STAR WARS VII - "The Force Awakens" - Movie Discussion

gregpj

Well, even if there is a new UCS Falcon now, it is based on the newer version with the different radar dish, so IMO, it won't have a negative affect on the old 10179. If anything, it will be positive in that people will want both versions.

It will have different minifigs of the new characters too. Like an old Han Solo?

It makes sense that the new dish is square since Lando knocked the old one off in ROTJ.

It will have different minifigs of the new characters too. Like an old Han Solo?

It makes sense that the new dish is square since Lando knocked the old one off in ROTJ.

Both good points.  If the ship remains the same basic design with a few tweaks here and there as to indicate repairs or improvements, the older versions of the ship will not be affected IMO.  This looks to be the case.  It really is the best of both worlds.  There will be a whole new batch of highly collectible sets being released and the older versions will bump up in price from the renewed interest in everything STAR WARS.  

so do I sell my one, first edition 10179 for this Christmas or hang on to it another year?

I would be asking if investing the money made from selling it, would make more money than any potential increase in price.

You could probably double whatever you make from selling it through smart investments, much sooner than its price will ever double.

I would be asking if investing the money made from selling it, would make more money than any potential increase in price.

You could probably double whatever you make from selling it through smart investments, much sooner than its price will ever double.

If you're in this game solely to make money then you have to not get sentimental about sets. You're point is logical but it would take a strong man to part with the holy grail. Probably never will there be a more valuable and iconic set than the original UCS Falcon.
  • Like 1

If you're in this game solely to make money then you have to not get sentimental about sets. You're point is logical but it would take a strong man to part with the holy grail. Probably never will there be a more valuable and iconic set than the original UCS Falcon.

Especially if the next Falcon is a 3000-3500 piece play set.  The 10179 will reach levels no one could have imagined.  

Especially if the next Falcon is a 3000-3500 piece play set.  The 10179 will reach levels no one could have imagined.  

On that logic, I can see how someone could justify investing in sealed 10179s now, seriously. If Lego doesn`t release any competition, the sky really could be the limit. $10000? $15000? More? Anyone`s guess. 

On that logic, I can see how someone could justify investing in sealed 10179s now, seriously. If Lego doesn`t release any competition, the sky really could be the limit. $10000? $15000? More? Anyone`s guess.

Many people would probably think your crazy but in the past year I've seen this grow from around 3K to around 4k. It's one of those investments that not very many will make but those who do will probably make a killing and be selling it for 6k-7k by the time it hits DVD.