10179 - UCS: Millennium Falcon

Ed Mack

Basically all you guys are agreeing with me by saying it won't be affected "that much". I didn't say the 10179 will crash and burn. I said it would be adversely affected. No one knows how much. It just seems silly to me that a remake is going to make the 10179 go up in value. I'm not a hater though. Whoever is lucky enough to own one (or more) is a winner in my book!

Yeah got your point.

Thing is: does a vintage Gibson Les Paul depreciate because a remake is coming on the market? Well, we can both agree on the fact that this will hardly happen (and 10179 can be for sure considered the Hendrix guitar of all sets out there, hands down ^_^).

Personally I'd like to see something else re-released before the MF - we are quite full of falcons out there - but this is discussed in another thread so not going to derail this one.

2 hours ago, stephen_rockefeller said:

Basically all you guys are agreeing with me by saying it won't be affected "that much". I didn't say the 10179 will crash and burn. I said it would be adversely affected. No one knows how much. It just seems silly to me that a remake is going to make the 10179 go up in value. I'm not a hater though. Whoever is lucky enough to own one (or more) is a winner in my book!

In my opinion, a UCS MF remake won't be positive for 10179. We are on the same page ;)  

as of today, there is only 1 expensive choice if you want a larger Lego MF set. In my opinion, whether most buyers can afford a 10179 today is irreverent for this conversation. Bottom line there is only true option  

A remake will give people thinking about a 10179 another option. Supply and demand just changed drastically for this ship. 

Stephen, I think your analysis is dead on at less for the initial 12 months after a 10179 is refreshed. 

In my opinion, a UCS MF remake won't be positive for 10179. We are on the same page   

as of today, there is only 1 expensive choice if you want a larger Lego MF set. In my opinion, whether most buyers can afford a 10179 today is irreverent for this conversation. Bottom line there is only true option  

A remake will give people thinking about a 10179 another option. Supply and demand just changed drastically for this ship. 

Stephen, I think your analysis is dead on at less for the initial 12 months after a 10179 is refreshed. 

Well it really depends on how this potential remake will be designed. If it will be comparable to the (high) standards set by 10179, potential impact could be 0. I don't think it will be positive the impact either, I mean could also potentially be but not because of the remake but because of its natural path of price increase as it happened up to now.

is it really inconceivable to see 10179 Falcons selling for 20,000+ further down the line? 

EARTH TO CRUSTY..........EARTH TO CRUSTY......COME IN PLEASE.

Ha I was always going to get flamed for that statement. But when there are Star Wars figures reaching sales of over $10,000 I see no reason why 10 to 20 years from now the original Falcon won't be in a similar league

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Crustybeaver said:

Ha I was always going to get flamed for that statement. But when there are Star Wars figures reaching sales of over $10,000 I see no reason why 10 to 20 years from now the original Falcon won't be in a similar league

Star Wars figures that reach 5 figures are those that exist in quantities that you can count on 1 hand, or those that have been 'professionally graded' and deemed to be so rare that they also only exist in crazy rare quantity.

The 10179, while rare, is nowhere near that kind of rarity.

I would also say that the 10179 is 100% more interesting, more substantial, and more useful than one terrible representation of an imperial guard with 5 points of articulation released in Turkey on a terrible knockoff card.

End of day, i think its a flawed analogy.

Here's why a new UCS will hurt or help the 10179.

You're right that it won't hurt the sealed market, it won't hurt the still in factory case market, but it will hurt anything less than that perfect copy.

I'm in the market for a 10179. I want one to build, but i'd also pay more for a mint box to accompany it. Cause i'm a weird star wars collector guy.

Now, if they release a model next year that is comparable in size and quality for $499-699, I'm all in buying one to enjoy, and eventually, some to put away.

If they release a model that's even BIGGER or better than the original (lighted elements, motorized, bigger, better detail, interior, etc for $899-999, i'm REALLY all in.

If they release one next year that's half the size of the 10179, my lust for the original and better version goes up.

So a new one absolutely could hurt the old one, or it could help the old one.

If you're talking about the pristine sealed set, yes that is PROBABLY still always going to be worth a ton for collector freaks.

What it would do is create a much larger gulf between PERFECT sealed, and Loose complete. The loose complete would go down if an equal / better version is available. Not just stop increasing. It will go down. 

The loose market won't pay 1800 when they can pay $599-999 for a 'better version'.

The sealed market WILL still pay $5000+ for the original perfect. 

That's my opinion of course, and i don't consider it fact :)

Edited by mudcatsfan

4 hours ago, Anakin_Skywalker said:

Well it really depends on how this potential remake will be designed. If it will be comparable to the (high) standards set by 10179, potential impact could be 0. I don't think it will be positive the impact either, I mean could also potentially be but not because of the remake but because of its natural path of price increase as it happened up to now.

Great older sets that were refreshed by inferior sets still haven't regained appreciation like before (e.g. The Batcave from 2006 and some SW sets from the 2000s). The typical Lego buyer (not like us) care about lower prices.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crustybeaver said:

Could be.  It really depends on how iconic it really will be though...doesn't it?  If LEGO releases a 6000 piece UCS Falcon, the 10179 becomes a lot less iconic.

• Like 2

Ultimately I feel that the truth lies in between what@mudcatsfan and@Ed Mack both stated.

Could Disney, as a potential actor in this, influence in some way the type of a re-release of such set or Lego is 100% free of doing what he wants?

What I mean is: has Disney the power to ""force"" Lego to stay low with the piece count because of commercial reasons (less pieces -> lower price -> more appealing to kids -> more units sold -> profits going up) or...? The lower the piece count, the more affordable the set is and the broader audience can reach.

I was figuring out if there is some kind of interaction between the two toys giants here.

46 minutes ago, Anakin_Skywalker said:

Could Disney, as a potential actor in this, influence in some way the type of a re-release of such set or Lego is 100% free of doing what he wants?

We don't know what the contracts state.  I am of the belief that it falls a bit into a gray, but that the IP holder (e.g., Lucasfilm/Disney) has the final say in what it wants produced.

I believe it's a two way street, to a degree.  LEGO is probably able to suggest models, price points, product lines and production dates.  Lucasfilm can probably ask LEGO to produce prototypes or design sketches for products it would like to promote, production runs lengths, and etc.  I would guess final say is somewhere in between there.  All depends on how the contract is structured.

We don't know what the contracts state.  I am of the belief that it falls a bit into a gray, but that the IP holder (e.g., Lucasfilm/Disney) has the final say in what it wants produced.

I believe it's a two way street, to a degree.  LEGO is probably able to suggest models, price points, product lines and production dates.  Lucasfilm can probably ask LEGO to produce prototypes or design sketches for products it would like to promote, production runs lengths, and etc.  I would guess final say is somewhere in between there.  All depends on how the contract is structured.

That is what I was thinking too. Since Disney has also its long lasting experience in toys industry and its brand is printed on the Lego box in the end, might be able to have a lot more influence that one could think of...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I need some help. Somebody i know has been offered a use 10179. after viewing photos, i think its a bricklinked copy but trying to pass it off as original. Was the Dish piece printed or did it have a sticker? Also, the small antennas at the back are grey and black, aren't these suppose to be all grey?

6 minutes ago, CrabslayerT said:

I need some help. Somebody i know has been offered a use 10179. after viewing photos, i think its a bricklinked copy but trying to pass it off as original. Was the Dish piece printed or did it have a sticker? Also, the small antennas at the back are grey and black, aren't these suppose to be all grey?

both boat mast elements are light bley (aka medium blusih gray)

• Like 1

Saw this listing pop up but didn't pull the trigger - apart from the zero feedback on the seller, couldn't tell if it was bricklinked or not.  I guess having the instructions helps its case but can't see the dish

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGO-Star-Wars-Millennium-Falcon-10179-/272225977209?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=ueZlBmuGA6R0Tz1QyZQmodX18Jc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

5 minutes ago, Huskers1236 said:

At $1000ish, I would have pulled the trigger.  The yellow 5x5 technics alone help the authentic cause, as well as seeing a true light bley antenna.  Nothing concrete, just evidence helping authenticate.  Even Bricklinked, it's worth it.

yeah the yellow made me think that too but i'm no expert on these things... anyway I think I found it while the buyer was checking out because it was still on sale but the buy it now button was missing from the page.  either that or eBay had some kind of weird bug on the page.  

5 minutes ago, Huskers1236 said:

My only problem with it is that the $$$ pieces are not showing.  Seller claims 100% complete so you have that to fall back on if there were problems. 

I'm too much of a wuss normally to pull the trigger on something like that when it's so expensive but eBay would probably side with me if there were any major problems.  

Maybe next time I'll give it a shot and see what happens although I'm still holding out hope that we'll get some kind of re-release in the next few years so I can finally build one of these holy grails.

I'm pretty sure I remember a conversation some time back about this kind of problem.  As far as I believe, if every piece is true to the original down to color, and variation, I don't see how you can it's not genuine?  Hell, the only thing that's missing is the box and the other stuff.  But it would still technically be an original.  A lego piece is a lego piece.  It doesn't matter where the piece came from.

If I have a set that I lost a couple of pieces and replaced them with the exact same thing from another set, does it not become original anymore???

The only thing that would matter to me, are the pieces truly original.  Now, the antennas aren't original to the set, and that will set you back a bit of money for sure.  With this set, the antennas, the unique printed dish, and boat pieces in the back are the biggest things to look for.  Those alone will set you back easily $400+.  If those aren't there, I would probably pass.

3 hours ago, citymorgue said:

I'm pretty sure I remember a conversation some time back about this kind of problem.  As far as I believe, if every piece is true to the original down to color, and variation, I don't see how you can it's not genuine?  Hell, the only thing that's missing is the box and the other stuff.  But it would still technically be an original.  A lego piece is a lego piece.  It doesn't matter where the piece came from.

If I have a set that I lost a couple of pieces and replaced them with the exact same thing from another set, does it not become original anymore???

The only thing that would matter to me, are the pieces truly original.  Now, the antennas aren't original to the set, and that will set you back a bit of money for sure.  With this set, the antennas, the unique printed dish, and boat pieces in the back are the biggest things to look for.  Those alone will set you back easily $400+.  If those aren't there, I would probably pass.

The two boat mast riggings alone will cost you $500 with the current prices on BL. The dish is $100, the rest I don't know currently. So make that $700 plus shipping for just those pieces.