STAR WARS VII - "The Force Awakens" - Movie Discussion

gregpj

I think JJ made his Star Trek movies resemble his vision of SW. Thus, this film might look like his Star Trek which was based SW :)

I can't stop watching the trailer and getting chills when the Falcon shows up.  The girl's speeder sounds alot like the podracers from Ep1 and the effects of the MF doing the loopty loop are just like Star Trek that JJ did.  Same studio?

My son (who didn't know that JJ had done them both), also commented at that point that it looked like Star Trek.

• Like 1

I guess I am in the other camp on 10179. If I had any I would make sure to sell them in the next 3 weeks. Price has been flat last 12-18 months for used and new has gone way up. With the risk of another like set coming, and we know how those can destroy new value, I would take the profit and run.

As you know, it's not always about making a profit. There is a deep seated human desire to own things of value and what better way to express that in the world of LEGO investing than to own the most iconic and valuable LEGO set of all time? Many would argue that you could never be considered a worthy LEGO collector unless you have one.

Based off the trailer and what sets we know are in the winter Star Wars line, I would say the 9492 Tie Fighter might get a bump in value since the design looked pretty close if not identical to the original. I would even say it may make it even more likely to see a UCS Tie Fighter for May 4th. I'm not sure if I liked the half wing X-wings (front section goes down, back section up). However I am excited for new non recycle lego sw sets regardless .

As you know, it's not always about making a profit. There is a deep seated human desire to own things of value and what better way to express that in the world of LEGO investing than to own the most iconic and valuable LEGO set of all time? Many would argue that you could never be considered a worthy LEGO collector unless you have one.

While I agree it is the most iconic set of all time and I would like to add one to my collection mint sealed to never open which I could do but I have chosen not to so far I would not agree with those (certainly not saying you think that) that say you are not "Worthy" if you don't have one.  I am sure there are some out there like that but that is a stretch beyond stretches to me to say someone is an unworthy Lego collector as a personal insult attack.  People with that attitude remind me of the rich boy in school who bragged about all they owned to put other people down and make themselves feel better when they really have a problem with themselves on the inside.  Having pride in owning a 10179 is a different thing than worthiness and I would admire people for having pride of having one in their collection.  The post saying dump all you have now must be a perspective of purely investment basis which is a completely different mindset (not wrong but different) of a Lego collector.

The thing that strikes me is the depiction of the Falcon, Tie's and the Xwing's flying at great speed right near the surface of planets, and even screaming just feet over water. I don't remember much of this during the original trilogy (if any). 

It's a great effect, and probably something that wouldnt have looked real enough with the OT, where the black background of space was an easier palette to paint upon.

Now that i think on it, that's probably why the original speeder bike chase had such impact.

It seems like he also did this in the newer Star Trek films, even having the enterprise hiding under water in the second one. 

It somehow grounds those vehicles and gives them weight and depth by seeing them interact with things you can relate to, rather than just the cold vastness of space.

Truly beautiful looking effects. Here's hoping the story (and especially the dialogue) match this early tease of amazingness.

Edited by mudcatsfan

While I agree it is the most iconic set of all time and I would like to add one to my collection mint sealed to never open which I could do but I have chosen not to so far I would not agree with those (certainly not saying you think that) that say you are not "Worthy" if you don't have one. I am sure there are some out there like that but that is a stretch beyond stretches to me to say someone is an unworthy Lego collector as a personal insult attack. People with that attitude remind me of the rich boy in school who bragged about all they owned to put other people down and make themselves feel better when they really have a problem with themselves on the inside. Having pride in owning a 10179 is a different thing than worthiness and I would admire people for having pride of having one in their collection. The post saying dump all you have now must be a perspective of purely investment basis which is a completely different mindset (not wrong but different) of a Lego collector.

I do not feel that you need to have one to be considered a worthy investor, but I can see this set hitting astronomical values and it becoming the ultimate "Mantique."

As for the light saber situation...I love it. Looks like Excalibur. It's a movie. Who cares if a person can actually fight with it. Can Yoda really lift an X-Wing with his mind?

It's not his mind, it's "The Force".  Yoda is out of his mind without the force.  Hard partying in his younger days stunted his growth and speech.

• Like 1

I do not feel that you need to have one to be considered a worthy investor, but I can see this set hitting astronomical values and it becoming the ultimate "Mantique."

I don't disagree - its top of my bucket list and a holy grail to me even if it collapses in value in some weerd manner.

I just KICK myself for not buying it off of Craigslist, 2 hours away and $2500 new mint sealed.  Arghh.

The thing that strikes me is the Falcon, Tie's and the Xwing's near the surface of planets, and even screaming just feet over water. I don't remember much of this during the original trilogy (if any). 

It's a great effect, and probably something that wouldnt have looked real enough with the OT, where the black background of space was an easier palette to paint upon.

It seems like he also did this in the newer Star Trek films, even having the enterprise hiding under water in the second one. 

It somehow grounds those vehicles and gives them weight and depth by seeing them interact with things you can relate to, rather than just the cold vastness of space.

Truly beautiful looking effects. Here's hoping the story (and especially the dialogue) match this early tease of amazingness.

Some of these effects and similar missions took place in the old "Rogue Squadron" video game series.  Pretty awesome stuff and I'm tempted now and again to break out the old Gamecube to fire up some Rogue Squadron and Rogue Squadron II.

• Like 2

Indeed. You also need to own a LEGO monorail set, a Grand Carousel, and a Taj Mahal.

Edited by thehornedrat

Some of these effects and similar missions took place in the old "Rogue Squadron" video game series. Pretty awesome stuff and I'm tempted now and again to break out the old Gamecube to fire up some Rogue Squadron and Rogue Squadron II.

I had RS in my hand at the local video game store just a couple of hours ago. Ahhh the memories.

• Like 1

If you're in this game solely to make money then you have to not get sentimental about sets. You're point is logical but it would take a strong man to part with the holy grail. Probably never will there be a more valuable and iconic set than the original UCS Falcon.

Sure, but that's a whole other discussion, and one only the person who asked the question can answer. I assume he was asking from a financial viewpoint rather than an emotional one.

If the set means that much to him, he could sell it now, invest and double the money, then re-buy another 10179 say, 2 years down the line, and have money leftover.

As it stands, his MISB isn't really making any money for him just sitting in a closet and its price is unlikely to double in 2 years, and he's also got another to build if he wants in the meantime.

To me, MISB sets are just boxes, and boxes aren't much fun unless you can exchange them for cash. But everyone is different I guess.

Sounds like you better get out of the game.

Since you're getting out, why do you just hand over the Carousel.  /* attempts Jedi mind trick

I know he said he picked up extra 10179's at one time because his wife questioned him on them if my memory serves.

Perhaps he wants to make some other members worthy for those who look down upon us and offer some pretty good member deals.

:)

ROFL