STAR WARS VII - "The Force Awakens" - Movie Discussion

gregpj

Avengers 2 is opening the first weekend in May (May 1, the day before Free Comic Book Day).

Exactly maybe if they did a completely stupid move of releasing Episode VII on May 1st as well to minimize revenue draw between their two tranches vs doing them 6 months apart.  I think Avengers was the first movie to hit 1$ billion or something like that in box office.  IE I think it would be a major financial mistake for them to put the two close together.

Well to be fair, the dock problems are not Disney or Hasbro's fault. It is what it is. And the truth of the matter is: this movie is not going to live up to all the hype. Same as Phantom Menace hype and the big let down. Will it make money? Yes, it's Star Wars. Will it set a new record? Yes, it has the original cast. Will the story be everything fans have been hoping for? Probably not by a longshot. So it really doesn't matter when they release it. Besides, in a few years, people will be burned out with movie after movie being churned out at record pace. 

The dock is not their issue at all I agree but if they decided to move the release of the movie up so much that merchandise could not be in stores because of the time to get through the docks, then that would be their fault.  I do not see them being that bad.

Avengers 2 is opening the first weekend in May (May 1, the day before Free Comic Book Day).

Then moving SW VII up to ANY week in May 2015 is not just stupid, it is suicidal.  It would mean less repeat viewers as both movies share a lot of the same core audience.  I do not think Disney is that stupid to release 2 of their biggest blockbusters within a few weeks of each other.

Exactly maybe if they did a completely stupid move of releasing Episode VII on May 1st as well to minimize revenue draw between their two tranches vs doing them 6 months apart.  I think Avengers was the first movie to hit 1$ billion or something like that in box office.  IE I think it would be a major financial mistake for them to put the two close together.

There were a dozen movies to hit $1 billion worldwide before Avengers, but I get your point.  Putting the two next to each other isn't smart, especially since they're coming from the same studio.  No way they would have this ready to go in May 2015 anyways.

Edited by zskid00

Will the story be everything fans have been hoping for? Probably not by a longshot.

I think people need to temper their expectations a little... or maybe a lot. Everyone always wants bigger, better, fancier stories. So then they try that and people complain the movies are too long... So they shorten them and add a little special effects magic and people complain the story is lacking... So they try to make original movies and people complain that they've never made any more Star Wars movies... etc.

I seriously ask, why can't people just accept these new movies for what they are?

I personally can't wait. I don't care if they aren't as "EPIC" as the originals were.. they'll be fun, entertaining, and they're f-ing Star Wars. How bad could they be?

<on a side note, no I didn't like Jar Jar but yes I did like the new trilogy and I've watched them several times even though the OT were IMO better>

Related to LEGO, I think we're seeing this with Sets like Helicarrier. People want these huge sets then complain that they're too expensive. LEGO releases an reasonable cost/size model and everyone says awww, I wanted the big one. Then there are the parents who want value for their money then complain that they just wanted basic bricks for little Timmy and Jennifer.

• Like 1

There were a dozen movies to hit $1 billion worldwide before Avengers, but I get your point. Putting the two next to each other isn't smart, especially since they're coming from the same studio. No way they would have this ready to go in May 2015 anyways.

Exactly. I think it is just a bad rumor

Avengers had some kind of record revenue statistic

Maybe 1st to a billion unadjusted for inflation?

Or 1st marvel at a billion

Can't remember

Moving this up will damage the box office and overall effect of Star Wars VII. Avengers 2 has been known to be coming out in May for a long time now and if Disney moved Star Wars up it wouldn't have time create as large of hype vs. waiting until December. Doing this movie in the summer will hurt their merchandise too. Companies are expecting the December date and the chances of them having everything ready by July or May is screaming QFLL to the max. I believe Disney will wait because Star Wars was a major purchase and they will want to do it right.

I think people need to temper their expectations a little... or maybe a lot. Everyone always wants bigger, better, fancier stories. So then they try that and people complain the movies are too long... So they shorten them and add a little special effects magic and people complain the story is lacking... So they try to make original movies and people complain that they've never made any more Star Wars movies... etc.

I seriously ask, why can't people just accept these new movies for what they are?

I personally can't wait. I don't care if they aren't as "EPIC" as the originals were.. they'll be fun, entertaining, and they're f-ing Star Wars. How bad could they be?

<on a side note, no I didn't like Jar Jar but yes I did like the new trilogy and I've watched them several times even though the OT were IMO better>

Related to LEGO, I think we're seeing this with Sets like Helicarrier. People want these huge sets then complain that they're too expensive. LEGO releases an reasonable cost/size model and everyone says awww, I wanted the big one. Then there are the parents who want value for their money then complain that they just wanted basic bricks for little Timmy and Jennifer.

I agree with all of this. I like all the Star Wars movies. I'll go see this one whether it comes out in May, December or whenever. Unless you were a kid in '77 when you saw Star Wars for the first time, there's no way this is going to have the same impact. Nostalgia and all that. It will take you to a galaxy far, far away though. Enjoy it for what it is. Same with the toys and lego. It will show up when it shows up. There will still be demand for it regardless. Although i think the sheer number of Star Wars sets this year is going to hurt a lot of wallets and possibly turn some away from trying to collect all of it. 

• 2 weeks later...

guys, think with your heads first. No movie is coming out on the 1st of May or any time before the 18th of December! I am super impatient too, but refuse to believe stupid rumours!

One thing that MIGHT be show up soon (why not on the 4th of May) is another trailer ....

Information leaked that some new super aliens from outside of the SW-Galaxy will enter the scene (if you know the books of the expanded universe you might know the scenario already).

Luke who has become the mightiest of all Jedi ever will have to use some superforce stuff to fight them.

Not only will they have to work together with the Sith (yeah there are still some sith lingering around... they always say there are none left... but what they mean is: there are as many left as people need for a good story...).

The aliens that invade the SW galaxy will not be able to use the force but neither will they be affected by direct force attacks.

Also information leaked that these will be the very same aliens that have been featured in the latest "Indiana Jones" movie (which I personally wouldn't count to the Indiana Jones series...). So Luke will need the help of his old archaeology professor Dr. ****.S. Jones who works part time as smuggler... better known as Han Solo.

Together with an aged team of not-so-super-anymore-heroes that have a lot of experience! he will fight back!

At one point C3PO turns to the new Darth Vader, while getting confused during a stand up performance where he is immitating his voice. (No Ewoks where killed during filming, but the co-producer J.J.Bings got seriously injured...).

Also it will be revealed if R2D2 can fly in the new movies (like in Episode I-III) or if he can't... (like in the original triology).

Stay tuned for more Episode VII news!

Edited by Locutus001
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

hmmm, Death Star III ? don't like the sound of that, all very well tipping your hat to tradition, and giving the new movie a more nostigic feel.
But I think they need to blaze there own trail, and shake the lucas hoodoo.
Keep JJ on for the next two movies, to keep his vision of the new trilogy intact.
Not that keen on trying to milk this francise for all its worth, with spin off movies, Keep Star Wars special, don't cheapen it.

Some of  what we learned (Lego-wise) from the latest trailer?

• Good chance we'll be seeing a revamped version of the ISD (maybe even UCS).
  • Han Solo minifig should be sporting light bluish gray hair.  Chewie has zero gray though.
  • Lots of new Stormtrooper versions will be released including snow, chrome and regular.
  • Not sure how BB8 will look now that we know he's round with a auto-level dome.
  • If Kylo Ren is a "Darth" will he be Darth Revan?
  • We found new uses for our Vader helmets.
  • We might have our 3rd released Stormtrooper minifig that comes with both a helmet & hair.
  • New Tie-Fighters will have light side / solar panels with a revised minifig (red stripe on helmet).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngElkyQ6Rhs

• Like 1

• Han Solo minifig should be sporting light bluish gray hair.  Chewie has zero gray though.
  • Lots of new Stormtrooper versions will be released including snow, chrome and regular.
  • Not sure how BB8 will look now that we know he's round with a auto-level dome.
  • We might have our 3rd released Stormtrooper minifig that comes with both a helmet & hair.
  • New Tie-Fighters will have light side / solar panels with a revised minifig (red stripe on helmet).

">

• Like 2

Yeah, good to see R2 in there. That set could hit nice heights over the next few years.

The new Star Destroyer was interesting too. Not all that different from the old one, but different enough. Love to opening shot with the old SD buried in the sand.

And wasn't that an upside down SSD the MF and the Tie flew into during that dogfight?

">

• Like 1