10214 - Tower Bridge

M4x18

I am not so certain that I subscribe to the theory that Americans won't buy something if the don't know what is it or where it is from. It's the third largest set ever made and the two in front of it are taking names! Plus it is very well received compared to more expensive sets like SOH, and why limit just selling domestically anyways?

Most stockpiled sets:

Grand Emporium

Volkswagen T1 Camper Van

Fire Brigade

Superman Vs Power Armor Lex

R2-D2

Tower Bridge

The Dynamic Duo Funhouse Escape

Pet Shop

Haunted House

I know the numbers may not accurate but can you list the total count for these sets? Are we talking thousands or tens of thousands?

Guest TabbyBoy

I was replying to tabbyboy, sorry!

Sorry that I failed miserably to help you, I was just trying to help.  However, it's up to you if you want to buy one, nobody is forcing you to.

Edited by TabbyBoy

Guest TabbyBoy

I'm so glad that my most-heavily-invested set is not in Ed's top 10. The GE is doing OK and performance like that for the TB is not to be sniffed at. I'm surprised that "many Americans" don't know what/where it is. This bridge was adorned with the Olympic rings in 2012 and I think a little more than 6 people may have watched the Olympics Worldwide? Every American I know is nearly as aware of British landmarks as I am. I'm as patriotic as they get hence, I am a little biased. My 2p/2C worth.

I'm so glad that my most-heavily-invested set is not in Ed's top 10. The GE is doing OK and performance like that for the TB is not to be sniffed at. I'm surprised that "many Americans" don't know what/where it is. This bridge was adorned with the Olympic rings in 2012 and I think a little more than 6 people may have watched the Olympics Worldwide? Every American I know is nearly as aware of British landmarks as I am. I'm as patriotic as they get hence, I am a little biased. My 2p/2C worth.

I have one for my personnel collection and probably will never build it based on the reviews. I can't speak for my country, and not meant to be offensive but we don't know about or care about the Tower Bridge. We don't learn about it in school or see it on TV. It would be interesting to do a random survey stop 100 people on the street and show them a picture and ask them what it is and where it is. I would guesstimate 10% would know the answer. For some reason we all know Big Ben.

That being said we are a stupid self-centered lot when it comes to world geogrophy. I think the only 2 bridges people know in the USA nationwide are the Golden Gate and the Brooklyn (by name only) and if you did the same test the scores wouldn't be that much higher.

I just don't see the demand in the USA for this set as an iconic landmark like the Eiffel Tower. People may have other reasons to buy, high piece count, display, but once gone I don't think many will care.

Edited by Pseudoty
  • Like 1

I guess Ciglione refers to the european market. I have the same feeling like him. In my opinion TB will perform very good in europe, i have 8 right now and would like to get 7 more for a total of 15. 

Thanks Eyebrow40, that is exactly what I meant to say. I know a lot of people that want it (Europeans) but still did not buy it cause they think it will always be available. When it is gone, they will search for it and buy it. 

Only time will proof who is right and who is wrong. If there is a right and a wrong anyways. 

Thanks Eyebrow40, that is exactly what I meant to say. I know a lot of people that want it (Europeans) but still did not buy it cause they think it will always be available. When it is gone, they will search for it and buy it. 

Only time will proof who is right and who is wrong. If there is a right and a wrong anyways. 

I don't think anyone is right or wrong. It's still a solid investment, but others may perform better and others may not.

Guest TabbyBoy

I have one for my personnel collection and probably will never build it based on the reviews. I can't speak for my country, and not meant to be offensive but we don't know about or care about the Tower Bridge. We don't learn about it in school or see it on TV. It would be interesting to do a random survey stop 100 people on the street and show them a picture and ask them what it is and where it is. I would guesstimate 10% would know the answer. For some reason we all know Big Ben.

That being said we are a stupid self-centered lot when it comes to world geogrophy. I think the only 2 bridges people know in the USA nationwide are the Golden Gate and the Brooklyn (by name only) and if you did the same test the scores wouldn't be that much higher.

I just don't see the demand in the USA for this set as an iconic landmark like the Eiffel Tower. People may have other reasons to buy, high piece count, display, but once gone I don't think many will care.

Did you know that London Bridge is in the USA? LOL

I've actually been to 31 of the 50 US states, where one of my colleagues in Dallas hasn't even left Texas yet!

As Ciglione stated, I think the UK & Europe will be the best market for this.  It suits me as I never ship big sets overseas anyway, too much risk.  It works both ways as I'd not be particularly interested in the Golden Gate Bridge which is also an engineering marvel even though I've been across it more times than Tower Bridge!

Guest TabbyBoy

Oh, thanks Ed for the "Top 10".  I still think that it may not be a correct indicator of what AFOLs hoard Worldwide as the biggest "warehouses" I've seen belong to collectors/investors who play their cards close to their chest and are no longer forum members. That considered, I still think we all own a tiny percentage of what's been produced and there's potential builders being born every second.

I know not everyone likes the TB and I personally can't stand the SOH set even though I've been there too and respect the real thing.

Yeah, I know it's just anecdotal evidence by all of us, but I'm a bit surprised to hear about US citizens who have never heard of the tower bridge. That's not what I'm seeing from where I'm at. Granted, I don't know the ins-and-outs of it's history. I know the landmark immediately though when I see it. I think that most of my friends and work colleagues could identify the tower bridge as well.

Also, when I would sing "London Bridge is Falling down" as a child, this was the bridge I would think of (yes, I know it's wrong). Innocently, I thought by "falling down", they were simply lowering the bridge... haha.

Also, I think this is a great set and a great value. I'm torn on whether to invest or not. I get the feeling (because I have no real data it's just a feeling) the TB is heavily bought by investors. I just don't know that there will be enough demand post-retirement vs the supply sitting there, waiting to be sold, to have a steady rise. With the uncertainty of it's retirement, I may hold off. I just don't have enough cash flow for lego investment yet to make this one of my holdings. If I had more, I would buy in though and let it sit.

Edited by P_R_Rice

You know a lot of smart Americans.  Most are asleep and uninformed.  They are too busy looking at Facebook and Snapchat.

• Like 5

Sadly most of us Americans have never heard of the Tower Bridge.  But we all know about London Bridge! 

I only recently found out about the Tower Bridge thru Lego.  And at first I thought Tower Bridge and London Bridge were the same thing!  But shocked to find out they're not.

With that said, it's not iconic to most people here in America.  But it is a beautiful looking bridge. 

Something that could boost the popularity in this Lego set in the future, would be if there's an epic Movie that comes out involving the Tower Bridge.

Perhaps an Avengers movie with a final battle on the Tower Bridge or something.  Then everyone will know what the Tower Bridge is.

However, long-term this Lego set should do well.  This is most likely the only Tower Bridge set that Lego will ever make.  And like I said, it takes a big movie or 2 featuring the Tower Bridge to expose awareness to people all over the world.  Awareness will be there, but is it going to be popular enough? will it be in demand enough?  Will people want to pay over $500 for this?  Sure owners will want to sell this for $1000+, but will there be any takers or are you gonna be stuck with over 20 of these waiting til the day you die?  But then again, maybe demand will be high and buyers will buy!  :)

Ed, can you clarify what the top-10 represents? Is it most collected meaning the highest percentage of being included in a portfolio? Or is it total count? I am guessing the former, as I can't imagine more GE are being held than Superman/Lex if we are talking absolute number of sets. If 90% of portfolios include a GE, that doesn't worry me as much as 100,000 GE being held in portfolios, to make up some numbers.

The other grain of salt is obviously that not everyone updates their portfolio, but I'm sure directionally these are good.

Ed, can you clarify what the top-10 represents? Is it most collected meaning the highest percentage of being included in a portfolio? Or is it total count? I am guessing the former, as I can't imagine more GE are being held than Superman/Lex if we are talking absolute number of sets. If 90% of portfolios include a GE, that doesn't worry me as much as 100,000 GE being held in portfolios, to make up some numbers.

The other grain of salt is obviously that not everyone updates their portfolio, but I'm sure directionally these are good.

Perfect question (in regards to what the top ten represents)...I was wondering the same thing...

Perfect question (in regards to what the top ten represents)...I was wondering the same thing...

Number of sets in the Brickfolio system.  It is not based on dollars.  The list is the Top 11-12 sets in order from greatest to least, owned by members.