STAR WARS VII - "The Force Awakens" - Movie Discussion

gregpj

Latest rumor - Leia reluctantly uses Death Star 3 (not joking) to destroy a planet where there is a Jedi detecting tool.  On the planet are many innocents.

So does this result in a UCS Death Star 3 or a UCS "Jedi sensing" planet-sized device?

That would be just like the Empire/remnants/Sith... using "human" shields. *shakes fist*

Latest rumor - Leia reluctantly uses Death Star 3 (not joking) to destroy a planet where there is a Jedi detecting tool.  On the planet are many innocents.

So does this result in a UCS Death Star 3 or a UCS "Jedi sensing" planet-sized device?

Here's a link to that rumor.  Don't click on it unless you want to read rumor details.

But wow a Lego Death Star III now that would really mess up everyone who was saying it is impossible there would be another SW movie with another Death Star. LOL.

Perhaps that is why the current one may retire by end of this year for them to have a UCS one as sauromosis suggests.  Great find!

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2015/02/03/star-wars-episode-7-spoilers-the-rebels-are-building-a-death-star-2655103?lt_source=external,manual

I don't buy another Death Star being in Episode 7.  There's an entire universe to explore and going back to the same plot line from 4 and 6 just seems lazy.  

Cue Star Trek: Into Darkness :D :D :D

In any case, Leia is the last person who would want to step into any incarnation of DS, well unless she turns Sith..

Edited by Darth_Raichu

I do not know if somebody already posted this but latest rumor that new SW movie will be released in summer ( 6 month earlier b4 announced release in December)....

^source?

I saw a couple stories the other day quoting JJ saying he's asked for it to be moved up.

Honestly I think that's a nightmare with regards to merchandising coordination. Maybe there's still time but production schedules are going to have to shift left big time.

I read multiple repeat articles on this.

With Avengers coming out and with the West Coast port strike looming and further slow down in place just recently due to management locking out ports on weekends at least once so far I think it would be a disaster of epic proportions for both merchandising and revenue.

The idea that if someone knows the plot will not go see it sounds preposterous to me.

Really?  The plot for movies in full written down is not available on day 2 of the movie on the internet and everyone stops going to see it immediately?

Well I guess Star Wars better have all $2 billion of movie revenue occur on day 1 or it will be a waste

I guess it could happen but I could go on about how ridiculous I think this is and a major bad financial move for Disney.

I think it would depend on how much sooner they are looking at releasing the film.  Many companies holding the license (most notably Hasbro) will probably have product in their warehouse well in advance of the movie with a strict street date printed on every box.  If they were to move up the release to say August they might be able to work this out, but I'm sure it would be a nightmare for their licensing division since contracts have already been signed.  Though it's also possible that Disney has an option in the current contracts to move up the release date if they so choose.  

Directors usually ask for more time to tidy up editing, special effects, etc.  Less time usually means rushed job

Plus, this is Star Wars we are talking about.  Fans still watched episode 1 in theaters multiple times just to make sure they truly experienced how terrible that movie was. :D

Edited by Darth_Raichu
  • Like 1

Hmmm, it appears this might happen.  Imagine the sourcing headaches of Lego...revamp the entire Star Wars line, now get it out months before originally anticipated (and the christmas rush goes away). 

Add in potential shipping problems with these port slowdowns...could explain a lot of what we saw last Christmas with stores running out of product.

It's got to be a nightmare in Billund figuring all this out.  It could result in some star wars sets (cough Death Star) being retired sooner in order to clear out space for Force Awakens sets, just speculation.

Well since the Lego were reported to be coming in September, they could easily move the movie up as well. In fact, i'd rather the movie actually came BEFORE the toys for once. I highly doubt Hasbro would change their schedule as far as toys though. They were obviously late for Rebels. This would be no different. Also consider that this may have been Disney's plan all along and this is just smokescreen to make it look like new news. 

It all makes perfect sense.

First JJ Abrams & Kennedy want a traditional May 2016 date.  Iger is insistent on a December 2015 date.

Things are bad enough it may even be why JJ Abrams will not be doing Episode VIII and IX.

JJ Abrams & Kennedy agree to the December 2015 date.

Yep things going great.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/J-J-Abrams-Fighting-With-Disney-About-Star-Wars-Episode-VII-Release-Date-43646.html

Now things are going so well and so ahead of schedule even with Harrison Ford's injury that they want to move the release date up to May 2015 right when Avengers 2 is going to happen or July 4th.  Somewhere in there.
Yeah JJ Abrams does a complete apology and moves it a year ahead of when he wanted and not just 6 months which he was upset about.
So now lets release the movie and have all the toys stuck in the west coast port docks because having merchandise available during the movie is not important.
Lets load up the stores with the merchandise 3 months after the movie comes out.  It can't possibly effect sales.

Yes I see it all now.  Like I said I will probably eat crow but this is absolutely ridiculous.
  • Like 1

Also, rumblings of people involved in the production who say that they are just rehashing old ideas.  A third death star is so over the top stupid...people complained in 1983 that "Jedi" using a second death star was lame.  I'm a big fan and I get the first two confused.  Whenever people talk about Bothan spies I always mistakenly think of the first death star.

Now we'll have three death stars and probably three spinoff movies about how the plans were found/stolen (my own sarcasm).

I still believe that this movie will be better than Attack of the Clones but you can see the negativity start creeping into the spoiler sites.

I am surprised he doesn't want the extra 6 months for gratuitous lens flare generation.

(I love JJ but just saw Star Trek, what a disaster...I am worried about SW)

The new ST movies looked more like SW movies than ST 1-10 or the TV series.  In that sense JJ was the perfect choice to direct SW VII. 

On lens flares, I thought people were advised against playing drinking games while watching JJ movies to avoid alcohol poisoning :D

• Like 1

It all makes perfect sense.

First JJ Abrams & Kennedy want a traditional May 2016 date.  Iger is insistent on a December 2015 date.

Things are bad enough it may even be why JJ Abrams will not be doing Episode VIII and IX.

JJ Abrams & Kennedy agree to the December 2015 date.

Yep things going great.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/J-J-Abrams-Fighting-With-Disney-About-Star-Wars-Episode-VII-Release-Date-43646.html

Now things are going so well and so ahead of schedule even with Harrison Ford's injury that they want to move the release date up to May 2015 right when Avengers 2 is going to happen or July 4th.  Somewhere in there.
Yeah JJ Abrams does a complete apology and moves it a year ahead of when he wanted and not just 6 months which he was upset about.
So now lets release the movie and have all the toys stuck in the west coast port docks because having merchandise available during the movie is not important.
Lets load up the stores with the merchandise 3 months after the movie comes out.  It can't possibly effect sales.

Yes I see it all now.  Like I said I will probably eat crow but this is absolutely ridiculous.

Avengers 2 is opening the first weekend in May (May 1, the day before Free Comic Book Day).

Well to be fair, the dock problems are not Disney or Hasbro's fault. It is what it is. And the truth of the matter is: this movie is not going to live up to all the hype. Same as Phantom Menace hype and the big let down. Will it make money? Yes, it's Star Wars. Will it set a new record? Yes, it has the original cast. Will the story be everything fans have been hoping for? Probably not by a longshot. So it really doesn't matter when they release it. Besides, in a few years, people will be burned out with movie after movie being churned out at record pace.