10214 - Tower Bridge

M4x18

Way off topic here....Bigger question is why do some odd ball sets last for 5 years & others for 6 months.....  It can't be just about the molds & sales right?  Does anyone remember if 10-15 years ago it was more consistent on when items retired?

It has to be about the sales.

Sadly, I think you are way overestimating the potential for this set (TB). The Town Hall was a short production run. It was not hoarded. The SSD was too expensive to hoard and has the new movies to stir interest. The Tower Bridge is highly stockpiled and is a British landmark. Many Americans have zero idea what or where it is.

100% agree with this post, but you can add many other countries, even inside europe...

Nice investing set for UK BP members, because you also have to consider its weight and size box.

Most stockpiled sets:

Grand Emporium

Volkswagen T1 Camper Van

Fire Brigade

Superman Vs Power Armor Lex

R2-D2

Tower Bridge

The Dynamic Duo Funhouse Escape

Pet Shop

Haunted House

GE and T1 were super obvious.

I can't say I'm happy to see the HH inside this top, but it's not that surprising for the USA (Halloween obviously)

I understand now why some people are disappointed (even upset) with the Funhouse.

The superman vs lex surprises me.

Of courses, this list doesn't 100% apply to Europe (I'm even not sure that this superman set is in the top 100 here :) )

I highly appreciate this list, thanks. :victory:

The success of the HH tells me that this list doesn't really mean much but I appreciate you providing it.

That's because lots of investors are planning to keep it for a while. If most of us decided to unload them now, this set would be around $250 on ebay.

We don't learn about it in school or see it on TV.

The same here.

No offense to Tabbyboy but that's not because this bridge has been seen on TV screens during olympic games in 2012 that it means it will become a popular lego set outside UK in 2019. Far too optimistic if you ask me...

Again, I have no doubt about the potential of this set inside UK. :)

It's pretty obvious now everyone is dying for the top 20-50 list. It should be it's own thread at this point as this has barely been about tower bridge all day.

A dedicated topic would be great indeed.

I maintain my brickfolio like a monk. Not sure if everyone does that.

I don't, so I finally erased all my BP datas (I prefer to use my excel datas).

Edited by biniou

Not everyone is a believer in Superhero sets.  I am not.  Because of the Chinese knockoffs, many of these Superhero sets can lose tremendous value. It will be pretty hard to replicate a MISB 10211.  Not too hard to replicate the whole DC Comics and Marvel Superheroes minifigure line.  They are currently selling for 40 minifigures for $40.  Who is going to pay top dollar for a Power Armor Lex set when you can buy the figures for $3?  

I am not too concerned with the chinese knock-offs. If you look at recent minifigs from the Superheoroes line - they still sell well, some of them for very high $ (even with the cheap knock-offs). The Superheroes minifig values are likely higher than the minifigs from other comparably retired themes (even with the chinese knockoffs).

The buyers of the $40 for 40 minifigs, would never pay for a real Deadpool, and the buyers of a real Deadpool won't be buying the 40 for $40.

I think it is not much more to worry about than one might be worrying about Mega Bloks or Best Loc.

• Like 1

I am not too concerned with the chinese knock-offs. If you look at recent minifigs from the Superheoroes line - they still sell well, some of them for very high $ (even with the cheap knock-offs). The Superheroes minifig values are likely higher than the minifigs from other comparably retired themes (even with the chinese knockoffs).

The buyers of the $40 for 40 minifigs, would never pay for a real Deadpool, and the buyers of a real Deadpool won't be buying the 40 for $40.

I think it is not much more to worry about than one might be worrying about Mega Bloks or Best Loc.

But how will you know it's a real Deadpool until it's too late.? If it hasn't started already, you will have non-Chinese sellers buying knockoffs and passing them off as legit. Then once people start questioning the validity of minifigures, it's a downward spiral.
  • Like 3

But how will you know it's a real Deadpool until it's too late.? If it hasn't started already, you will have non-Chinese sellers buying knockoffs and passing them off as legit. Then once people start questioning the validity of minifigures, it's a downward spiral.

And should that happen, the sealed sets *should* gain value as your "guarantee of authenticity."

In a perfect world, of course. In a perfect world...

Then why have the Superheroes minifigs performed so well, even with the super cheap knockoffs?

If they ever truly make a duplicate (where you can not tell the difference), then we would have a problem. It actually does happen once in a while (high quality knockoffs), but never (so far) in mass distribution. I would assume that the cost of quality is too high (as it is for LEGO).

Then why have the Superheroes minifigs performed so well, even with the super cheap knockoffs?

If they ever truly make a duplicate (where you can not tell the difference), then we would have a problem. It actually does happen once in a while (high quality knockoffs), but never (so far) in mass distribution. I would assume that the cost of quality is too high (as it is for LEGO).

The problem is relatively new and the con men and women are just starting to fine tune their scams.   But rest assured, the knockoffs will improve with LEGO being produced in China.  I am not saying it is an immediate issue, but moving forward, Superhero sets are at risk in my opinion, unless LEGO does something to prevent counterfeiting.

Guest TabbyBoy

And what exactly does that have to do with Chinese knockoffs???

And... what do fakes have to do with the TB thread? It's not been copied yet as far as I know. Any serious buyer paying good money will avoid the BELA brand anyway. I've seen one of the shelf at John Lewis with code 47S4 so it ain't done just yet. Maybe Dec'15?

The problem is relatively new and the con men and women are just starting to fine tune their scams.   But rest assured, the knockoffs will improve with LEGO being produced in China.  I am not saying it is an immediate issue, but moving forward, Superhero sets are at risk in my opinion, unless LEGO does something to prevent counterfeiting.

Ed, thanks for the input and I agree with your concern regarding LEGO's new production factory in China.  I immediately thought of this interesting article regarding Bassett Furniture and the Chinese theft of Bassett intellectual property (furniture designs) and subsequent undercutting Bassett in the market: http://www.npr.org/2014/07/14/331356258/how-a-factory-man-fought-to-save-his-furniture-company

This relates to the Tower Bridge because the book that inspired the article is by Beth Macy, who is a reporter for the Roanake Times.  The Roanoke Colony was an attempt by Queen Elizabeth I to establish a permanent English settlement in the late 1500's.  Queen Elizabeth I ruled England from 1558 to 1603, which is 283 years before the real Tower Bridge started construction.

• Like 5

This relates to the Tower Bridge because the book that inspired the article is by Beth Macy, who is a reporter for the Roanake Times. The Roanoke Colony was an attempt by Queen Elizabeth I to establish a permanent English settlement in the late 1500's. Queen Elizabeth I ruled England from 1558 to 1603, which is 283 years before the real Tower Bridge started construction.

Hahaha...post of the day right there. Good stuff.

Ed, thanks for the input and I agree with your concern regarding LEGO's new production factory in China.  I immediately thought of this interesting article regarding Bassett Furniture and the Chinese theft of Bassett intellectual property (furniture designs) and subsequent undercutting Bassett in the market: http://www.npr.org/2014/07/14/331356258/how-a-factory-man-fought-to-save-his-furniture-company

This relates to the Tower Bridge because the book that inspired the article is by Beth Macy, who is a reporter for the Roanake Times.  The Roanoke Colony was an attempt by Queen Elizabeth I to establish a permanent English settlement in the late 1500's.  Queen Elizabeth I ruled England from 1558 to 1603, which is 283 years before the real Tower Bridge started construction.

Thank you for your article.  The biggest danger to LEGO investment is not a bubble, but counterfeits in my opinion.  Before you know it, batches of bulk bricks will be hitting eBay, Bricklink and BrickOwl...

• Like 1

I collect transformers also and future sales for Masterpiece transformers went out the window when China started to knock everything off.  With their newest release Takara Tomy has a stamp of Vietnam on their new figures so I am incredibly happy that these Chinese scumbags wont get to continue knocking off Takara Tomy's product.

The problem is relatively new and the con men and women are just starting to fine tune their scams. But rest assured, the knockoffs will improve with LEGO being produced in China. I am not saying it is an immediate issue, but moving forward, Superhero sets are at risk in my opinion, unless LEGO does something to prevent counterfeiting.

They won't. They can't. You know who is bigger then lego, the NFL.... And they cant stop it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Brickpicker mobile app

The tower bridge will go in a few weeks. My logic is this thread. Same thing happened to town hall. Got changed to town hall land other topics or such then bam gone...... I know I'm stretching and causing drama. :)

Ther is a difference on Town Hall the first post was Ed said this thread is about to get busy then it all started

No such post this time

• Like 1

Alot of people aren't considering the future and even present demand from buyers in Canada, Australia, Korea, and Japan etc.  I've sold some sets over the last few weeks to those countries and it's pretty easy to ship to Kentucky.  The demand will be there from people just getting into Lego or buying from the US on Ebay to ship overseas and sell in their own shops over there. I know because I've sold to 3 different asian investors already.

• Like 1

Alot of people aren't considering the future and even present demand from buyers in Canada, Australia, Korea, and Japan etc. I've sold some sets over the last few weeks to those countries and it's pretty easy to ship to Kentucky. The demand will be there from people just getting into Lego or buying from the US on Ebay to ship overseas and sell in their own shops over there. I know because I've sold to 3 different asian investors already.

I'll handle the canada volume for you and they won't have to pay for import taxes