STAR WARS VII - "The Force Awakens" - Movie Discussion

gregpj

Apparently I am in the minority, but I thought the flaming lightsaberISH claymore was lame.

I'm not too big of a fan of it either but maybe is serves some functional purpose. I theorized that maybe it's an ancient Sith saber since it looks unstable by the cracklings of the main light blade and the other two are vents since there's a slight delay between main shaft and the sides. Or could just have been built to intimidate enemies. Who knows til the movie comes out really but all likelihood is JJ being flashy and getting some kids hyped up for something that "looks awesome"

Love the new lightsaber, as did my son and his friend whose twin reaction was, and I quote, "Whoaaaaaaa, kewl!!!!" I don't see how the side wrist protectors are any more dangerous than a bo staff with twin blades on the end while you're twirling it around like a maniac. It's only unsafe if you don't know how to use it. The guy holding this thing is surely better than so many Americans are with their handguns who still manage to injure themselves with a much less dangerous hilt despite lesson 1 being "Point it away from you". 

I'm not impressed... but then I've never been a fan of teasers. No plot to latch onto - all flash, no substance, basically.  

So what I got from it:

1. Tattooine may be furthest from the bright center of the galaxy, but it is still where everything happens.

2. These ain't our kids' daddys' stormtroopers. That first facial expression is disconcerting - in SO many ways.

3. R2 won't be flying all over the place. Maybe the bowling ball droid will be cool... how is it going to interact with other characters?

4. Girls like to ride fudgesicles. Especially in the desert.

5. X-Wings are now jet-skis (seems more like Surface Wars than Star Wars)

6. Instead of cheesy jet-powered R2 (prequel pet-peeve), we have a cheesy looking lightsaber. That design better be relevant in some way. Grrr.

5. MF returns with a go-pro. I'm fine with some old-school TIEs. But again, Surface Wars.

What I didn't get from it:

1. ANY sense of what the title means.

2. A hint of epic scope or "save the galaxy"-esque qualities.

3. Excitement.

To be fair, my expectations are DRASTICALLY reduced after the colossal let-down that was TPM and that which followed. I know, so much is different this time - but fool me once...

Anyway, I very much hope to have my mind changed with further (actual) trailers.

From my perspective, J.J. Abrams gets the benefit of doubt.

He has given us:

Lost

The recent Star Treks

MI: 3

Super 8 (absolutely outstanding film)

Cloverfield (another incredible film)

... and has focused his work on being LESS CGI-dependent, and more story development, character-development, and old-school filming techniques that feel much more authentic (ex: puppeteered Yoda (awesome) versus CGI Yoda (sad.).

Thank GOD Michael Bay wasn't given this project.

Honestly, I can't think of another director more qualified to handle this material.

I believe he'll do for SW what Jackson did for LOTR, and what Sam Raime did for Spiderman 1-2.

Here's to hoping.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

From my perspective, J.J. Abrams gets the benefit of doubt.

He has given us:

Lost

The recent Star Treks

MI: 3

Super 8 (absolutely outstanding film)

Cloverfield (another incredible film)

... and has focused his work on being LESS CGI-dependent, and more story development, character-development, and old-school filming techniques that feel much more authentic (ex: puppeteered Yoda (awesome) versus CGI Yoda (sad.).

Thank GOD Michael Bay wasn't given this project.

Honestly, I can't think of another director more qualified to handle this material.

I believe he'll do for SW what Jackson did for LOTR, and what Sam Raime did for Spiderman 1-2.

Here's to hoping.

I agree with this.  Just wait until people get their first glimpse of Han Solo or Luke Skywalker and people will forget any minor issues they are worrying about now.  

OK now we are all saying we will love the movie (which I will) after everyone except me piled on about the trailer that came out and how horrible it was.  I remember something about a girl riding on a turd. hehehe.

No way. I did not say the trailer was bad.  I even complemented the new light-"claymore".

I have been using SW1 & SW2 to set the bar and cannot loose either way :P