10235 - Winter Village Market

Huskers1236

Quick question guys,  I understand after reading the blog about the value of these as a continuing set but why are people still clamoring over the Santa's Workshop, is it just for a short term flip leading upto next Xmas as I thought this set kept appearing each year?   Sorry maybe this would be in the Santa's Workshop thread.   Couldn't find it.    Thank you.

Money can be made flipping Santas right now. Others want to start stocking it for next Christmas or beyond. If it follows the pattern of other winter sets it will retire at the end of this year. If you want 10 at retirement it's easier to buy one a month than 10 in November. 

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

It came back last year after being officially retired......... yawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwn.

DUPLO Creative Cars has been resurrected too ;-)

Guest TabbyBoy

Thanks guys, so is this year two or three of this set? and from what I read its a set that lasts two years at a time and they move onto the next winter village theme set?

In the UK I believe it's done 2 years.  It's anyone's guess whether it's available next Xmas or not.

you all crack me up ...

on a serious note, outatime, WVM has seen 2 xmas's already and its done ... amazon is the only one left that has it and once their stock dries up its almost a sure bet that its done ...

a new winter village set is already planned for release this fall to take its place ...

as for SW, buy now my friend ... if you seen/heard what us boys did with that set this past xmas it would be wise to jump on the bandwagon!

OK... just read most of this thread to get caught up... I have zero WVM now, but it keeps taunting me at Amazon.  I'm in the "I just don't like it" crowd.  But hey, I bought my first Friends sets today, so I'm trying to think outside of the box.  I have a few Santa's Workshop... but that has been so easy to get lately, I worry about those.  I bet Galorco has 7000 of them for next year (the SW)... and the rest of the BPers can add another 50,000 (obviously, these numbers are being pulled from a dark orifice... so ignore them).  And with the huge popularity, Lego is probably planning a double production run of SW for next year.

So that may make the WVM a contrarian bet... probably going EOL... not a big favorite for a lot of people... not stocked by stupid subjective investors like myself.  Others here have pointed out it may be the largest Winter set for a while.  Maybe next Christmas, this set blows the doors off at $175... and Santa's Workshop will be available everywhere through January 2016 at $69.99?

I'm just not convinced by my own argument.  It's not stocked by people like me... but well stocked by others on this thread.  Maybe more than enough to meet demand.  I just think a new Winter set coming out (and Santa's Workshop too) next year will keep a lid on the resale value of this one.

Edited by Kenxxx

OK... just read most of this thread to get caught up... I have zero WVM now, but it keeps taunting me at Amazon.  I'm in the "I just don't like it" crowd.  But hey, I bought my first Friends sets today, so I'm trying to think outside of the box.  I have a few Santa's Workshop... but that has been so easy to get lately, I worry about those.  I bet Galorco has 7000 of them for next year (the SW)... and the rest of the BPers can add another 50,000 (obviously, these numbers are being pulled from a dark orifice... so ignore them).  And with the huge popularity, Lego is probably planning a double production run of SW for next year.

So that may make the WVM a contrarian bet... probably going EOL... not a big favorite for a lot of people... not stocked by stupid subjective investors like myself.  Others here have pointed out it may be the largest Winter set for a while.  Maybe next Christmas, this set blows the doors off at $175... and Santa's Workshop will be available everywhere through January 2016 at $69.99?

I'm just not convinced by my own argument.  It's not stocked by people like me... but well stocked by others on this thread.  Maybe more than enough to meet demand.  I just think a new Winter set coming out (and Santa's Workshop too) next year will keep a lid on the resale value of this one.

Maybe I am trying to justify the stock I have hoarded concerning 10235...The best counter argument may be 10229.  Similar piece count, I don't recall 10229 being loved either because of the 99.99 price point.   10229 certainly isn't as interesting (to me).  However the 1st christmas after EOL (less than 10 months from vaporizing from all retailers) this set was fetching a near double on ebay (without consideration of fees and shipping).

So 65-80% take home in less than a year.  Yes it can be done better in other sets closer to retirement however this one (10235) is a no brainer to me.

The mini carousel can be paired in other builds (carnival type) and this set has 9 figs.

Decent selection of parts, some HTF or exclusive to this set.

I don't understand the argument behind not liking it (for financial purposes only).

Just say'******...felt like throwing in my 2 cents.

• Like 2

you all crack me up ...

on a serious note, outatime, WVM has seen 2 xmas's already and its done ... amazon is the only one left that has it and once their stock dries up its almost a sure bet that its done ...

a new winter village set is already planned for release this fall to take its place ...

as for SW, buy now my friend ... if you seen/heard what us boys did with that set this past xmas it would be wise to jump on the bandwagon!

I couldn't disagree more. Saying item x sold for this around Christmas so it will do the same a year later is ridiculous. I've been selling for quite awhile and I cant think of one example Where this was true.

That's the same as seeing others like mayest sell Dolphin cruiser for 100.00 two years ago and then loading up expecting to sell for the same the following year.

Sw will be plenty avaliable around the holidays for msrp. Lego has the whole year to prepare. Unwise investors have the whole year to stockpile.

Do much competition. That'd like me telling u set x will retire on this date and putting it on BP giving everyone a year them to stockpile.

If you follow your logic I'd be happy to point you to where you can purchase as many bat bots and my size elsa was your heart desires.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Brickpicker mobile app

• Like 1

"I couldn't disagree more. Saying item x sold for this around Christmas so it will do the same a year later is ridiculous. I've been selling for quite awhile and I cant think of one example Where this was true.

That's the same as seeing others like mayest sell Dolphin cruiser for 100.00 two years ago and then loading up expecting to sell for the same the following year."

_______

I think your comparison might be a bit flawed as the Dolphin Cruiser doesn't have the same production cycle/timeline as WV Sets do.

Was the DC flippable (2) x-mas's ago heck yeah.  SW was a decent flip this year.  Will it be x-mas 2015...not as likely if the last two WV Sets are any indication.

There may be plenty of SW sets for purchasing....maybe.  It has been more popular than all the recent WV sets (insert opinion).

The NEW WV Set to be released this year may be a good flip for Christmas 2015 but the older (10245) doesn't really do much in the second year of production (past history).

However if 10245 follows the current two season cycle Christmas 2016 will be the a good time to start off loading some stock and each year after that will only get better.

We all have known WV Set production cycles for at least 4 generations (10216 10222 10229 10235 10245?).  And what has happened.

Those that stockpiled the Bakery, Post Office and yeah even WV Cottage are reaping the benefits of doing so.

Yes the cheaper versions (10216 and 10222) have had better returns.

To say the next two 10235 and 10245 in line won't repeat past success may be a missed opportunity on your part.

10235 should do just fine.  10245 May become as popular as the 10199 Toy Shop.

Are the production numbers the same (i have no idea), Santa is an insanely popular figure...

I do my own thing and you will do yours.  Good luck to all the gamers.

OK... just read most of this thread to get caught up... I have zero WVM now, but it keeps taunting me at Amazon. I'm in the "I just don't like it" crowd. But hey, I bought my first Friends sets today, so I'm trying to think outside of the box. I have a few Santa's Workshop... but that has been so easy to get lately, I worry about those. I bet Galorco has 7000 of them for next year (the SW)... and the rest of the BPers can add another 50,000 (obviously, these numbers are being pulled from a dark orifice... so ignore them). And with the huge popularity, Lego is probably planning a double production run of SW for next year.

So that may make the WVM a contrarian bet... probably going EOL... not a big favorite for a lot of people... not stocked by stupid subjective investors like myself. Others here have pointed out it may be the largest Winter set for a while. Maybe next Christmas, this set blows the doors off at $175... and Santa's Workshop will be available everywhere through January 2016 at $69.99?

I'm just not convinced by my own argument. It's not stocked by people like me... but well stocked by others on this thread. Maybe more than enough to meet demand. I just think a new Winter set coming out (and Santa's Workshop too) next year will keep a lid on the resale value of this one.

The WVM was top toy during xmas. Lots of people like the carousel. I'd advise wiping amazon's remaining inventory. This thing will fly higher than most of its predecessors. I did not hear that people didnt like the cottage aside from a few posters here. I stocked up last year and it doubled soon after EOL. Most of the people here are resellers, not builders. I wouldnt touch the SW yet. Too much time to load up and by summer, it will be all over the shelves. As another poster mentioned about the dolphin cruiser, right after xmas, it was everywhere. The rookie buyers fell for the xmas prices of SW. It was nothing but a quick flip. I sold it for 145 each. Now its at 100 on ebay. The game is over for now until November.

• Like 1

The WVM was top toy during xmas. Lots of people like the carousel. I'd advise wiping amazon's remaining inventory. This thing will fly higher than most of its predecessors. I did not hear that people didnt like the cottage aside from a few posters here. I stocked up last year and it doubled soon after EOL. Most of the people here are resellers, not builders. I wouldnt touch the SW yet. Too much time to load up and by summer, it will be all over the shelves. As another poster mentioned about the dolphin cruiser, right after xmas, it was everywhere. The rookie buyers fell for the xmas prices of SW. It was nothing but a quick flip. I sold it for 145 each. Now its at 100 on ebay. The game is over for now until November.

Agree 100%. And I was the one that drew the parells with DC.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Brickpicker mobile app

Guest TabbyBoy

These will be probably half-price in John Lewis this Spring, that's how they got rid of Winter stock last year.  I'm ready to clear them out as soon as they arrive on the shelves.

I am surprised this has been on amazon all month at RRP.  buy limit of two may be slowing down sales, but it does raise questions.  Amazon may have a truck load of them, or they may just not be selling.  But either way why is amazon holding them at RRP, while LEGO Shop at Home had them marked down just after christmas?  Santa's Workshop is flying off the shelves, and selling at a premium, and there are rumors of a new WV set coming next year.  But amazon must have their reasons, for not dropping these at all.

I ordered two earlier in the month and the seal codes were 49R3...