either way, I know the Lego Group designers are in heaven planning for these new ships and coming up with creative strategies for releasing new versions of their favorite ships.  My only fear in all of this is that the Falcon gets ignored and any re-releases are copies of what I already have.  

For those who don't think they will redo the Falcon. Fort Legoredo, released in 1995 and again in 2002.

They do not care about the investment community. If the market is big enough for it, they will make another. If they believe they will make the Falcon and end up clearancing it similar to the B-Wing, you won't see it. It will happen, it is more of a matter of how long until it happens.

To be the nitpicky one, that Fort Legoredo in 2002 was a rerelease; not a redesign. And like all the other rerelease attempts, it failed. True, Lego does not care about the investment community specifically but rather their own butts so we are not going to see a Ultimate Collector Series redesign overhaul on the Millennium Falcon while the regular latest version is still available for an unknown amount of time as they could turn that into another Live Star. It would be meaningless to have two Falcons soaring about in the market.

• 4 weeks later...

I just snagged a used 10179 for $900 with box and instructions...but it's missing the sticker sheet. Good buy?

Yeah. Over $700 of what the PG says, and you can probably sell it for more than that, since some are selling for as high as $2k. I'd sell it now. Don't see much movement in its value. Price Guide not working for you?